xisto Community
david_ytk

Which Language Is Most Common Now?

I am a student ...I need to do a final year project....But i don't know which type of language i can use...Can someone help?

Notice from SpaceWaste:
I edited your punctation a little, and I'm going to make what you're saying clear (from my point of view...Hope I'm right? :mellow:.
By the type of language, I of course meant computer language.Example: Php or java :blink:.Please gives reasons why to why you think this language would be best for me.Strong points I'm looking for:*Flexibility*Wide spread usage*Management*Tutorials :huh:.

What do you mean with "most comman"? The most spread programming language? Like english and spanish are widely-spread languages among the spoken languages in the world?If any programmer here should help you, it might be useful to give a little hint which languages are the options and what kind of project you have to do.GreetingZ

i am a student ...

i need to do a final year project....

but i don't know which type of language i can use...

someone help...

1064325123[/snapback]

I don't understand. Why do you ask this question ?

Anyway, I think you should use your native language.

i am a student ...

i need to do a final year project....

but i don't know which type of language i can use...

someone help...

1064325123[/snapback]

If you're looking for a flexible and powerful programming language. I recommend Java. Its cost is pretty low. You can use the NetBeans IDE which can be downloaded from netbeans.org as the development platform. It's a free tool, by the way.

Now, I want to ask you a question. What kind is your project ? (Web-App, Desktop, Commercial/Education....)

I recommend using php/mysql for a web app. I guess java would be nice. I hear it's a lot like c++, but a little less confusing. I'm not very advanced in c++, but I understand the basics. It wouldn't take too long to get the "basics" of either language, but Java may be a little easier to get more out of it sooner. One of my professors also said something about regular expressions being pretty good in java. That's always a plus.

First of all, this should not be a question for student who is doing his final year project. The reason is he should know the answer before then.

It's not about a language you use, it's about which one you have the most familiarity with. You have to stick with the one you know the most. And more than that, language is a tool, just a tool, how you use that tool is what important.

In term of language, there are thousands of them out there. Using google and find the most popular programming language, I got this http://www.developer.com/net/csharp/article.php/3390001/Programming-Language-Popularity-The-TCP-Index-for-August-2004.htm , which is very interesting. I suggest using C/C++, Java or Python in general. For web project, PHP would be a plausible choice. You should probably want to stay away from any .NET, Microsoftish language since they can be *obsolete* eventually.

As othere members have posted it depends upon you only which language you use. At enterprise level J2EE and .Net are the most common things. In small companies php is also very famous. Java is a good language to use but now a days I will prefer to go with C# ( C-Sharp) over java.And I am not satisfied with vdhieu84 - as he has said that Microsoft Languages can be obsolete. Visual Basic is the good example for it. It is Microsoft Product and most famous for devleoping Desktop application. Java is popular in web applications but when you talk about desktop application visual basic is winner. And visual basic is here from years. So please don't evaluate the things on the basis of owner of the product/language. .NET is a wonderful platform given by Microsoft, I can't compare anything so good till date.

In small companies php is also very famous.

Famous in what area? Do you mean a *web development* company? If that, I might agree

Java is a good language to use but now a days I will prefer to go with C# ( C-Sharp) over java.

Wrong, do yourself a favour by searching jobs over the internet and you will see Java is a must have. Why? Because its software can be used in ANY environment (given that the virtual machine available).

And I am not satisfied with vdhieu84 - as he has said that Microsoft Languages can be obsolete. Visual Basic is the good example for it. It is Microsoft Product and most famous for devleoping Desktop application. Java is popular in web applications but when you talk about desktop application visual basic is winner.

Can you use the visual basic program you wrote 7 years ago in Windows 98 environment in today Windows XP flatform? I doubt that unless your program is so simple (i.e. require less library). Can you use a Java 1.2 program on today 1.5? yes. Can you use Visual Basic to write program for other platform other than Windows? NO. Can you do that with Java? Ans: that's why Java is here. Bottom line, if you are Windows fan and Windows only, Microsoft products are for you, but if you like to have some freedom, take my advice seriously.

And visual basic is here from years. So please don't evaluate the things on the basis of owner of the product/language.  .NET is a wonderful platform given by Microsoft, I can't compare anything so good till date.

1064327531[/snapback]

I think you are either Windows developers or a highschool kid who's learning how to program. If that's true, nothing more I can say.

Well, I would advice you to learn Java at first. Its a complete OOP language and you'll be able to do a lot with just a few lines of code, what will give you extra confidence and joy, what's especially important in the beginning. Plus all the tools are free. Then, you will decide what language you need, and will quickly migrate to it. Like, last week I needed to do a simple program in C. I just got a book C for Java programmers -and  it was easy. Once you learn one language, its really easy to learn the others. Its important you understand the OOP principles, get used to problem solving, just get more computer science minded...

Which Language Is Most Common Now?Which Language Is Most Common Now?

you can use dotnet framework for your final year project suppose u want to bulid web appn then u might be select asp.Net,for desktop appn  u can use vb.Net 

-reply by Pratik

Forget about learning a language, that is the wrong way to go about learning to program. Learn the fundamentals of programing, algorithm design and pure maths, then design a program and then choose the best language for the job. If you understand the fundamentals of programming, you can then pick up any language you like and learn it in no time at all. Ultimately pick the highest order language that will fulfill the requirements of your design, why use C/C++ and assembler if Ruby or Lua will achieve your design goals, its all about writing the least amount of code. After all, this is a school project, and you should be trying to MIN/MAX, Minimum effort for Maximum results.

So, which language is the best and effective. I know its tough to say that this language is best or worst? Every language has its own advantages and disadvantages. But, I am curious to know which language achieves that MAX/MIN principle stated in above comment. Is there any language that can be effectively used for almost any project? By the way, how many days/months it takes to learn a language (to achieve intermediate stage) personally?