xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
evought

I Do Not Own This Folder, Please Delete Permissions/ownership error

I have a folder ~/public_html/templates/warmish_community.bak which I do not own and do not have permissions to delete. I have copied and renamed the folder contents so that I own and can manipulate the files but cannot delete the original.

Please delete this folder for me when you get a chance. This is not time critical.

The error was probably caused by a faulty mambo install script. You may want to look into this because it might represent a security hole.

This was a backup created by mambo. As a result, the folder is owned by the sysem and it is very difficult to get rid of.

You'll need a script to change the permissions of the file.

This cleanup program will do the trick.

Just upload the php file inside the compressed file and then access the script with your browser.

ie:

If you upload to /username/html_public/cleanup.php

Then in your web browser type http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It will prompt you for the path to the folder that you want access to.

The script then changes the the folder or files permissions to 777 (Read, Write, Exec ALL)

You can then delete the unwanted folder.

I highly recommend placing the script in its own directory and placing a password protection on that directory. Additionally, you could simply delete the script after you are finished with it. Leaving the script unprotected opens a very very big security hole.

A note about mambo.

When you upload and install ANY new mambo template, component, module, or mambot with the mambo installer; the file is actually handled by the system as commanded by the script that is in use. Since the system is doing all of the work in your file system, it holds the permissions of the files and/or folders that were created. Since it is the owner and you are not, you can't modify the files unless the system set the permissions to 777 for the file or folder. This is a common situation with most scripts that access your file system.

In the same manor, the system can not modify a file that you own unless you set the permissions to 777. Since mambo uses the file system instead of the ftp system to install addons, you will have difficulty removing files that mambo creates for you. The ftp system isn't used because it is either more work to install addons because you have to provide your ftp login information each time or it is a security risk because the the login information is stored for you.

Hope this helps. :mellow:

vujsa

I was never impressed with mambo. Php-Nuke always seemed to have more options available and easier to work on.Another option is if you're using ws_ftp pro chmod the file to 777 and the try to delete it via the ftp. It should work.

I was never impressed with mambo.  Php-Nuke always seemed to have more options available and easier to work on.

Another option is if you're using ws_ftp pro chmod the file to 777 and the try to delete it via the ftp.  It should work.

1064334622[/snapback]

Actually, He can not change the permissions to 777 because he doesn't own the directory. The system owns it. Please read the entire topic prior to replying.

vujsa

This was a backup created by mambo. As a result, the folder is owned by the sysem and it is very difficult to get rid of.

You'll need a script to change the permissions of the file.

This cleanup program will do the trick.

Just upload the php file inside the compressed file and then access the script with your browser.

ie:

If you upload to /username/html_public/cleanup.php

Then in your web browser type http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

RO: O alta varianta pentru a sterge directoarele cu alt "owner" decat "al tau", este sa le redenumiti si apoi se pot stege cu un client ftp. Succes! Mie mi-a luat cam 3 ore sa caut pe net diferite variante, dar pe asta am incercat-o intamplator. Si a mers! Cool!

EN: Another way for delete (erase) the directories which have other owner than "you", is to rename those directories, (... image become image01) and then, they can erase them with an ftp client (FileZilla). It was ... Worked! Success!

...sorry my english...

catalinvvvv

Edited by catalinvvvv (see edit history)