xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
IWroteCode

Notebook Cooling USB powered solutions

I have seen all over the place (even in BJs) USB powered cooling pads for notebooks. I was just wondering if anyone had any incite on the topic. Are they worth it? Does anyone use them? Also, what would be a good price or brand to look for if they are indeed worth it?Thanks a bunch ahead of time.

Thanks for bringing up the question, IWroteCode - I have the same sort of problem! I have an AMD laptop, and often, I notice the machine heats up somethin' terrible.Hopefully there is such a device, that would certainly be nice; I don't like burning my pants - :mellow: !

Thanks for bringing up the question, IWroteCode - I have the same sort of problem!  I have an AMD laptop, and often, I notice the machine heats up somethin' terrible.

Hopefully there is such a device, that would certainly be nice; I don't like burning my pants -  :mellow: !

1064324849[/snapback]

Allow me to third it! I'm using an AMD laptop as well (Athlon 64 3400+) and it gets so warm! I've only heard of cooling pads? Who has experience with them?

HTML_Guru, you wouldn't be using something from eMachines m68xx? would you?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a cooling pad for my Compaq. It doesn't get *too* terribly hot, but after about thirty minutes of working with it on my lap I get the feeling that I'm ironing the upper legs of my jeans. Which of course would be okay if I could balance the laptop on other parts of said jeans periodically so that the whole pair actually gets the same press job.Or maybe not.Unfortunately I haven't heard too much about any particular brand. If anybody actually uses one, I'd love to hear more about it. Just might get one next time I have a little cash (and maybe even order it with my upgraded, better laptop battery).

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a cooling pad for my Compaq. It doesn't get *too* terribly hot, but after about thirty minutes of working with it on my lap I get the feeling that I'm ironing the upper legs of my jeans. Which of course would be okay if I could balance the laptop on other parts of said jeans periodically so that the whole pair actually gets the same press job.

Or maybe not.

Unfortunately I haven't heard too much about any particular brand. If anybody actually uses one, I'd love to hear more about it. Just might get one next time I have a little cash (and maybe even order it with my upgraded, better laptop battery).

1064324910[/snapback]

With a quick google search, I found some options.

First thing I noticed was the CoolPad. It's not a powered cooling pad, but just something props up the bottom to about a 20 degree angle (which I prefer when working on my laptop anyway!) and that increases the airflow, which is severly hampered when actually your laptop is used in your lap.

Next thing I found was the Evercool Notebook Cooling Pad. It is a USB powered unit with four fans and a custom speed control for 19 dollars.

After that I ran across a four page review of the Serina Cooling Pad. The cool thing about one (no pun intended) is that it is also a card writer and a USB hub with 3 (only 3?) extra USB 2.0 ports. This one has only 3 fans though, with a speed control wheel. It connects to the USB port on your laptop, but only for HUB purposes. The power is provided by the AC adapter. The review site has a lot of good photos.

One more that I found was pretty much the same as above except no card reader, 4 USB ports, only 2 fans, and is USB powered, but can also be AC powered (and the AC will power the Hub ports). That link is also a review and the reviewer notes that it is near silent and no discernable vibration.

This website has a lot of cooling pads, stands, and lapdesks to choose from with many designs. This offering is something different without fans, employing a "heat-pipe" design with unique pipe-style heatsinks. It uses no power.

I hope this has been helpful, I'm going to consider one myself.

HTML_Guru, you wouldn't be using something from eMachines m68xx? would you?

Nope - I'm "laptopin'" it with an hp pavilion ze4300 powered by an AMD Athlon processor.

Yeah, I end up giving my pants a good steam press daily - keeps the wrinkles out... win-win, I suppose.