xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
evion

Guild Wars: An Insider's Experience Might have alot of these about already..

I started up Guild Wars, created an account, and created an ele/N1 character. Dumbfounded? Well that formula-like phrase "ele/N1" actually represents your character profession and level - ele:Elementalist(Primary Profession), N:Necromancer(Secondary Profession), 1: Level 1. This is exactly what the beginning of Guild Wars is about, dumping you in a newbie town and letting you roam free on your own with no idea what to do. You get these phrases mentioned above all the time when you click on people. Some hardcore gamers might have realized the meaning in a snap but for people like me? Took an hour or so for me to realize. So they dump you in the middle of nowhere for you to roam, with your first quest to accomplish where all you have to do is run to some guy and talk to him. Good, this gives you time to adjust to the interface and surrounding landscape. Bad, what the *)^$( am i supposed to do? Let's jump to a certain point of questing around blindly, you end at a person who tells you that you could join the army to defend against the Charr invasion. Isn't this what the whole game is about? DUH, so i happily clicked on the button and went in without any doubt that I'll return. But noo, there has to be a a different map when the searing (invasion) began and another map AFTER the searing. How was i supposed to know that? You get many skills while questing around the map before the searing that you have to pay for after the searing. This is outrageous.Of course one of the worst things that needs getting used to is the value of money. Should you sell this off to an npc or should you keep it to sell it to others later on for a higher value? It's all very confusing to me and to add to the dillemma, most of the newbie items you sell to the npc are probably less than or equal to 20 gold. This is one of the first games i've played that states 1k is alot of money. (Some rich Gw players might deny this though) It takes awhile of getting used to. Though now that i've come to think about it, Guild Wars might be designed to be like this for its players to be more interested in playing the game because of surprises you meet at every corner. As a newbie, you keep learning new things as you quest along and discover if a certain weapon or armor is good enough to keep or just plain junk. You'll also get to the point when you start thinking of upgrading your equipment. You ask questions and they're 90% of the time always answered. Great helpful people, isn't that what everyone needs in every game? It's been said that Guild Wars is very focused on its pvp side of the package. I don't see anything special about the pvp in this game at all. Of course there ARE the combinations you can pull with your different skills and believe it or not, there are no passive skills at all. Everything is activated when you touch one of the 8 skill buttons that you're allowed to use every mission which you choose when you're in a town/outpost. I love the idea of Henchmen though, it is very creative and I've never seen anything like it before in any other game. The henchmen are very responsive, especially the healer unlike most human players, but they lack human thought and strategy cannot be played with henchmen alone. The name itself, hinting strategy and skill is not very well played in this game at all by at least 40% of the players i believe. Only 2-3 times have i pvped and been submitted to a strategy move. Everyone is on his/her own in this game unless you've got a really good team that works together.

techocian,

I play Guild Wars as well, and I also had a bit of trouble getting oriented with the gameplay. However, now, I am very used to the game and undertand the "nooks and crannies". I myself have two accounts (currently): W/R11 and Me/Mo5. I don't play too often but I appreciate the game and I like the storyline. But, I have no trouble gathering a good team and I have no trouble traversing through the quests.

Actually, I posted a review about this game some time ago (it can be found in the Games forum), which I think sums the game up rather well.

In any case, I suggest anyone who likes MMORPG(s) tries this game, because it can be very addicting...

I play GuildWars also, with 4 characters: N/Me20 (finished game), E/Me20 (ascended), W/Mo20 (at ascension), and a Mo/W15 (I forget). I love the game. It is so different than most MMORPGs in a good way, from the lack of monthly fees to the economy (where good armor/weapons are relatively cheap and easy to get.) The combat begins to get very complicated when you have 40+ skills to choose from all interacting with each other and those of your 7 teammates. Overall, I think it is one of the best MMORPGs on the market today, but I understand why you don't like it.

Well it kinda depends on what you like. Game developers these days tend to find pvping the trend among younger generations. Blizzard is another case. They basically put together everything Runescape has to offer in superb graphics and storyline format. Guild Wars, i can't say because it really is different from any other MMORPG I've ever played. Crafting is way past easy, teaming up in parties is what the game is about, and everything and i mean EVERY SINGLE ACTIVITY in this game always has to do with fighting.

What i find really interesting though, is that while running through the map (not travelling) you don't find any others walking along the road or any other people fighting except yourself and party members. That kinda creeps me out because when you get to the areas with scorpions that rise from the ground and you're using a first-person viewing mode, it's shocking when you see its size compared to yours.

I hope you don't get me wrong, i love this game, but in a this-is-the-only-interesting-game-left-in-my-closet kinda of way. Of course the Guild Wars developers are really keeping up on their updates. When they get a new "episode" out on the market, it would really sky-rocket sales of Guild Wars then. Can't wait for more life-like MMORPG additions though, like weather (snow, rain, fog, maybe evne some natural disasters =)), or maybe they should try the idea of mounts. I always love it when they have mounts available in MMORPGs for you to ride on, whether to increase your speed or giving you boosts in skills, its fun!

i never played b4 =\....it is really cool? izzit like FF XI? o.o

1064326488[/snapback]

i never played FFXI but gw is really cool you should buy it and you don't have to pay a montly fee

yes i will i hope i will be stronger then

1064326493[/snapback]

No i will be stronger than u RAWR :) anyway i gtg go take shower now xD

I am selling a guild wars account that has 4 characters on it. im looking for above $20 for it. you can delete 1 character if you would like to make your own. i havent played it in 8 months but just got on 2 weeks ago to check the new updates. if you buy the account you can download the actual game at guildwars.com. email me for any questions, pictures, comments, or offers. serious offers only plz.

kyle mybike123@hotmail.com