xisto Community
jedipi

New Biological Robots Build Themselves

Inspired by biological systems, scientists have developed miniature robots that can self-assemble using parts that float randomly in their environments.
The robots can correct their own mistakes. :mellow:

AI, robots that build themselves, one rogue robot that watches "Terminator" or "AI" and gets some ideads in it AI....

MSNBC

First of all may I point out that AI robots will never conquer us as films like I:Robot suggest. Robots lack something that humans have, a conciousness. This is what governs us as life forms to do certain things that appear unpredictable or things that make us individuals. A robot can never have a natural conciousness and therefore can't see humans as needing to be destroyed.As for the mistake correcting process, it is something that many scientists and us web developers have been working on since the thought sprung from the fountain of ideas. To make a system that self operates and learns is the ultimate. Systems like these have been made numerous times in various scripting languages and many games hold on the idea of adaptation. For example, if you play the same move over and over on a game like Tekken 3, the computer will eventually start to learn its mistakes and works out a logical path and beats you. It is the same with any problem.It is only a matter of time until the AI world evolves into something that co-exists with us as humans. But with so many narrow minds inhabiting this planet, I doubt it will be in the near future.

Interesting theory, let me say you something. Until scientist don't think up some robot that is able to learn by every step it takes, AI will not evolve. When this important step occurs, there will be a great revolution of robots. AI is important part of every robot, but it's programmed, and it's hard to simulate life with program software. When scientists could program only minimal input of AI to a robot, and robot can then start self-learning process - that will be a real AI-robot.

Well the progress of AI is getting more advanced with time, but that a program which would think as a human, for now days is impossible, maybe/really in the future it will be available, besides robots can't have emotions, they can copy them or someone can write a program, but that would be artificial. Well, if the program will understand/make a conclusion by self learning something bad, you can't know how it might act.

First of all may I point out that AI robots will never conquer us as films like I:Robot suggest. Robots lack something that humans have, a conciousness.

Sorry to upset you... But if current trnds continue, we will have computers powerfull enough to simulate the electrical activity of a human brain by 2025.

by 2030, computer will be powerfull enough to also emulate the chemical influences in out brain.

so in 25 years, we will have neural network computers, capable of doing anything a human brain can, if properly taught.

If computers ever turn againsed us, it will be the NEURAL NET which allows them to do so.

Its completely possable...

In conventional computers, like the one you are sat infront of, humand program them,..
so the computer does exactly what the humans programmed it to do.

With Neural networks, NOBODY programs them... They Learn, mimicing the way human brains work.

there is no reason that a neural network could not be everything humand are, just made of different materials...

Read up on Neural networks that can drive pretend cars in computer games...

You dont program them to drive... you just teach them that they can avoid objects by turning, and/or slowing down...

they learn, they program themselves... and then they drive around a mase, completely un-predictable..

they *CHOOSE* which way to drive.

Neural Networks are Fascinating things.

Very interesting stuff here. I was amazed to see the robots dancing in synch. It's just amazing at how much a robot can accomplish, and what they can actually do. I kinda agree however, that robots lacking a consciousness will prove that we humans are far superior :mellow: Or at least I hope so. No telling what the future holds.

Sorry to upset you... But if current trnds continue, we will have computers powerfull enough to simulate the electrical activity of a human brain by 2025.

by 2030, computer will be powerfull enough to also emulate the chemical influences in out brain.

so in 25 years, we will have neural network computers, capable of doing anything a human brain can, if properly taught.

1064324999[/snapback]

Computers will never be powerfull enough to simulate the human brain. Even if they do have all the mechanics of the brain. Why? Because we haven't even scratched the surface of what our brain is and how it works. And I don't know where you got your imformation from, but I would like a link to see it.

As most of us know, we use a small percent of our brain, but robot brain can make very fast decisions calculating all of the abilities and making the best conclusion, which you would be thinking for days and etc. This is something superior, or a better feature in my opinion.

Scientists have often said that we only use 20% or so of our total brain power. If we were to use all of it, we would advance quicker. But I believe that we don't use all of it as we are using too much thought power for problem solving. My proof, we are constantly problem solving. From every step to decisions on whether to eat or not.Anyway, the human brain also brings up numerous of other results, as well as the one that the robot brings up. I am love technology, but something that I can't see happening is robots developing a sense that we as humans have. They may be programmed to learn and adapt, but they will never have a natural conscience.

well, now it looks imposible, but actually self learning robot designs already exist, of coruse they are very primitive, but it is the start.

Actually computers that learn by their own mistakes have worked for some years now. Especially I remember a computer, which was running a “baby program”. The computer could form its own messages and communicate with the scientists, who built it. The program was designed so that it would evolve slowly, pretty much like a human baby. It started out by putting words together randomly, but slowly it learned how to make childish sentences. I psychologist with speciality in children were given a print of the computer’s conversation with one of the scientists. The psychologist said that it looked like a perfectly normal child at about five years old. :mellow: But it is quite new to me that robots can build themselves and learn from their mistakes. This is actually quite cool! :blink: And no, I don’t believe the robots ever will be able to take the power from us humans. I’m sure they could do it if they were allowed to, but scientists will always make it possible to turn them off if something should happen.

guy, you don't seem to be able to wrap your head around what's happening in the field of AI, or biology, for that matter.

First of all, humans use every part of their brains. Not at the same time, however. This is the part that confuses people. At any given time, you are only using a small percentage of your brain. This makes intuitive sense to me. We probably understand more about the brain than you think. It is only a matter of time before we learn the last of the brain's secrets.

As for AI, there's no reason we can't recreate the human brain in the form of a machine. I don't think we'd have to do that, personally, to create subversive artificial intelligence, but I'm certain it could be done.

Thank you clagnol for making clear that we do use all of our brains, just not at the same time. That is the part that did sort of get me (I thought we might use it all at different times, but to use it all at once has not yet been achieved).I do understand the world of the AI and biological, and I tend to try and keep up-to-date with such things.Secondly, several reports I have read, been told and seen on the television say that we have only unlocked a small percentage of our brain. I may not have made my point clearly though, this is what I meant: We may know what drives our brains and how they work (as in the sense of electro-chemical pulses) however, we do not know how powerful our brain can be. Many scientists argue that the human brain never stops increasing in 'power'. Unlike computers, it has no clocked speed. And every brain is different. And as for the 'never' being able to, let me rephrase: Not in the near future. And following on from clagnol's last point, why would we? If the scare is that high about robots conquering humans, then they will never be designed to carry out such actions.

Scientists have often said that we only use 20% or so of our total brain power. If we were to use all of it, we would advance quicker. But I believe that we don't use all of it as we are using too much thought power for problem solving. My proof, we are constantly problem solving. From every step to decisions on whether to eat or not.

1064325052[/snapback]

Like clagnol said, it's 20% of our brain at any given moment in time.

It'd be like an appendix. If we don't use it, why not just cut it out? :mellow: No, we don't do that because every part is useful!

Just taking a intro course to Psychology, you'll see that there are many different parts in charge of different things. They don't say "Well, this is the 10-20% we use, and the rest is grey matter that just sits there."

This is an amazing breakthrough for science! I never thought I'd see the day that we built a robot capable of learning and correcting its mistakes. I'm sure that eventually we will build more robots, like in the movie "I-Robot" (except hopefully not the part where thy go evil and try to destroy the human race as we know it :mellow:)

.Solitude