xisto Community
pat23

DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive Help: Not Reading DVDs I need help with my dvd drive

Hey all I need some help and advice, Lately my DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive has been seeming up: I put in a CD, Works fine. I Put in a DVD and the drive spins and the light comes on, but nothing happens, i go my computer and it shows the drive is empty. Is it dieing on me or what is going on?

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Well, Pat, it depends on many factors, really. For example, you haven't told us which formats does your DVD-ROM support (e.g. DVD-R, DVD+R). I admit this shouldn't make a difference, when I deal with a problem, I like to know all about it.Also, have you tried different DVDs, ones that had been working before? Did you install some new software after which your DVD-ROM started acting up? Just try to supply us with as much information as you can.I don't think your drive is dying on you. You said it played a regular CD just fine, didn't you? This greatly reduces the chances of drive failure; although this may have to do with the laser beam itself. But I really can't tell you anything for sure without more information.So I'll be around and hopefully I might be able to help. :)

Well i tried dvds that work before but they will not work either, it just stoped working a while ago, And yes it is running cds and burning cds just fine, and i do not really know what you mean by dvd-r, dvd+r.

Simply put, DVD-R, DVD+R, and the like are different DVD formats. Think of it as the PAL, Secam, and NTSC of DVDs :). If that doesn't ring any bells, either, then never mind. It's no big deal anyway.As to your problem, unfortunately I don't think I can be of much help, since I still don't have enough information. So my best advice to you is, wait a couple of days, maybe someone in here knows what to do and will tell you about a solution. If nobody answers, then maybe you should just get your DVD to a repair shop. I don't think it'd cost too much, since I don't believe it's a big problem in the first place, and secondly because DVDs have become so cheap these days, so how expensive could fixing one get??!!Good luck, man. :)

I can tell you most likely, from what you have said that yesyour drive is dieing. In the majority of the cases of drive failurein combo drives, one side will go out first.Personally I would replace it. Multi Format DVD burners are dirtcheap now. At my shop we sell Dual layered Multi (read ALL) formatDVD burners (which will burn cd's as well) for 79 bucks. So I am surea PC shop near you will sell you one for similar.ViriiGuyP.S. I find LG's Dual Layer DVD burners to be the best bang for the buck. I can burn a dual layered DVD in under 30 mins.

Hey all

I need some help and advice, Lately my DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive has been seeming up:

I put in a CD, Works fine.

I Put in a DVD and the drive spins and the light comes on, but nothing happens, i go my computer and it shows the drive is empty.

Is it dieing on me or what is going on?

1064327082[/snapback]

I know what is going on with your DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive. This also has happen to me early this year. I tried so many way but the computer still cannot read my DVDs.

I'm sorry to tell you that the problem lies in your Windows OS, not your combo drive. Your Windows OS might be corrupted maybe through internet virus. I'm telling you personally to reformat your computer and your combo drive will be as new as the first time you bought it

I'm sorry to tell you that the problem lies in your Windows OS, not your combo drive

Too late, pat23 just bought his new drive.By the way, I had exactly the same problem last year, my DVD device stopped reading DVD's, I bought a new one and everything works fine now.
The only real answer would have been to put the faulty drive in another computer : if a drive works bad on two comuputes, it's probably due to a drive failure. And if a new drive works in pat23's computer, this means the Windows OS was not faulty.

Hello, I have a similar problem but I changed for a new drive and continues to have the same problem, although some improvements with new drive in that it now reads a dvd I have purchased, but anything that has been written by me or someone else it does not recognize, I think it must be software but does anyone have any advice what specifically it would be and where to start, thanks..

Could corrupt software be the cause for DVD/CD combo players to stop working ?

DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive Help: Not Reading DVDs

It is corrupt windows OS that is causing the DVD combo drives to suddenly stop working and ejecting most of the dvd or cds that are loaded.

I had a similar problem a year ago.Rebooting or reinstalling the Windows OS worked .But the same problem recurred after eight months.Again, reinstalling Windows worked for me .

The present problem I am facing is that the software is corrupt yet again but my drive won't even read my installation cds for me to be able to reinstall .

A brand new external DVD player connected to the lappy won't work either .So, I am guessing that it is the corrupt software that is causing the combo drive to stop working

-Compuenthusiast

Feedbacker

Replying to Feedbacker

Look in you device manager. REmove the secondary IDE and restart. Check that the IDE channel is DMA and not PIO. That fixed mines, and mines reads some DVD's not all. That I don't know why.

-Nazeem

Wrong answer

Replying to altsr

I reformatted mine 100 times and nothing, ive tried every suggested thread and nothing, Ive tried codecs to re-installs.

This junk just stopped working too and its brand new.. Memorex dual layer/ dual format..

-Mike

problem with cd dvd burner

If I insert a dvd that has rw options if the disk has somethin on it my burner will keep it a dvd if the disk is dlank it will change the disk that in to a cd read then when I go to burn a dvd say a movie the burner will stop about 45% into record it stop and tells me failed can you help

Burner is a lights on the program is a nero 7.10 on a windows xp sys

can you help?

thank you jim

-question by Jim Fretts

DVD/CD writeable driveDVD/CD-RW Combo Drive Help: Not Reading DVDs

My drive will read CDs, write CDs (R and RW), play and read DVDs (movies), but will not write to a DVD (either +R or -R, Sony or Arvchival Gold).

Of course the only thing I really need to do is write to a DVD now.  :PThe drive is from 2006 (as is the PC) -- do I need to buy a new drive? Why does one function fail but not the others??

Lenovo 3000-J series, the drive is a "DVD Multi Recorder, DVD+R DL RW, CD-RW" drive. 

Only changes I made in the tower was installing a new terrabyte HD a couple of months ago -- but I didn't touch the writeable drive! (Can't remember if this worked since then or not...)

Any ideas?  Thanks.