xisto Community
Cube Domain1405241509

Addicting And Life-sapping Software on the Internet, I mean

Addicting and Life-sapping Software

A community-invoked list of software on the Internet that you should do your best to avoid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compiled By: The Xisto Community

Created: October 22, 2005

Wow, the Internet! It's always full of surprises. Studies show Internet addiction is quite prevalent among teenagers and adults. Sadly, if you continue with your addiction, you'll eventually wind up restless and working in McDonalds.

The purpose of this guide is for Xisto members to discuss their addiction, warn others, and get help quitting. Most people that are addicted deny it. The signs point to addiction if you:

1) Do it before homework.

2) Spend half the night on it.

3) Other bad things.

Fortunately, there's help! And we're here to help you out as a community.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Myspace. This trend is popular among, well, everyone I guess. I mean, everywhere you go, you'll find phonies talking and exchanging Myspaces. Basically, you make your landmark on the Internet here and make "friends." Friends, my ---. Some friends.

- EverQuest. This massive-multiplayer-online-role-playing-game (MMORPG) can be found in videogame stores. It's funny. A psychologist wanted to figure out what was so addicting about it that they wounded up addicted themselves. Fortunately, they quit to save their job.

- Electrotank. Not really addicting. Just enough.

- Ezboard. It's funny. It actually took a hack-attack just to get people off of this. You will find rumors that God Himself hacked ezboard.

Phew. That's all I can think of on the top of my head. Go ahead, list your past/current addictions and you can get help from this community.

Oh yeah, on the topic of recovery, there is no better way to build character than in the midst of addiction. What better to learn self-control than through the pain of addiction. Christians believe that God has used addiction in their lives to help them grow.

I am reminded of an old saying, don't let the things you own end up owning you. Balance your Internet and videogame time with the call to live a normal life!

Oooohhhh, I have one to add to list: astahost.com; This one eats up all my time. Yes, I am the proud founder of IAIPAA (internet addictees IP address anonymous, a biyearly meeting group for internet addictees). I spend about 8 hours a day at least on Xisto.com. I notice it sapping away at my school productivity, but there is little I can do, I must continue (I am a mod).Oddly enough though, most of things other people are addicted to, like everquest, myspace, blogs, I never view or use. Oh well.~Viz

Astahost.com isn't so bad. That's just my opinion, though.It isn't even that hard to sustain credits. And even if you're a moderator, just look at moonwitch or microscopic^earthling. They aren't really on all the time and OpaQue still lets them keep the job. Granted, Klass was de-modded but that doesn't mean you have to spend 8 hours a day here.Remember, you can get as much done as a moderator in one hour than in eight, if you're productive enough. Efficiency is the key to save you some time.And also, Xisto will go by more smoother for you if you get at least nine and a half hours of sleep (last year I just got 5 but this year I'm changing too), prioritize and don't slack off. After you finish your studies then you can go to Xisto or party or whatever. As long as you get the work done first.

My 100 cents (I'm gonna need about 88 cents back...),

I have to agree with Viz on the sites you listed there, Cube Domain; the fact of the matter is, I've never viewed/played/etc any of those sites/games!

Still, from the descriptions, I could see how they could be addicting games.

I would have to say one of the majorly addicting sites is:

http://www.runescape.com/

That is an insanely addicting game, in my viewpoint - or at least it was... my addiction wore off slightly.

On the matter of Xisto.com addiction, I would say I just really like this site and the forum and like being on here. I find myself spending average of, oh, 4 hours every 2 days or so...

Not bad,

HTML_Guru

I used to be very addictive to different forums, but now I spent less time there, but it still takes my spare time though, for some time now, my most visited sites are localhost and php.net + google and some other communities and news sites, that is more addictive to me now is IRC :)

I want to add ogame.org, a game about building up your universe domination. I think it's quite boring but I was addicted for a short time too and I have to say that I lost a couple of friends to it ;'-(Another addicting thing for me it is too look up my Simpson Bot in my Dashboard. I had nearly every saying already but about once per week I find a new one (gotta check now.. he he). And what does it say: Lenny: Let's make litter of the literati!Carl: That was too clever, you are one of them! [punches him]Wonderful, right?But I hope for all of you that you are seeing this ironically, since I don't really need a cure, I'm just spending a lot of times here sometimes, but life has more priority still.Good luck with finding a way out ^^Ruben

As a college student, I cannot let facebook.com stay off this list.It's like myspace some what. But the design is cleaner and it's a college-only network. You must have a email with a school domain in order to join.

On the matter of Xisto.com addiction, I would say I just really like this site and the forum and like being on here. I find myself spending average of, oh, 4 hours every 2 days or so...

The problem for Xisto with most people isn't addiction, it's time-management. If you balance your time well enough here, you don't have to spend hours a day on it. In fact, you can even sustain credits going on once per week (believe me, I've tried that).

On the matter of Runescape, the cause of most addiction like that isn't the fun factor, it's credibility. People like the high scores, and how people they don't even know admire them.

Cube Domain,

While you are partly correct, I do know of a sort of addiction that tends to be prevalent among the "veteran" users; simply put, in Xisto and among other forums as well that those members that have been there longer will assume dominance or control among other newer users, whether or not they have posted more or are in better standings. That's just what I've observed, though.

Like I said, I have no problem with "time-management" myself, I can spend 3 - 4 hours per every 2 - 3 days on Xisto and I'll have done everything I need to do. Then again, one needs to take into account the actual jobs and tasks of other staff and how they thusly mesh that with their lives.

Eh...

Thanks for your input,

HTML_Guru

Well I must put in my .5 cents here...I find most of the games I've played online addicting...to of that list is an old school Blizzard game called Starcraft Broodwars, along with a few others I've played the most recent being Guild Wars.I personally find MySpace appalling, and stay away but I find that I have a "time managment problem" with the 'net in whole...I can't seem to find enough time to spend on it...lolWell thats my 1/2 cent on the subject...

Xisto.com isn't so bad. That's just my opinion, though.

It isn't even that hard to sustain credits. And even if you're a moderator, just look at moonwitch or microscopic^earthling. They aren't really on all the time and OpaQue still lets them keep the job. Granted, Klass was de-modded but that doesn't mean you have to spend 8 hours a day here.

Remember, you can get as much done as a moderator in one hour than in eight, if you're productive enough. Efficiency is the key to save you some time.

1064327152[/snapback]

First of all, I ALWAYS log in as invisible, only mods and admins can see my name down there :) And m^e does the same LOL... I am still here, I just don't post often. I spent the little time I still have left between school and work on here, you just don't see it, because you don't see the posts I read or delete.

It never was a requirement to be on 24/7 to be a mod or admin, it's about doing the job and doing it right. Granted I have been slacking, but I still ban folks :) (mainly those spamming or posting warez stuff)

Klass was demodded because he asked to be, I did that. He asked me, because he is just too busy to invest the time asta deserves. He's got a full time job, a family... so he's pretty busy. :)

Does that cover it?

As far as life-sapping things, I signed up for NaNoWriMo (http://nanowrimo.org/) which is a writing contest, sorta. You are to start writing at Nov 1st 12.01AM and stop at Nov 30th 11.59PM - in that time your goal is to reach writing a novel of 50.000 words. That's 1667 words per day. And I play a PBEM RPG called USI (http://www.usi-rpg.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) which is fairly time-consuming as well, since I tend to post long and much.

Okay first of all, Klass asked to be demodded, I don't think staying away for a while will get mods or admins (or even members) pnished except in case of lost hoting credits. Also, moon, you're only partly correct, mods see you as an anonymous login as well.~Viz

For me, my addition to this list is livejournal and a couple of fanfiction archives that, due to their content, shall remain nameless. I try to remember to post on livejournal every day, since my livejournal is done in conjunction with another site of mine.

Xisto.com isn't so bad. That's just my opinion, though.

It isn't even that hard to sustain credits. And even if you're a moderator, just look at moonwitch or microscopic^earthling. They aren't really on all the time and OpaQue still lets them keep the job. Granted, Klass was de-modded but that doesn't mean you have to spend 8 hours a day here.

1064327152[/snapback]

He he.. objection.. you don't really kick out the veterans unless they are being a pain in the wrong place :) esp. people who've been around since the beginning days and still going strong. Lotts juice here in these old bones, you see :) Besides, I presume, after having accumulated credits worth well over 2 years time, this lot here is entitled to occasional long breaks. :) Other than myself here, you'll see quite a few other mods/admins who haven't been on in a long while - but that doesn't really count @ asta. It's not how regular you are, but the quality of work you do or have done for this board in the past.

Note that all mods/admins here are handpicked after being evaluated over a long stretch and every SINGLE one has lived up to more than our expectations. That's something we're really proud of - besides being grateful for the fact that all of them are chipping out big chunks of their valuable time to take care of this board. No one gets paid or gets any "special advantages" in terms of hosting - for the great service they're providing. And as moon pointed out, everyone's got their own life/jobs/families to take care of. So there :)