xisto Community
GameUltra

Wow, IPB 2.1 !

I just bought a licensed 2.1 board, and all I have to say is WOW! This release has SO much, Xisto should use it (if it won't take to much work to redo the credit system and any other MODs for the site)Here's what I've found in it that's cool:-WYSIWYG editor (what you see is what you get) it makes posts in RTF format so you don't ever need to hit preview.-Improved skin editor and skin engine all-together.-RSS (really simple syndication) easily accessed via ACP-Per admin section permissions (create Admins with limited power)-Multiple calendars-Display name along with Login Name (make login name and name displayed in posts different)-Topic rating-Various AJAX additions to make the forums easier to use, and more functional.

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

If Xisto would use this, it would again cost them money and i think it would take a very long time, to make all the mods compatible with the new board. And I think the admins are busy enough. It would be nice ofcourse, but this is good enough for me.

its not a monthly expence, i believe with IPB its a yearly expence, unlike vbulletin you have to take the board down once your least lisence expires, and Xisto host would take a very long time to upgrade to 2.1 mostly because the mods would be gone and it would be very difficult to install the credit system and make it compatible with 2.1 it may be better in every way but its just not worth the hard work..

If Xisto would use this, it would again cost them money and i think it would take a very long time, to make all the mods compatible with the new board. And I think the admins are busy enough. It would be nice ofcourse, but this is good enough for me.

1064326126[/snapback]

No, Xisto has a perpetual license (I think) meaning it is good forever

It would not cost them ANYTHING WHATSOEVER to upgrade, if you buy an IPB license you can upgrade to any of the newer versions without paying again...

I don't think IPB is the best but it's the most famous. I think that Vbulletin is better than IPB. Don't ask me why I just think so. LOL :)

1064331686[/snapback]

Maybe IPB won't get full score if judged by ease of use, but as far as the amount of features and stability goes - I don't think any other board software comes anywhere close to it - specially with the new release.

Maybe IPB won't get full score if judged by ease of use, but as far as the amount of features and stability goes - I don't think any other board software comes anywhere close to it - specially with the new release.

1064331712[/snapback]

You don't think IPB is easy to use? I do! lol, I love it, it's so simple and powerful, it did take me a long time to get use to it though but after a while it was like ridding a bike.

You don't think IPB is easy to use?  I do! lol, I love it, it's so simple and powerful, it did take me a long time to get use to it though but after a while it was like ridding a bike.

1064333087[/snapback]

I don't have any problems with operating IPB - I've been handling IPB based boards for so long that you could blindfold me and I'd use it with the same ease. But for newcomers, the Admin CP can present you with an overwhelming amount of features - and unless you're the bold experimenting kind, you might get scared and shy away.

@Moodyactually you don't need to worry about repurchasng updated software if you have the yearly liscense or you but the full software the updates are free. if that where th case not to many people would be purching the forums.but i have to say though when i saw the new layout for 2.1 i was oooh yeah it was more organized to me at least and with all the features it has i don't know how it would take to go through them all.But whats scary days after the 2.1 came out like 80+ mods were already out for it. i hope to see some of my favorite mods updated as well to go with the updated board.

Notice from twitch:
Saint, your posts are getting increasingly messy and you need to start taking time when replying.

In my opinion IPB is still the best boardsoftware and I don't even like the vBulletin...I found the IPB 2.1.x admin panel to be pretty easy, since the whole panel is divided into several parts, which makes searching faster!In comparison to that the vB was overwhelming... even after weeks of using, I was still searching for one and the same option... it was almost driving me mad :D

Power and feature-wise I don't think anything comes even close to IPB - and now with the newer versions, so is the ease of use. Also some drastic changes in the core of the board has resulted in operations WAYYYY faster and dramatically reduced the load time too. While I'm a die-hard supporter of OpenSource, I'm all-out for IPB.. It simply rockz :D

In my opinion IPB is still the best boardsoftware and I don't even like the vBulletin...

I found the IPB 2.1.x admin panel to be pretty easy, since the whole panel is divided into several parts, which makes searching faster!

In comparison to that the vB was overwhelming... even after weeks of using, I was still searching for one and the same option... it was almost driving me mad :D

1064334542[/snapback]

I've never seen VB's ACP, but I know I never really liked the user-side of it, one of my favorite things about IPB is just what to me is the simplistic look of the user-side that I love, and the way moderation and administration options casually blend in and are so easy to use, I don't really think VB has that, altough there still are alot of other forums it beats.

Power and feature-wise I don't think anything comes even close to IPB - and now with the newer versions, so is the ease of use. Also some drastic changes in the core of the board has resulted in operations WAYYYY faster and dramatically reduced the load time too. While I'm a die-hard supporter of OpenSource, I'm all-out for IPB.. It simply rockz :D

1064334569[/snapback]

Plus it has endless hoards of modifications that can pretty much provide any feature it doesn't have that you might want. But if you go Opensource PhpBB kicks ... there's been a good deal of bugs with it in the past, but lately it's been dramatically improving, when was the last exploit? Oh, December 30th, but it was minor, and only worked in IE. But anyways back to IPB.

I love IPB 2.1.0 lol

Just have to say IPB rules all boards, maybe not on themes i perfer VBulletin for themes.Yes the 2.1 was a very good release, its design / security was exciting.The admin panel kinda kicked but B)