xisto Community
pomjim

Norton Price Rises more reasons to get freeware?

They probably have to pay me to use their products. I never liked any of their programs due to the stability issues that many users experience when using it. I mean it's great when it works, but if it starts bombing out on you, it can be a huge pain to fix it up (even uninstalling it gives you a migraine sometimes).So why do people buy it? Mainly because they think it's the best since it's more well-known than all the other competition out there like Grisoft AVG for one.

Norton have announced their product updates will increase by up to 30% next month.

So, why would people pay so much money when you can get product which is just as good/better, for free?

1064326337[/snapback]

Hah! If Norton really goes through with the price increase, a LOT of their customers will say "forget it" and try something else. I'm actually going to tell my mom about this Norton increase thing the next time I talk with her so that she doesn't bother renewing her subscription when it's due. I'll be sure to hook her up with a better setup that won't cost her anything but will still work ... sort of like the stuff I'm using.

After removing norton systemworks 2003, I haven't used it since. It was annoying at what uninstalling systemworks did to my system. A few .dll files were gone or corrupted, my windows search engine wouldn't work, and my system just didn't operate the same. It was incredibly not what I expected. Now days I use Avast (freeware), with a little bit of NOD32 thrown in and like 5 different spyware appz. All freeware. My machines doing fine, but considering I'm still on dial-up, most of my worries are spyware from when I was on campus with broadband connection. I have most of them under control.

Norton have announced their product updates will increase by up to 30% next month.

So, why would people pay so much money when you can get product which is just as good/better, for free?

1064326337[/snapback]

What free products are you talking about? antivirus-wise.

bachdot

Freeware programs (a in... the legal ones) often do have their limitations as to what they can do... generally it's better to pay for a program. I do discourage Norton anyways. XD

Out of the free Anti-Virus solutions available ( and I'm talking obviously for the win32 platform), we have four main contenders:

1. Grisoft's AVG

2. Avast

3. AntiVir

4. The OpenSource ClamWin

All of them have their pros and cons like memory usage, interface design and of course the detection rate. In any case, I think it's safe to say that all of them protect the average user quite well from the most commonly rampant viruses/trojans/worms floating around. Constant vigilance is the best way to keep your system free from threats and running as it should.

An independent review of the antivirus applications made in 2005 is available here.

In the end, the choice is for you, the end user to make.

People only use norton because everyone else uses it. I can't really see the difference in most anti-virus programs, I think its more on a person's taste on avs. Some program don't have a nice looking interface, so people without computer knowledge just think that those simply suck (i like that, simply suck haha, not funny). Anyway norton isn't that good anyway, they slow your machine down a lot

I hate Norton. It doesn't update fast enough, so after it updates, there are new viruses still in your computer. It has some serious stability issues, it will just mess itself up out of nowhere on a scan, it's overpriced, and to destroy some viruses you have to do a bunch of stuff manually because thier scan isn't capable of destroying it by itself. I try to tell everyone not to use norton just as much as I tell everyone not to use Internet Explorer, Which is quite a bit.

Another reason to switch to Linux and get rid of those slimy viruses for ever. :o