xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
evion

Hogwarts Role-playing Site Review First one i ever reviewed.

Well seeing so many people reviewing their sites i thought maybe i should review my site too. I'm a total amatuer designer especially when it comes to php coz i only work with HTML but I'm still not exactly good at either. Of course a bunch of you whom i have asked questions from must've been eager to find some productive work done from me (referring to vujsa here especially, i needed that php help!).

So I've installed phpnuke, picked a random nice theme from out of Google Search and started looking through the php in the theme. Luckily for me, i chose a pretty basic and simple theme that i could actually make out. Right now i haven't edited any php yet (Sorry vujsa!) but I've done some editing on the HTML part of the theme. Its really not all that much but i needed motivation and some advice. It's designed for IE but works with Firefox too. Needs alot of work from my part and I'm not intending on releasing it out till the end of November.

Here comes.....: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I've tried to make it look as professional as possible (please ignore the footer =P), going to add a shoutbox soon as one of the blocks but having big difficulties with the php editing. I totally want to adjust the account creating page but have no idea how. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for everything in advance!

P.S. Feel free to sign up and browse around to look for any flaws that you might encounter. Just remember, its a ROLE-PLAYING site, keep the role-playing atmosphere! :)

Pretty nice, at first I thought the layout was a very horrible looking throw together, but then I realised it was still loading, when it was done it was actually pretty good.

I have one suggestion though, you should add some games (I can help with this if you want)
Also some courses for some fun HP related trivia and stuff, try Moodle.

Hmm...yeah it DOES look horrible when it is loading heh. Well i'm a big fan of Harry Potter so decided to make one. Thanks for your idea but after all my hard work put into nuke i don't think i can take the change. If you're willing to help me out i wouldn't mind one bit. Games is something of a challenge for me. This is role-playing game so anything related to the HP books is totally out of it except in the bulletins. Tho the Trivia might work for some courses....thanks for the review!

Looks great :). I'd join, but I can't stand Harry Potter. :)

Just a suggestion ... try making the background fixed and no-repeat. Might look better. Just use

<body style="background:url('path to castle.gif') fixed no-repeat;" >

Ahh yes, if you'll try viewing the site in IE, you'll see the background is fixed i couldn't find the code for fixed in REAL official HTML format heh i only know the body tag. Thanks abhiram, I'll work on it immediately.

WOOOT!!!
HOORAY!!!!
CHEERS!!!

Or anything other congratulating verse you can think of for me 'cause i just edited my first bit of php!!! Whee! And because I'm so happy for myself being able to edit just that small bit of php i shall post about it here!

From......

function themeheader() {    global $user, $banners, $sitename, $slogan, $cookie, $prefix, $dbi;    cookiedecode($user);    $username = $cookie[1];    if ($username == "") {        $username = "Anonymous";    }    echo "<body background=\"themes/IceCold/images/bg.jpg\"bgproperties=\"fixed\"topmargin=\"10\"leftmargin=\"0\"marginwidth=\"0\"marginheight=\"0\" text=\"#ffffff\" link=\"#ffffff\" vlink=\"#ffffff\" alink=\"#ffffff\">";    if ($banners == 1) {	include("banners.php");

To......
function themeheader() {    global $user, $banners, $sitename, $slogan, $cookie, $prefix, $dbi;    cookiedecode($user);    $username = $cookie[1];    if ($username == "") {        $username = "Anonymous";    }    echo "<body background=\"themes/IceCold/images/bg.jpg\"style=\"background:url('themes/IceCold/images/bg.jpg') fixed no-repeat;\"topmargin=\"10\"leftmargin=\"0\"marginwidth=\"0\"marginheight=\"0\" text=\"#ffffff\" link=\"#ffffff\" vlink=\"#ffffff\" alink=\"#ffffff\">";    if ($banners == 1) {	include("banners.php");

Ok...so maybe its not that much, but it worked! The first time i tried though it didn't turn out right and i had to reset everything now its great! BG is fixed even on Firefox! Lovin it! :) Thanks abhiram! *Hops around happily and flies out the window*