xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kid Saiyan

I Need A Few Tips On Creating Brushes In Photoshop For Photoshop, that is...

Umm...need some tips and guidelines for photoshop.Im not very good because , mainly , i dont use brushes. I use only filters.All the brushes that i have are alright...but im interested in creating my own.I hope someone here can help me...can you? ANyone?My friend told me how to create brshes but that was for a different program.Im stuck.Oh yeah! The program i use is Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and i use Adobe Photoshop 9 CS2.If there is anything that anyone can do to help me, please help! :):)

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Umm...need some tips and guidelines for photoshop.

Im not very good because , mainly , i dont use brushes. I use only filters.

All the brushes that i have are alright...but im interested in creating my own.

I hope someone here can help me...can you? ANyone?

My friend told me how to create brshes but that was for a different program.

Im stuck.

Oh yeah! The program i use is Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and i use Adobe Photoshop 9 CS2.

If there is anything that anyone can do to help me, please help!  :)  :)

1064327076[/snapback]

Creating your own brushes is actually quite easy and a very good way to make your work more interesting.

When people over-use the brushes provided with photoshop, it can make your work look sort of amateur.

So here is how you do it:

Go to File > New or press CTRL N

Set the Color Mode to Grayscale

For this example let's set the background contents to "Transparent"

You can make it any size that you want, but it's probably a good idea to not make it really small.

If you make it too small the brush will only look good at small sizes and will blur at larger scales.

Click ok

Now draw whatever you want the brush to look like. You can do whatever you want.

If you want to use the brush for textures you can even paste in little pieces of close-up photos of rocks or whatever.

When you are done designing the brush, you need to make a selection of the shape of the brush.

You can use the magic wand tool to select whatever shape you have made,

or you can use the lasso to select just part of the object you made.

When you have made your selection go to Edit > Define Brush Preset

It will prompt you for a name, so give it a name.

Now open your brushes pallete and your new brush should be in there (at the bottom of the list)! WOO YAY! :)

Thanks a million man, I never knew how to make our own brush sets. It is really very useful to have custom brushes as that gives you enough control over them. I would soon make a set of brushes and post them here.Now I wont need to search over internet for those abstract brushes and tools :).Anyway if still someone wants to download them then try:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ would find useful brush sets there. I would recommend to make your own though.Thanks Foolakadugie once againSpeedy

Creating your own brushes is actually quite easy and a very good way to make your work more interesting. 

When people over-use the brushes provided with photoshop, it can make your work look sort of amateur.

So here is how you do it:

Go to File > New or press CTRL N

Set the Color Mode to Grayscale

For this example let's set the background contents to "Transparent"

You can make it any size that you want, but it's probably a good idea to not make it really small. 

If you make it too small the brush will only look good at small sizes and will blur at larger scales.

Click ok

Now draw whatever you want the brush to look like. You can do whatever you want. 

If you want to use the brush for textures you can even paste in little pieces of close-up photos of rocks or whatever. 

When you are done designing the brush, you need to make a selection of the shape of the brush. 

You can use the magic wand tool to select whatever shape you have made,

or you can use the lasso to select just part of the object you made.

When you have made your selection go to Edit > Define Brush Preset

It will prompt you for a name, so give it a name.

Now open your brushes pallete and your new brush should be in there (at the bottom of the list)! WOO YAY!  :)

1064327269[/snapback]

Oh wow!

Thanks!

It really works!

Like Spoeedy said, thanks a lot!

Wow...ive started improving already! I hope i can become a professional graphocs designer soon!

Thanks again!

Thanks, man!I've been wondering about this sort of thing in the back of my mind, now here it is right in front of me!No more using grunge/distressed brushes that are canned and of poor quality! I'll just make my own.

Thanks, man!
I've been wondering about this sort of thing in the back of my mind, now here it is right in front of me!

No more using grunge/distressed brushes that are canned and of poor quality! I'll just make my own.

Yeah definitely. Free brush sets are nice, but they are over used and generic. It is always nice to make a custom set specifically for your individual projects.