xisto Community
david_ytk

Window XP User Interface

Yes that's right, but fortunately you can turn the Xp layout off and switch back to the 'classic' 98/2000 interface. Well wasted RAM and CPU is one thing, that kind of BLUE is another! I can't stand it, it really hurts my eyes. :mellow:

I just share my point of view...

I think the XP interface waste the Ram memory a lot...

And the interface developed in the direction of good look...instead of efficiency...

1064325133[/snapback]

Yes, I think so. XP really slow down my PC. Switching the desktop to classic style make it faster a litte. I think the developers of MS are making Wins bigger and slower instead of faster and reliable.

In other words: Microsoft clears up our minds and enlightens us. They are the ones who finally make us understand that our PC's are much too old and that we need new ones! :mellow:

lol, Windows is bloated in coding in itself, they add more code than they need to. Notice that no matter if u switch it to classic mode, it's still pretty slow, but if you run Windows 2000 it's much faster. Other operating systems like Mac OS X and anyother *NIX systems (like Linux) will perform better because there's less clot, Having their base opensource, anyone can clear out the clot and make the operating system more liteweighted and could still have a great desktop environment like Aqua, KDE, GNOME, XFCE and etc.Windows Vista and it's desktop environment, Aero will take even more memory than Windows XP.xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

If you hate the default blue on Windows 'classic' desktop (2k) on XP, like I do, then just right click on the desktop (or go to control panel & click the Display applet), go to the desktop tab, select the 'color' drop down menu ... I select black ... much much better :-).I agree, Gnome/KDE are very nice & will soon have most of the Aqua hardware accelerated features most likely within X. I really love Aqua .. it looks great AND isn't slow or a memory hog, thanks to wisely using the GPU. And their PDF viewer just flies, thanks to their thinner coding (cf Adobe's) and their use of Display Postscript etc ... it's still not perfect, but is by far the closest yet!There are some add-ons to Windows desktops, like Window Blinds, but I found they made things even more bloated, so you just end up turning everything off .. in Windows!!

Well, that's a fact... I'm using the Media center Royale interface, and I like it a lot, though it really uses RAM especially when I turn on my pc. Anyway, I think it worths it, because I use most of RAM when playing games, but then windows xp doesn't uses the interface... or does it?

Can Gnome or KDE be run on the Windows platform?

I know there are other shells ( I did use LiteStep previously ) available for Windows. But on a shared family machine, one must stick to the known interface. When I get me a laptop, I'm gonna install Linux, discard Windows and ask for a refund ! It's been done before - as early as 1998.

This is in case the new notebook is pre-loaded with Windows. I'd rather have a blank notebook without any special utils pre-loaded from the manufacturer with a reduction in price.

Personally this is my main "hate" for notebooks, ya can't get the darn things without Windows on them. While I can understand that most people would want win to be installed, I prefer to choose my OS, choose how my partitions are made up, choose which apps to be pre-loaded etc. But no, that seems impossible with Billybob gates.....

*makes obscene gestures to Bill Gates in her mind, feeling very proud she lives in the country where Bill Gates got a pie thrown in his face in public.*

For those of you who missed the happy events.. https://bitstorm.org/gates/

I have to play devil’s advocate here for a moment. I agree that the XP interface can bog down slower machines but I still prefer it to the 2k style. I am running an older 1.1 GHz Athlon and I do everything I can to squeeze out every last bit of performance. I shutdown services, remove programs from startup, and various other speed inducing activities but I will not touch the UI. I guess it’s the fact that I just like it and it is much more pleasant for me to look at than the 2k version. I suspect this is due to that fact that I do spend the majority of my day sitting in front of my monitor. It is sort of a psychological trick on the mind. You feel more at ease being chained down to your chair when you are looking a smooth edges and a picture of rolling hills and flowers. I am sure this is not at all by accident. Since the majority of user hours working with Windows is in the corporate world, Microsoft surely has put a lot of time and energy into making their UI more pleasant to look at. Here is a good question that you should research and get back to me with. How many psychologists are on the Microsoft payroll? How many psychologists do you think are working with Microsoft right now on Vista? It would be only natural for Microsoft to think this way for their flagship product. Interacting with an inanimate object and not being completely repulsed by the entire experience is quite the undertaking.Well time to daydream a little more. I think I am going to minimize all my windows and stare at the rolling green hills and brilliant blue sky and pretend that I was out running on them and frolicking in the flowers.

I have seen notebooks without pre-installed Windows. It is offered by BenQ, a Taiwanese company. If i remember correctly, it is a spin off from Acer.