xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheN00b101

Where, Oh Where To Start.. Anyone Have Time On Their Hands?

Can anyone take the time to really help a n00b?

A friend and I would like to learn how to use Java and C and C++ programs (among other things). We've searched the tutorial pages on all of those applications, but, because we are who we are, we're sorta still not grasping it.

Can anyone walk us through these applications step by step if it's not too much trouble? All serious help would be greatly accepted.

-----This is not a tutorial. I'm moving this to the Tutorial Requests section-----szupie

Edited by szupie (see edit history)

Hi TheN00b101 My first peice of serious advice would actually be to start at your local library instead of the tutorials because even at university all the set works for programing languages came from books and it would also allow you and your friend to go at your own pace because the book is there and you can read sections over again if you didnt get it the first time.

Sounds like you're expecting to have someone tutoring you:P, which is impossible .I'm a freshman at the Delft University of Technology and we've started working on java there too, we use a book called "object oriented programming with java, an introduction from David J. Barnes", it's a very good book and it explains a lot in detail. Downside is that the price is a bit high (somewhere around €60). But ofcourse... ahem.... there's probably a.... cough cough... pdf...cough cough... around somewhere.

Sounds like you're expecting to have someone tutoring you:P, which is impossible .

I'm a freshman at the Delft University of Technology and we've started working on java there too, we use a book called "object oriented programming with java, an introduction from David J. Barnes", it's a very good book and it explains a lot in detail. Downside is that the price is a bit high (somewhere around âŹ60). But ofcourse... ahem.... there's probably a.... cough cough... pdf...cough cough... around somewhere.

1064326468[/snapback]

Hehe, Ok, thanks guys. I'll be sure to check it out, maybe not the pdf part, but I'll look into it. My friend and I were looking about where to get it started, and you guys more than fulfilled my question. Thanks!

I agree with the others on this. If you don't have any real programming experience or knowledge, a book will help a lot.I suggest finding a book talks about a specific use of the language like a Java for web design book. This will give you some basis to work from. If you have an idea of what the end product will be before you get started, you'll have an easier time learning. The next suggestion is particularly imporrtant. Learn one language at a time. I suggest an easier language like PHP but as long as you pick one and learn it you'll be ok. After you get the basics down for one language, the general rules for all of the languages is similar. So you second or third language will be easier to learn because you really only have to learn the language specific parts of the language. Here is the best part of all this though. If you leaarn a single programming or scripting language well enough, you may never need another language again. Being able to manipulate a language to do what you want is powerful enough to get almost any language to do wwhat you need. While some languages are easier to accomplish certain functions, most languages are able if you write your program corectly.Hope this helps. ;)vujsa

Get a book, it's much better to learn that from a book than from a webpage.I have a great book for C: A Book on C - Programming in C (Benjamin/Cummings Publishing co.). Realy great one, too bad I don't have much time and inspiration to learn and write programs ;)

I would have to agree with getting a book...I've been learning the hard way and giving the good people here on Xisto a real head ache at times I'm sure...especially Vujsa, who I must say has great patients when helping me. (Bows in the Great Vujsa's direction most humbly)People around here can help with pointers and possibly pointing you in the right direction, which they have with some very good book titles, and I'm sure they will undoubtably be helping you in the future should you need it. This is a great, and understanding, community.Hope to see ya back....