xisto Community
hatim

Earth Quake In Pakistan My reflection on recent earth quake.

Sept 9th 2005, around 8:55 AM, This is one time i wont forget. I was listeing to music in my dorm room. I suddenly felt vibrations on the floor. I thought some how the BASS of my speakers got bit high. Surprised ..the vibrations got more and more as seconds grew. It was soon that I realized this was an earth quake. Now minor earth quakes I have seen ...but this much vibration..I have never seen in my life. I just put on a pair of slippers and started walking out of my room. Luckily i live on the ground floor. Almost ever one living in my dorm felt the quake..especially people on 2nd floor (top) as the building wobbled alot.After I came out i straight away called my mom and Dad. I thought they would have felt monir tremmors. To my surprise and horror ..they had similar scale of tremmors. I could only imagine at that time ..what would have happened to the epicneter of this quake..as it was felt equally in Islamabad Abboottabad and GIKI ..all 2 hours drive away from each other.I was sitting out side and feeling the earth moving and shaking for almsot 3 minutes. It started to subside.The entire saturday we felt after shoks. It was in the evening that it was decided to give all studnts off for two days so they could join in any relief efforts in Northern Pakistan ..or go to their homes.We were glued to TV all day and trying to figure out what had happened.It turned out that it was a 7.6 scale quake which originated almost 60 miles NNE of Islamabad. The area hit most was Pakistani-Administrated-Kashmir. It has been estimated that almost 18000 people have perished and 41000 are injured. More people have lost homes and business places.The image which most people would have seen was the collapsing of a luxury appartment building in Islamabad. Its sad that peple died there..but they were just a fraction of people who died in NWFP. Entire villages have been reported wiped out. Since it was Saturday and Ramzan , after sehri ,(early Breakfat ..around 4:00 am) people were mostly asleep..so alot of them couldnt get out in time.I have alot more stories from my own Campus. About Relief Efforts etc which I shall post later. For now I just want to ask Allah for his forgiveness.Its Holy Month of Ramzan in Pakistan and according to our relegion (and my understanding) if qukes hit in Ramazn its only meaning is wrath of Allah and that doomsday is near.All relegious beliefs aside..please pray for departed souls, and help if you can to the victims. and Lets hope this quake doesnt happen again...cause we are all on a 48 hour alert as minor tremmors are still being felt.

Well, if as you say, doomsday is near and Allah is pissed off, is there any point in trying to help? In theory, would not that be going against the wish of the one true God?

Well i said ..All relegious beliefs aside. This may be God's test..may be just a test ...or may be some blessing in disguise (20,000 people dying is not as bad as a million people dying..may be this some how brings India-Pak nuke rivals together..and focus on Kashmir ..which was the hardest hit by Quake)but one thing i know in my relegion...is the concept of Fate. Fate is NOT fixed and is determined by our actions.There are many people in Pakistan who believe that this is the consequcne of our actions..just like Americe being hit by Hurricanes etc.Well ...me and my twisted beliefs...:mellow:...all i know that Hurricaes , Earth Quakes , Fires , Mass Killings ..they are all sign of the end..it is still atleast few years away...cause even in Islam ..we believe Jesus(Isa) shall come (not as Prophet and ofcourse not as Son of God as God is 1 and never had any son or daughter) but as a human being and a follower of Islam...and there would be "Clash of Civilizations" over Jeruselem. (may be it has all begun...then whose the Jesus ) :blink:skeptics welcom.

Yeah I do have a question related to a side-thread of yours. You say God is one and never had any son or daughter. Catholics say that God is one, and three at the same time. I go along with that viewpoint because in Genesis it says God created them in His image, male and female. That points to at least two distinct personalites.

:mellow: I'm lucky I believe in my native harritage, because as long as I stay true to it, and don't commit any wrong-doings I will be safe from harm. (Which I kind of believe is a bunch of crap, but I shouldn't be saying that....)

Grafitti,It depends on which particular "god" you believe in. As there are so many gods, there will always be differences of thought and opinion amongst you believers.And, as not one of you can prove the existence of your god, or indeed the non-existence of the other, any arguement between two belivers in different faiths is doomed to failure.Personally, I'm more inclined to believe in Santa Claus than any god, at least I've seen him!!

Grafitti,

It depends on which particular "god" you believe in.  As there are so many gods, there will always be differences of thought and opinion amongst you believers.

And, as not one of you can prove the existence of your god, or indeed the non-existence of the other, any arguement between two belivers in different faiths is doomed to failure.

Personally, I'm more inclined to believe in Santa Claus than any god, at least I've seen him!!

1064325730[/snapback]

well I sort of aimed that question at Hatim, as he does believe in God, and i was trying to explore that thread. But as far as proving the existence of God, why is it called a "faith" in the first place? If it could be all spelled out plain and simple then it wouldn't be faith anymore. When all is said and done, Hatim and I both believe in the same God, so it isn't necessarily doomed to failure. But that doesn't mean that God doesn't leave signs for us. Have you read Michael Drosnin's "The Bible Code"? Explain to me how the bible code could have been encrypted without a God, or if you don't like that term, then some sort of much higher intelligence who has predicted the future.

I find it somewhat amusing that, as it becomes more and more obvious to anyone with more than a dozen brain cells, that "god", as the human race has called him/it for centuries, cannot exist, that now the believers are starting to alter the actual character of "god".Since forever, "god" has been taken one being, but now people are saying it is a race of beings, a different form of species, or whatever the newest fad is.If you can't even decide on who or what your "god" is, how can you possibly believe in it?Surely you are mature enough not to need a crutch?

I'm deeply apauled how much quicker the response from America to the Pakistan eathquake was in comparison to Hurricane Katrina, not that the victims of this quake don't need or deserve help, I just don't see why we can't help our own country as quick as we can help others... :mellow:And this is why I hate Bush.