xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jedipi

[help] Photoshop CS2 Memory Leak ?

I am using photoshop CS2.There is a problem of memory usage.When I run photoshop CS2 (just run the program, no image is loaded),it eats up all my physical memory, as well as page file.I try the fix the problem by seting the memory usage to 35% in preference.However, this does not work.reinstall does not work either.does anyone have experience like this?How can I fix it???Thank you.My system:Intel 2.4GB CUP1GB RAMGeForce 6600GT display card (AGP version)

Honestly, I run CS2 as well, I even let it sit in the background for entire days (even when I am not on the computer) and I have never encountered memory leakage from Photoshop. The only issue I did find was that at some point it seems to reset my keyboard shortcuts, but I solved it by using a different "lay-out" preference set :mellow: Personally I recommend running a virus scan etc. You could always contact their tech support and ask - that is if your version is legal (not insinuating something, but we all know it happens)

You can try uninstalling it, and then totally cleaning out the registry of anything related to it. That could mess up the computer though if you make one wrong move. Have you looked in the task manager if anything else starts up when you start photoshop? as it could be some virus that's attached to the photoshop executable file. Another thing that can really slow down the computer is if there are any documents waiting to be printed that you may have printed from Photoshop. Once the queue is deleted, it generally speeds up pretty quick.i have to say though that i never had memory problems with it either.

Have you check the Scratch Disk Usage ?? Photoshop use this stuff to create temporary files for edit (especially for undo), instead of using physical memory.If there's no scratch disk (or unconfigured yet), potoshop will use all physical mem, But if error still occurs, better you ask the Adobe for certain problems ..Hopefully helps..Good Luck,OSIRIS

We have original CS2 version at Office and had the same problem. The system had 1 GB RAM and it would eat up whole RAM and the system would run as a 486. We even contacted the helpdesk and all they could say was that please re-install it as some files might have gotten corrupted. On top of that, when we re-installed, the same problem re-surfaced.

Later, I cam to know from a friend that the uninstaller of Photoshop is not up to the mark and it leaves behind many files and entries in the registry. I scanned my registry with a registry cleaner and then manually scanned the registry for the keyword "adobe". I manually removed all the entries from the registry that related to the Photoshop install directory. After that, I scanned for the files with keyword ADOBE. I found files in the "Common Files" folder under the "Program Files". I removed the entire directory apart from some other files.

After all this ordeal, I re-installed the CS2 and it ran like a derby horse. The most probable problem that I could think of is that we had some problem with the UPS and the system had crashed during a power failure twice in a day. During both the times, CS2 was running. Maybe, some files might have gotten corrupted in that process.

:D

Do take backup of your registry before doing anything.

CS2 caused me problems, which until it's fixed, I have to disable either my mouse or my tablet to have it working (in which I use both when drawing). I don't think I recall any memory leak, but I never really ran it much due to the above problem.I don't bother with CS2 now, I think I've had enough of these little problems that it's not even worth it's monetary value. Nor do I feel anything major has changed from it.Cheers,MC

I run my CS2 on a 128mb system, win2k, :o ... And fortunately it still works fine. I agree with Developer.Col it's probably in the registries. So just do the same thing he did hopefully it'll be back in good shape.

I had the same problem also. I try to do what developer.cool said. unistall photoshop cs2 first,after that I open the registries, but I didnt search registry for the keyword "adobe". I searched for "adobe photoshop cs2" and I delete all of it. install back cs2, at the end , no problem anymore =D-Dias