xisto Community
sparx

Google Reader [beta] Online RSS Feed Reader

Google has debuted an online RSS feed Reader called appropriately enough Google Reader

It's interface is based on AJAX so it feels like GMail with sliding sections and improved speed. One is able to import and export their RSS feeds with ease through an OPML file.

What sets this apart from other services like Bloglines is its interface and the ability to edit feed URLs.

A built-in filter also makes seraching for a particular blog much easier. Also like GMail is the capability to STAR * an item ( what us older geeks think equal to flagging an item ).

Still needs work because IMHO, it isn't as fast as Bloglines and the scrolling interface although looks good doesn't peform as well as a tree structure. It's still early days though and I'll keep switching betwen the two to see how they shape up.

As of now, no AdSense adverts which is another thumbs-up in my opinion.

Now if only, there are Firefox extensions which will support GReader !

Yeah, I've just heard about it today. I tested it out, but, in my opinion, Google Reader isn't that great. It's layout either doesn't work in Firefox, or is just plainly bad looking. Most of Google's tools have the great simplistic and light look, but Google Reader looks like a webpage designed by a web "noob" who puts whatever he/she thinks is cool onto a page. Also, I don't like how it doesn't work together with other of Google's services, like Personalized Homepage or Gmail.Oh, and the "tour" that it provided. It was REEAALLY brief, and it didn't really help me understand how it works.I guess Google Reader may have came out too early... It should be improved more before it is released.

Actually I think Google was quite late in coming up with a web-based RSS reader. Other major conmpetitors like Bloglines are already established and their services are very welcome and well-received already by online blog readers. I myself use Bloglines and I don't think I will change to Google Reader anytime soon. But I must say it's a pretty good effort by Google in this aspect of a RSS and news reader.

Google has debuted an online RSS feed Reader called appropriately enough Google Reader

It's interface is based on AJAX so it feels like GMail with sliding sections and improved speed. One is able to import and export their RSS feeds with ease through an OPML file.

What sets this apart from other services like Bloglines is its interface and the ability to edit feed URLs.

A built-in filter also makes seraching for a particular blog much easier. Also like GMail is the capability to STAR * an item ( what us older geeks think equal to flagging an item ).

Still needs work because IMHO, it isn't as fast as Bloglines and the scrolling interface although looks good doesn't peform as well as a tree structure. It's still early days though and I'll keep switching betwen the two to see how they shape up.

As of now, no AdSense adverts which is another thumbs-up in my opinion.

Now if only, there are Firefox extensions which will support GReader !

1064325340[/snapback]

I've just checked it. It's really useful for me. But I'm used to use the Opera Browser to read RSS feeds.

Anyway, thanks for the information.