xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pat23

Norton Or Kaspersky: Which Is Better?

You can forget about Norton, a friend of mine had a virus on her pc with Norton installed, she got one of Norton's agents to check her computer and even he couldn't delete the virus, I found this amusing, I went to her house, uninstall-ed Norton, used the kaspersky 30 trial version, it detected 4 viruses trojan. Banker a very dangerous trojan and kaspersky just deleted it, no questions asked, so there you go kaspersky wins.It is expensive though, if you want to take my recommendation get kaspersky antivirus or the internet security version with firewall included, Do you use internet explorer?If yes ----- FORGET IT No matter how many anti virus or spyware detectors you have you will always find your pc full of spyware eventually,Use FIREFOX instead of internet explorer, everyone I know that has antivirus, firewalls and anti-spyware, they always end up getting spyware on their pc simply because of internet explorer,Ever since I started using firefox I never found any spyware on my system, -reply by lost ping

Well...I used to have Norton installed on my PC but I wud disagree with Abhiram that Norton doesn't require your RAM as much as kaspersky do.My computer was used to be slower when I used Norton but now I use Kaspersky and I think its worlds best.Even the real time does not slow your pc. and its very easy to use. but you have to update it after every 2 days.and it worksss greattttt... I wud go with Kaspersky

I personally use nod32 2.7 on both my computers. I set it up to only scan internet traffic and if i download a file once in a while i will scan it manually. That way i don't notice the any speed difference at all. Its like have not av at all, and just as secure for me... problem is though if other people use your computer and nod32 is not the best detector of all. avg and kaspersky are good but i vote for avg because its free

I completely agree

Norton Or Kaspersky: Which Is Better?

Replying to Feedbacker

Internet Explorer is the single most deadly tool to get you a virus. And I recommend Mozilla Firefox to everyone around me. I just really don't understand though why so many people are so stubborn and reluctant to use Firefox -- Its a real life saver.

I would almost go to the point of saying that switching to Mozilla is equivalent, maybe even better than using Internet Explorer paired with an antivirus...

Plus other than its efficiency with stopping undesirable files entering your computer, its an absolutely superb browser with so many great functions, many which Microsoft copied off (such as the multi-tabbing which Mozilla were the first to implement).

And ya obviously virus-sense is something you just develop over time: sometimes you can just tell that something looks fishy.

So 2 words of advice to stop viruses:

Firefox + don't do anything foolishly stupid

With that you should be just fine, without any antivirus whatsoever.

Hope this was helpful

DSG

-reply by Aztek Viking

Which of this two antivirus programs are better? NORTON or KASPERSKY? My copy of Norton is going to expire in a month, and i am just getting something esle. But i want to know which is better?
Norton is well known the antivirus world, and are okay.

Kaspersky has been recommeded by a few freinds and my prevouis webhost.

So which one do you all think is better?

Kaspersky is better. Norton is making computer slow and noting doing with viruses. I recommend you use KAV2009.

My norton security is just about to expire in a couple of days. I've been looking at both McAfee and Kaspersky and I'm not sure which one to go with. I've read that Kaspersky really uses alot of RAM, any suggestions?-question by newuser

Kaspersky as an anti-virus is excellent. It's detection methods are much superior to Norton. Norton's database uses an exact copy of the viruses to cross check against with the files on your computer whereas kaspersky uses a method which looks for characteristic parts in the code which can be used to identify a virus.
But Kaspersky's real-time protection is very memory-hogging. I've tried it and it eats away your RAM like crazy. Norton is pretty good for everyday use, but on my comp with 256 MB RAM, I had to chuck it in favour of PC-Cillin which though is not as good as Norton, it uses less memory and it gets the job done.

Why don't you try out one of the free anti-viruses available like AVG or something? Try googling and see if you can find any. I've never tried any of them, but if they do their job well, you can save some money.

Hi,

I always found myself in a trouble regarding the decision to choose from different anti-virus softwares available. Can anyone clear my doubts as i have no knowledge about these What are the criterions to be considered before using any anti-virus software? How to distinguish between good and excellent anti-virus?

Thanks

I have just recently changed over to Kaspersky and I now think that is much better then Norton. Kaspersky's memory usage is a little on the high side, but no where near as much as Norton had on my computer.The other thing I like is that Kaspersky's subscription charges are less then Norton, only by a little, but it all counts! Overall, i believe that it is a good solution and their support is great!

Actually, even I got a super fast computer and a lot of memory.I still won't go with Norton as it has high memory usage.Also, it installed too many services on the system and most of thesestarting up at the time when system start.It totally slow down system initial boot time even when opeating the system.So I instead go with mcafee or another version that use less memory.

I would prefer Kaspersky, since it is much faster than Norton and uses less resources. also, kaspersky's AV databases are frequently updated. I found Norton to be quite sluggish and uses a lot of RAM.... but i heard that the 2009 version was much better.

Something that no one else has mentioned is Avast, its free and i have never had any trouble with it, works perfectly and has stopped a number of viri and trojans from being executed on my computer from malicious websites.

Oh of course Kaspersky... Norton takes up too much resources as most of you all know, and Kaspersky is known to stop more viruses and malicious software on your computer than Norton. There is also the online scanner that Kaspersky has which is probably the most genius thing online wise I've seen thus far. Hopefully Kaspersky keeps releasing better programs against malicious software. It would be a shame for them to stop!

I always knew that Norton is using lots of resources and thought that Kaspersky is much better, but I've read some articles, that today Kaspersky also is slowing down, I'm not 100% sure though, some of my friends also said that, that is the reason they moved to avast or something like that, but if I only could choose from both, still Kaspersky would be my choice :rolleyes:

I used to use Norton because it was the best known anti-virus back in the day but I found it rather resouce hogging and it lagged my computer (which is rather old). I've changed to Kaspersky now and found it to run much smoother.In terms of antivirus capabilities I think the 2 are both excellent and top of the class when it comes to detection and removal. Overall I would still recommend Kaspersky based on personal preference.