xisto Community
ViriiGuy

How To Lay Out A Proper Airmap In Your Pc The quick and Dirty method....

Hello, Working in computers for the last 13 years, I have noticed one thingover and over and over. Too many PC's die simply because the hotair inside them had no where to go. In general computers generate a good ammount of heat, and this sameheat will cause failure in your componets very early on in their life. So what we want to do is this, we want to make sure that your PC has afresh supply of clean cool air.(Note!!!! This does require you are inside you PC case... Stay groundedand try not to touch anything you dont need to touch)(Second Note!!! This is aimed at ATX Mid-Tower cases. The layout is fairly standard for this layout.)First things first, unplug your computer from the wall. Ok if you take the case side off your PC, usually on the left side, with twoscrews holding it on. If you remove this you will notice most likely that yourpower supply is at the top back of the case, (big silver box likely) and yourCPU is right underneath it. Now these two items generate the majority ofthe heat in your system. Not all, but most of it. So what we want to do isdirect this heat out of the case in the most direct route. Most ATX power supplies have an 80mm fan in the back. On MOST of themthis fan blows air out into the room. If this is not the case you should take apartyour power supply and turn the fan around so it blows out. Also if your powersupply has long slots cut into the case all the way around, you can take a flat head screwdriver and bend every other fin out. Do this by placeing the flatheadbehind a fin and slightly turning it each direction. You will see the fin buckle outand the fin next to it buckle in. Do this all the way around. Do so will allow moreair into your power supply. Now on the front bottom of your case SHOULD be a place or two for mountingan 80mm fan or two. you will notice it by the perforated metal and 4 screw holes.If so great, put 1 or 2 80mm fans in this location, with them pulling air in from the outside front of the case. If you case does not have a spot for these, a quickgoogle search will bring up many how-to's on drilling your case for a new fan.On the back of your case, beside your back panel for all your ports is likely a spotfor another 80mm fan. If so place a fan or two there, blowing out again. What thisdoes is create a path of fresh air that flows over your motherboard and CPU pullingthe heat along behind it.Quick and Dirty I know, but this gives you the basic information with which tostart your own computer case mods.ViriiGuy

Great how-to. Fortunately, the only major hardware problem I had was an old Win'95 machine's powerpack blew up. They make some pretty decent sparks lol.I thought that it would be a better idea if there was a fan on top, that sucked the warm air out, as heat rises.

I got a better idea ... get rid of the side panel altogether :huh:. Makes it easier to fix and remove your hard drives and plenty of air circulation all around. Or atleast, it won't die of overheating :).On a more serious note, cool howto. These are some easy points that anyone can do to their PC case.