xisto Community
smyke

Www.rapidshare.de a good place to place your files

This is a site people does not know as it deserves to ! It's simple : You can upload any file you want (50Mb limit, but split archives are allowed) without even needing to register ! How ? Simple : at the main page there are 2 small boxes : Chose and Upload ! First you chose wich file you want to upload, and then you click upload and it will be uploaded ! After that you will get the file's link and a destroy link, wich means that if you want to erase the file, you should clik that link ! If another person wants to download your file, you give them the file's link, they click it, and then they have to chose between 2 ways of downloading it : Free and Premium ! For a Premium account you will have to pay ! The differences are : Download Speed : Slow vs Fast;Support For Download Accelerators : No vs Yes; Support for resuming downloads : No vs Yes; Download without hour-limits : No vs Yes; Downloads start instantly : No (for this one you will have to wait 10 seconds before you are reserved a download ticket and then you get the link) vs Yes; Max. parallel downloads : 1 Vs Unlimited; Extra slots, if servers are full : No vs YesRapidShare URL-Checker : No vs YesRapidShare Direct-Downloads : No vs YesDays without any downloads, until uploaded files are deleted : 30 vs 90 It may seem that the free download is a waste of time, but... it's actualy pretty good ! the only thing is that you have to do to download... is : click free... wait for 10 seconds till you get the link, and then download the file at a reasonable download speed ! You can upload as many files if you want, but there is a certain limit concerning the number of downloads per hour (2 or 3) !I'm not a fan of german sites... but this one is in english... so in my point of view it has a 9/10 because it's usefullness !

BUT: rapidshare is definitively one of the better bad sites.yousendit.com (1GB filesize limit) is a big bluff, the speed is really bad and you need to download an download program from their website, which is not available on macintosh. (if you dont have it the download will abort for some strange reason).does anyone know something in between? i would like to have like 100 Megs on some server where I can upload by FTP, because this is most convenient.greets,ruben

I don't like RapidShare that much because of the download limitations that some of you mentioned earlier. I usually go to YouSendIt or other similar services like it. The speed is pretty decent actually and the only downside with YouSendIt is that it expires after 7 days I think.Not sure what you mean about a program you need to download to use it. I don't recall having to download a program in order to do the upload of files.

Why don't you just host files on your own webspace, rather than using these terrible file download/upload sites?I really don't like these sites, all the ones I've used have been reeaaallllyyy sslllooowwww... and there are so many ads, and things telling you to pay for thier service, etcI think they're all a big con, seeeing as you cuold host them yourself in less time, with less hassle and a faster download speed, without having to look at a load of ads.But, that's just my opinion, I'm sure you all think differently :)

Why don't you just host files on your own webspace, rather than using these terrible file download/upload sites?I really don't like these sites, all the ones I've used have been reeaaallllyyy sslllooowwww... and there are so many ads, and things telling you to pay for thier service, etc
I think they're all a big con, seeeing as you cuold host them yourself in less time, with less hassle and a faster download speed, without having to look at a load of ads.

Well, considering the fact that you can store UNLIMITED files... it's better than hosting it at my own site, wich is 90% full almost all the time, because i use a free-hosting service, and i guess 80-90% of the internet users are using a free hosting service, if at all ! I said that this is a very good site because it is FREE ! And they have to compesate the fact that you don't pay for this to keep the site up !

I don't like RapidShare that much because of the download limitations that some of you mentioned earlier. I usually go to YouSendIt or other similar services like it. The speed is pretty decent actually and the only downside with YouSendIt is that it expires after 7 days I think.

And yes, YousendIt it's a very good alternative to this site beacause you can download/upload the files faster, but after 7 days the files are deleted, and it could be quite disturbing sometimes.... !

You misunderstood me.What I was *****ing about You Send It was not that you need a prog to upload, but when you d o w n l o a d.You are not forced to do so, but when I tried to download a file a friend send me on my Mac, the download always broke down after 6 MB (of 200) and I could not resume it, because it pretended to be finished. Pretty annoying. Then they supply a download app which works around that bug, but it only works on windows and I hate to download extra apps, which such little use. Especially if I have to emulate ***** windows to use them...

All these Website is very bad and not giving u the suitable bandwith to download the files u need.

1064326263[/snapback]

I have to agree with gamalocka. These sites will urge you to go premium SO BAD. And yes... we're at a severe disadvantage when doing this. People are getting greedier and greedier. I wish people would just try to make the payments cover the server maintenance and a LITTLE bit to support themselves. At least be humble, guys :)

okay, here are my views on things, rapidshare is a good host, the 50mb is a little limiting and its doesnt make people happy when they have a free account and have to download 70 parts for a program you want and it wont work unless you have all the parts( only alowing 50mb an hour which in most cases is 1 download per hour!) althought premium account is worth it, still the free account of other users do get a little annoye with thier download limit..

i much rather prefer megaupload mostly because thier upload rate is nice and fast plus you get to password your file and upload via ftp/http which is pretty cool, and if you have a platinum account (like me) you get to paid for popular files (i think $6 for 1000 downloads) the first host to pay you to host your files ;) but thier download rate has gone threw the floor resently (5kb/s) even with my platinum account, i got no idea whats goin on with them, im sending them an email soon enough....

BUT: rapidshare is definitively one of the better bad sites.yousendit.com (1GB filesize limit) is a big bluff, the speed is really bad and you need to download an download program from their website, which is not available on macintosh. (if you dont have it the download will abort for some strange reason).
does anyone know something in between? i would like to have like 100 Megs on some server where I can upload by FTP, because this is most convenient.

greets,
ruben

you dont need to download a program, its just a bug and this fixes it, some people have the bug some dont, and i think yousendit is a joke as well because i tried hosting a 50 meg file and it went fine but i tried hosting anothe rjust after it and 3 hours later i find that i had a 404 error... which is pretty stupid....as for your inbetween i would suggest megaupload, getting paid to host your files and they have an ftp/http upload (which means give them the address to the file and they upload it) and they have accually lived up to thie 2 gig limit which is pretty cool, i have a file thats 700 megs uploaded on thier and i just uploaded some stuff i wanted to keep because i was formating my computer, which was almost 4 gigs but i split em up and used 1.9gigs and it uploaded within a day and i could download them perfectly

Why don't you just host files on your own webspace, rather than using these terrible file download/upload sites?I really don't like these sites, all the ones I've used have been reeaaallllyyy sslllooowwww... and there are so many ads, and things telling you to pay for thier service, etc
I think they're all a big con, seeeing as you cuold host them yourself in less time, with less hassle and a faster download speed, without having to look at a load of ads.

But, that's just my opinion, I'm sure you all think differently

people dont host files on thier server because people downloading them would eat up bandwidth and with webhosts (like my paid one) it takes up bandwidth just uploading and even though thier are alot of ads telling you how much better premium/platinum accounts are, you dont realize it till you accually pay and find out that they live up to what they say! its amazing....

I have to agree with gamalocka. These sites will urge you to go premium SO BAD. And yes... we're at a severe disadvantage when doing this. People are getting greedier and greedier. I wish people would just try to make the payments cover the server maintenance and a LITTLE bit to support themselves. At least be humble, guys ;)

1064327137[/snapback]

well nobody's forcing you to use their site. in my experience, unless you have an account with a good free host such as this one, or you're extremely lucky, it'll take you ages longer to find a good free site. If you have cash that's another story and a whole new ballgame. but i think this thread deals with the free side. rapidshare gives you no hassle when you want to download or upload. yeah they have adverts and keep telling you if u want the faster better service then pay, but it's a company, for crying out loud. Name one company that doesn't want you to pay money. at least they have a reasonable free alternative. megaupload is pretty good as well, or at least they used to. i haven't used them recently.

I don't know if you've heard, but there is a rather new website where people put rapidshare links. It is constantly updated, so you get i pretty big database! Check it out at /legacy

It still has only a part of what rapidshare is hosting, but some stuff can be found there.
Be aware that most of this is pirated stuff. If this is against the rules, moderators, please delete this post.

Well , rapidshare does not work in the United Arab Emirates, nomatter what you do. Its not that there is a proxy on it, its just some problem with the IP and proxy that says that yo have already downloaded ***** MB and you have to wait an hour to download more. So basically this site isnt useful for ppl living in the gulf.I would recomend Megaupload or uploadtemple or yousendit or sendthisfile :)RegardsDhanesh.