xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
grumpygerbil

Database Program With GUI

I am looking for a program to create SQL databases through a GUI to simplify it, the only things i can seem to find are command prompt things and i can't work with them. I like MS access and would like something similar to that if possible. I am working with windows at the moment can anyone recommend a program i can use (preferably free)Many thanks

Well it worn't work with MS Access but phpMyAdmin works really well with MySQL which is a open source (free) program but you need to also have PHP (also free) as well installed on your webserver or local server and I just downloaded the new MySQL database tool but haven't used it yet. If you get an account with Xisto you will have all that and easily manipulate your databases.

Well if you're interested in using PhpMyAdmin on a Windows platform then you ought to get yourself "PHPTriad". PHPTriad has Apache webserver (which runs on Windows), MySQL and PhpMyAdmin all bundled into one single installation.

When I first started out with PHP and testing my very basic skills on it, PHP Triad proved to be of huge assistance. I still use it to test any PHP based program before uploading to a website.

For Windows though, I'm yet to come across a 'ready to go' GUI based DB manupulation software other than Access.

Should you want to download it PHPTriad is available here

I am looking for a program to create SQL databases through a GUI to simplify it, the only things i can seem to find are command prompt things and i can't work with them. I like MS access and would like something similar to that if possible. I am working with windows at the moment can anyone recommend a program i can use (preferably free)

Many thanks

1064325833[/snapback]

OpenOffice and StarOffice have a database component. I have not used the database component myself, mainly the word processor and spreadsheet, but it is there and other people have found it useful. It has its own built-in mini-database system and can also access other products via SQL.

PgAccess is a TCL/Tk based system for administering Postgress database systems. It has support for creating tables, making queries, and the other basic functions you will need. I remeber it being a little stark and a bit tough to set up when I last used it, but it was over two years ago and it did the job.

I have also used the database component of the Applix word processor suite but it does not look like it is sold anymore.

Hope this helps.

P.S.: As a free bit of advice (its worth what you pay for it), start getting your feet wet with the command-line tools a little at a time. In particular, use the GUI tools as learning aids. Look at the queries and commands they build and start figuring out how they work. The command-line tools are always the most flexible and reliable. When things go wrong, they are the most likely to continue working. They also let you automate tasks by executing saved scripts. GUI tools are great for visualizing your data and seeing the structure, but the command-line tools have their place as well.

I tried the Triad about two or three years ago and then found XAMPP which ifs far superior and easy to install locally if you haven't used it before you will get rid of anything else and use it only.

It comes with the latest version of Apache HTTPD, MySQL, PHP, Perl, FileZilla FTP Server, phpMyAdmin, OpenSSL, Freetype, Webalizer, mod_perl, Turck MMCache, mcrypt, SQLite, JpGraph, Mercury Mail Transport System, PHPBlender PHP Compiler.

It is a large program but very well worth the download.

See even if you don't use mysql and prefer to use ms-access, you can create a system DSN (Data Source Name) and link it to this access file. Next you can easily connect to this DSN using one of the standard SQL Manipulation packages - like SQLYog ( https://www.webyog.com/ ) and work on it as if you were working on a proper RDBMS Server..

On Windows XP you can easily create a DSN, by Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC). Next you click on ADD and select the proper database driver (mdb in case of access) - and specify a name for that DSN.. Just go through the help files in case you get stuck there.. or better yet, post back here.

Regards,
m^e

for phpMyAdmin you need php and apache setup ...if you dont need taht and just want a plain GUI based thing ...go for MySQLAdministrator. Its available for both linux and windows. I use it some times when my phpMyAdmin is not working ...ie i am updating apache or have to shut it down for other reasons...IMO it has more usability than phpMyAdmin and is targetterd for administrators.

I never liked phpMyAdmin in the first place - I found it quite slow and very limiting in many ways. For my regular work, I've to deal with databases which generate on an average of over 200,000 records a day.. phpMyAdmin is entirely unsuitable to handle such jobs..

As for desktop based GUI tools - I'd suggest you to try out SQLYog - it's a terrific product that beats MySQL Administrator hands down... You can grab a copy of their Lite and fully functional freeware at https://www.webyog.com/ .. Infact that's what I use to manipulate my databases on Xisto ... rather than log in to cPanel and use phpMyAdmin..

They're a MySQL AB Gold Certified Partner Company and I'd say hats off to their product.. Here's a short comparison and advantages of using this client, straight from their site:

Does the responsiveness of your web-based MySQL admin tool decrease your efficiency? Or does it make you sleep-deprived!? If yes, read on.

One of the major reasons for the pervasiveness of your web-based MySQL admin tool is that your ISP/Web Hosting Partner is paranoid about security! Most ISPs block the MySQL port or prevent remote connections to MySQL. The only option then left with you is to manage MySQL with a server based application. You are forced to live with the annoying page-refreshes because your ISP wants to play safe!

SQLyog changes the rules of the game. Just by uploading a single PHP page to your web server, you can use all the cool features of SQLyog. The PHP page exposes the MySQL API as a set of web-services that can be consumed by SQLyog. This is exactly the architecture that MS recommends for all new applications and calls them "smart clients".

SQLyog allows you do some of the cool things that your web-based admin app can never (ever!) provide. Some of these are:

* Ability to directly upload any ODBC DB ( Access, MS SQL, ORACLE ) directly to your MySQL without going through the cumbersome process of CSV/SQL export/import. An upload session can be saved as a job which can be scheduled.

* Provide context-sensitive menus.

* Prevents you from losing your work when you click on the close button of your browser!

* 100% keyboard friendly for turbo speed MySQL management.

* Synchronize the schema between your development server and the production server.

* Synchronize the data between your development server and the production server.

* Take scheduled backups with email alerts.

* and much more!

Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Forgot to add - this is what MySQL AB says about this product:

"Webyog delivers easy-to-use productivity tools that are accelerating the adoption of MySQL with a broad range of users,â

Bertrand Matthelié, director of Alliances at MySQL AB.

âWebyog's flagship product, SQLyog, offers powerful features like HTTP/SSH tunneling, Scheduled ODBC imports, Data Sync, high speed Scheduled Backups, Structure Sync and Notification Services, and it can be an valuable part of any MySQL userâs tool chest."

Give it a try guys ... I recommend this one STRONGLY :) Unless you give it a shot, you wouldn't know what you're MISSING out on ;)

I am looking for a program to create SQL databases through a GUI to simplify it, the only things i can seem to find are command prompt things and i can't work with them. I like MS access and would like something similar to that if possible. I am working with windows at the moment can anyone recommend a program i can use (preferably free)

Many thanks

1064325833[/snapback]

Well if you have any programming experience, you can create your own GUI with Java. In my own experiences Java is a great front-end to use with Database applications. It is highly portable as in it should work the same on Windows or Linux or Mac. Java has great support for JDBC/ODBC connections and works with MS Access, mySql, SQL server, and DB2.

If you are interested in going down this path, trying looking around for anything about Java Swing. That is the graphical interface library for Java. And of course the graphical end won't do squat if the SQL working behind it doesn't work.

if you are talking about localhost on your computer, you can use mysql administrator if working with mysql.

Yeah! First Install MySql and then start winmysqladmin from Strat Menu or go to c:\mysql\bin\winmysqladmin.exe. Its quite a good GUI for creating database and tables.

It'll save you the hassle of installing Apache with php enabled.

Consider the phptriad option and then get phpForm Generator. I've found that to be a quick easy way of creating a custom database with online forms without having to code everything yourself. I am developing a CRM system to track some of our customers from a specfic promotion, instead of using our existing system, and used PhpFormGenerator which is free and opensource. Closest you'll find in the opensource world to Access. Again this is for a quick and dirty project. (Speed and function needed as opposed to looks)

Just as an interesting footnote... the MySQL GUI program that I've been an avid fan of - the one which I've sung praises for, profoundly in my earlier posts in this thread has gone Open Source recently (Community Edition only).. :P

Get your hands on the all new SQLYog 5.2 Comunity Edition along with source-code ( https://www.webyog.com/ )

This one's a MUST TRY.