xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
akijikan

Ncaa Football Bcs System Not Broken! Human polls a scourge

After a couple of season of "split championships" (different No. 1 ranked teams in the AP poll and USA Today Coaches' poll) people have been complaining that the Bowl Championship Series doesn't work and this led to the AP poll pulling out of it.These people are plain wrong. There are some problems with the BCS but its not broken. The reason that many people say this is because there are more than three undefeated teams and one gets left out of the championship. Unfortunately the goal of BCS was never to make sure all undefeated teams have a chance to play for te championship.First let's review what the BCS is supposed to accomplish.The BCS is supposed to determine the best two teams in the country and pit those two teams against each other in the Championship.The BCS, ever since its inception, has tried to tweak the way it determines the top two teams because people had misconceptions about the purpose of the poll. This has led to inclusion and elimination of various factors including "margin of victory" (by how many points you win) "strengthing of schedule" (how tough your schedule is based on your opponents' win-loss record and your opponents' opponents' win-loss record), and "quality wins" (up to -.25 for defeating teams ranked in the top 10 of the BCS). Last year the move was to eliminate all of that and take the average of the AP poll, Coaches' Poll, and Computer Poll Average (of six computer polls). It is the same this year, except that the AP Poll dropped out and the new Harris Poll replaced it.At the end of the year the top two teams in the BCS play each other in the championship. The top two teams are based purely on who is ranked in the top two. The BCS determines the top two teams regardless of whether or not any teams are undefeated or what their records are.That's all fine and dandy, but I think it could be a little better, but not in a way anyone else would expect. Right now, as I said, it determines the top two teams based on the average of three things: 2 human polls and an average of 6 computer polls. The problem I have with this is that it is 66.6% human polls. This makes no sense, because what are AP sports writer and coaches? Human, and humans are biased! I think that computer polls should be the only polls used because only a computer is unbiased. Now I know you'll tell me, but those computer polls are compiled with Human imput and coding. Well it doesn't matter because as long as the same algorithm is applied to every team, then it is fair.In fact, to make the BCS even more apt at selecting the two best teams, Margin of Victory, Strength of Schedule, and Quality Wins should be re-introduced. These are all valid factors in determining which two teams are the best. Because, who cares if the top rated team wins, if it's only by a point against [random-direction] state? Or who cares if a team's win-loss record is 11-0 or 10-1 if they never played a ranked team? And we all know that when you beat a team that is ranked in the top ten, you deserve some credit.(Note about quality wins: if you beat a team that is ranked in the top 10 one week, you recieve your credit the next week, but if by the end of the season that team is out of the top 10, you no longer recieve the -.25)We don't need a playoff, we just need to adjust the BCS and remove the human polls.

I don't agree with everything that you have said, but I do belive that the BCS system is not broken. I like it despite the problems that it has had with split Championships. I still think that it is good the way that it is and it is sad that AP decided to pull out of it.

[The BCS isn't broken IF they would consider strength of schedule the way they're supposed to. Ohio State is on their way to another National Championship game because of their creampuff schedule even if they loose [and they will] to Southern Cal.Replying to jharn,8430,66347]-reply by Jeff