xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jguy101

Perception Of Free Software

Well, I was helping out at my neighbor's garage sale today, and we got into a conversation about Linux. Well, I explanined that there are paid distros like Red Hat and SuSE, and a bunch of free ones. Then, she said to watch out when ti comes to free software, because her computer took some major damage after she donwloaded some that was loaded with viruses and/or spyware.

Let's face it: in the opinions those who aren't really the most computer-savvy, free software is almost never free of bad stuff like spyware. Another time, when I was helping set up computers at a rummage sale, I mentioned that I was starting a shareware outfit, and a guy who was also helping out said that he hated free software because it's loaded with spyware. I doubt he or my neighbor have ever used Firefox, GIMP, AVG Free, or any free Linux distro....

So, I'm wondering: what can be done to change the public's perception of freeware?

Some freeware is awesome, often better than stuff you have to pay for. (I.E., Firefox, many antivirus and anti-spyware programs, etc.) Unfortunately, so many spyware programs are disguised as freeware that people are afraid to use it. I guess you could just show people some of the good free programs to prove that there is good, safe, free software available on the Net.

Maybe there should be some organization which gives away "approved spyware-free-Freeware"-stamps, so that users can be sure of a certain software quality if they see this stamp.Well, from another point of view, every worm and every virus is freeware too! It's just a matter of taste if you like the software you've got. No matter if useful program or spyware or virus, as long as a software is free, it's Freeware.

Thanks for the replies! :blink:

hazeshow, that idea for "approved freeware" stamps is great, like how you see the Better Business Bureau logo on sites...the GPL guys should really do that. :mellow:

Ugh, the belief that nothin is really free...can't people accept that there really is a free lunch?

for me, Opensource software is called freeware, but people have missed that term as having closed software for free. It's just like hacker = programmer and cracker = a person who infiltrates a machine to do illegal operations.xboxrulz

First things first, what is Freeware? The best definition I've found (IMNSHO) is this. "Simply put, freely available software that demands no fees, is not a trial, it also does not have all of it's functions 'crippled', is not a demo, nor does it contain any adware, spyware or any intrusive malware of any type." Yes it is a quote from a freeware site ( http://www.freewareasylum.com/home ) one of three that I recommend to anyone looking for free software. ( http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ and http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ being the other two.)
Hazeshow's suggestion is pretty close to what is already happening in the freeware community, if you check out the links above you'll see what I mean.

The answer to the question is quite simple really, education. How to teach them is another question, one that I don't have an answer for yet.....

TPW

Well, most good freeware sites will only include software that is adfree etc, so if you use a site to look for freeware you should be ok.

1064325473[/snapback]

Well, my guess is that some of the stuff on freebie sites is infested.... :mellow:

well... i personally find freeware programs very good for people that do not have the money to buy all the best comercial aplications, but still want a good aplication ! there are a lot of very very good and usefull freeware softwares on the net, including here Opera, Firefox, the Instant Messaging applications... ! And it's a matter of mentality weather or not you think that what's free it represents the reincarnacion of the Devil ! There are lots of people that think that there is no such thing as an 100% FREE thing ! but... it this domain they're wrong because a lot of programmers make things for free ! Indeed, there are some freewares out there that are spyware and such.. but if you look carefully you will find the ones that will pose no security problems for your computer !