xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pat23

Norton Or Kaspersky: Which Is Better?

Which of this two antivirus programs are better? NORTON or KASPERSKY? My copy of Norton is going to expire in a month, and i am just getting something esle. But i want to know which is better?Norton is well known the antivirus world, and are okay.Kaspersky has been recommeded by a few freinds and my prevouis webhost. So which one do you all think is better?

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Kaspersky as an anti-virus is excellent. It's detection methods are much superior to Norton. Norton's database uses an exact copy of the viruses to cross check against with the files on your computer whereas kaspersky uses a method which looks for characteristic parts in the code which can be used to identify a virus. But Kaspersky's real-time protection is very memory-hogging. I've tried it and it eats away your RAM like crazy. Norton is pretty good for everyday use, but on my comp with 256 MB RAM, I had to chuck it in favour of PC-Cillin which though is not as good as Norton, it uses less memory and it gets the job done. Why don't you try out one of the free anti-viruses available like AVG or something? Try googling and see if you can find any. I've never tried any of them, but if they do their job well, you can save some money.

Good Choice!!! Kaspersky is worlds better than Norton, though I say that as an out-and-out enemy of Norton products. Forget about actually USING your computer if you're running their stuff. That said, Kaspersky is quite the hog as well. I tried them both and came away dissatisfied. Than after trying eztrust, mcafee, panda, and others, I found my latest baby... NOD32. Anti-virus program with (so far, in my experience) the lowest resource usage, even with full real-time scanning enabled, updates at least once a day for the latest viruses, and has won awards for best detection of wild viruses. Can't get better than that. ...though they could, with a firewall included. That's the only downside.

I personally use AVG also. I have used this free edition of AVG for years now and haven't ran into any problems that it can't handle.If you want a paid antivirus program NOD32, mentioned by Grafitti, should be pretty good also. I seen users saying (here at Xisto I think even :)) that it's a great antivirus. I guess you can give their trial download a test drive before you buy it.

Personally, I have used Kaspesky for years and I feel that it is realiable and the virus detection was really fantastics and i even got hook by this antivirus & i am even using it till this days. Last time I was using Norton Antivirus but i feel that Kaspersky is better in sense of virus detection and it always update regularly in a single day itself. So, I would recommend Kaspersky Antivirus Personal. :)

According to the results of AV, Kaspesky is by far the best anti-virus solution. However, don't load all your eggs in one basket. I use CA eTrust Antivirus, and nothing gets on the machine. However, this does not mean it can't. I suggest you get two or three antiviruses (if you can), that way you keep your system going. I know antiviruses can conflict, but I have only seen that happen with Norton rubbish.

i would go for kaspersky which has quality virus scan, but is't slow on full system scan. Narton eats to much RAM and it's not realy reliable.

Kaspersky seems to be the better choice. Norton is a lot of heavy to the pcs and really slow down your machine. Kaspersky is even better and I thing is a great solution to the present and future.At the moment I don't use a anti-virus and believe I don't have any problem. I only use ad-aware SE to spyware and the firewall of windows. All free and without any problems.