xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jedipi

Microsoft Critical Patch Can Cause Serious Problem

Installing the patch (MS05-051), which was released Tuesday
to fix four Windows flaws in Windows 2000, Windows XP
and Windows Server 2003 is causing serious problems for some users.

according to C|Net News.com, users will be locked out of their PC,
the Windows Firewall wont be started, certain applications may
be blocked from running or installing, and the network connections
folder will be emptied. This happen only when you change the
default permission settings on a Windows directory.

The solution is unstall this patch or restore the default permissions
for the Windows folder and the COM+ catalog.

Here is a guide on the Microsoft Web site, and steps start with
changing the permissions on the "registration" folder in the Windows directory.

http://dw.com.com/r.html

Lol. Ah well, you've gotta give it to Microsoft. They love their money, but they do try to fix a lot of things, and give lots of support. In their attempts to fix something, every now and again something's going to go wrong. I like XP. It's one of the better OS's I've used but my experience is very limited. Hopefully (as I have mentioned plenty of times), when I format I'll partition my drive and install a copy of Linux as well. Thanks for the update on the security patch, since I'm on dial-up, I usually don't downlaod the newest patches, but I have SP2. I'm sure a lot of people will find this useful.

The GOLDEN RULE is never, Never, NEVER... download crap from Microsoft, and I mean ANYTHING, including PATCHES...UPDATES, and SECURITY PATCHES, until they are at least 4-6 months old.When have you even know Bill Gates and Microsoft turn out ANYTHING that someone else didn't have to fix? Windows 98SE still had about 60 flaws when they stopped servicing it. XP is still over the 300 mark... I dont even want to think about Vista yet..... (((shivers)))

So not only does it try to fix the problem, it also creates another? Man, Microsoft need to hire some reliable programmers these days who can make something that doesn't cause problems back. It's like one of those advertisements you see on tv with a million side effects, so annoying to hear them say it so fast at the end too. Anyways, I hope there is a patch for this patch that patches everything ;PI kind of don't understand how this was never seen in the first place, the small exploit I mean. Did they know about it, but just waited for it to first be noticed? Or was it because they wanted more time to try to find a way to patch it in secretcy? The enigma I tell you!

Well, fire fox has more security holes in the first quarter of its release than IE 6.0 had!see nothing is perfect. Firefox server gets hacked more often than any other software site.well nothing is perfect, neither is linux. its just that 90% of the world uses Windows as its OS, its more creative to find flaws in Windows. If the same effort is put into finding flaws in Linux, even it wud become just as unsecure.Its just like, even if i find a Linux flaw, i cant show off with it... after all not a single person is my neighbourhood runs linux and i am the only one. whereas i find one windows flaw, i become the messiah of my habitat :))

Well, just to show that Micro$oft never test their patches. They think it works, but it doesn't. Maybe they think it doesn't work and it still doesn't :).Anyways, I'm on Linux, and we have never found a critical flaw. Not even a buffer overflow. Most flaws are minor. Lagging the machine a bit, and those stuff. Why? It's because Linux has a whole community on its back to cover everyone. All for one and one for all.xboxrulz