xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darkranger

Mit's $100 Laptop! Cheap.

Hey guys, MIT is constructing this babies, they are intended for 3rd world countries where a laptop or a desktop computer are not accessible. Basically these $100 machines will be a Linux-based, full-color, full-screen and they will use innovative power (including wind-up) and will be able to do most everything except store huge amounts of data. These rugged laptops will be WiFi- and cell phone-enabled, and have USB ports galore. Its current specifications are: 500MHz, 1GB, 1 Megapixel.(The hard drive will prolly be 1 GB probably are what people are expecting.)
Check it out, I think its a nice approach for people and children especially who aren't related to technology and want to learn more, also you have to consider that laptops can be used as notebooks and calculators, so I think these will help a lot.
Link:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hey guys, MIT is constructing this babies, they are intended for 3rd world countries where a laptop or a desktop computer are not accessible. Basically these $100 machines will be a Linux-based, full-color, full-screen and they will use innovative power (including wind-up) and will be able to do most everything except store huge amounts of data. These rugged laptops will be WiFi- and cell phone-enabled, and have USB ports galore. Its current specifications are: 500MHz, 1GB, 1 Megapixel.(The hard drive will prolly be 1 GB probably are what people are expecting.)

Check it out, I think its a nice approach for people and children especially who aren't related to technology and want to learn more, also you have to consider that laptops can be used as notebooks and calculators, so I think these will help a lot.

Link:

1064325278[/snapback]

From what I could tell when I heard this story, it is also supposed to be ultra-durable and take abuse like no other.

Very interesting! It looks like a great program, something good and helpful. One of those warm and fuzzy stories. :mellow: I wouldn't mind having one of them myself, probably better than my chunky ole laptop. Anyways, great initiative for MIT to take up .. great school doing great things.

Link:

1064325278[/snapback]

Yeah, but this kind of computer is not for me. I've read about it on the newspaper. It's mainly for kids. If don't have CD-ROM. 100$ ! Is it too much for such a useless machine? Why don't we buy an PDA instead, it's better.

Anyway, it can be a gift for my younger brother's next birthday.

Heard about this a while back in Popular Mechanics. :mellow:

Well, I would only get one if it was the only option...right now, I'm setting my sights on a used IBM ThinkPad, which I could get for $350 to $400, with MEPIS installed. :blink:

I intend to get a Laptop like this for research purposes. We have a group at our university which will be interested in making Softwares for Local Languges. Local Language software (ie Urdu) are available ..but are resource higs and are not easy to use. I wonder if MIT sells these laptops to researchers and possible collaborators.