xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dodger

Satellite Internet Connections

Hi, I was wondering about having an internet service based from a satellite connection. This mostly comes from this article:

http://www.informationweek.com/default.asp

The service promises 432 KB per sec but I am wondering how might work as I've heard the connection speed for satellites connections (phones) had a large delay due to the range of transmission.

Would anyone recommend this?

looks interesting, But is it because you need it for travel. Because if not, cable works.

Yeah I travel a lot and from what i heard it gives you the same speed as cable when the reception signal is good. still though i suspect the cable is faster and cheaper at the moment but it lacks mobility.

several considerations on satellite connections: environment, weather, cost. if you are to use satellite connection within the bounds of a city with large buildings which can obstruct transmission and/or ricochet signals, better stick with dsl/cable/dial-up. likewise if you use it on cloudy/overcast weather. the most you need to consider is the cost. it can be quite prohibitive (read: too expensive), and it would just be a waste of money especially if you can not fully maximize it. but then again, of course, if you *really* require it and have the dough to get it, it is at least worth a try. :)

Nah... I dont think that the delayed signals is a problem. I mean, c'mon, Your satillite television doesnt have any problems or delays. I have DirectTV and there are no delays or anything. The picutre comes right up and thats transerfer like twice the amount of data per second because its video. See what I mean. :)

Nah... I dont think that the delayed signals is a problem. I mean, c'mon, Your satillite television doesnt have any problems or delays. I have DirectTV and there are no delays or anything. The picutre comes right up and thats transerfer like twice the amount of data per second because its video. See what I mean. :)

61457[/snapback]

What you are talking about is not what he is talking about. You are taligbout a stationary dish that gets a constant signal. He is talking about internet service rather than tv.

I am under the impression that satallite internet most of the time is okay but there are the weater and other factors to worry about.

I am guessing you have a laptop. Does your laptop have wired network capabilities and wireless networking capablities? I thinkits a good idea to have those handy in your computer for areas that just don't have a signal. I think that is the case sometimes. I know that when I am near a hospital and some malls I don't get very good radio reception.

I realize the waves used for radio and the waves used for satallites are differant but Just like radio some things will jam or bounce the waves funny in certain areas. Having alternate ways of connecting for such times will be your best bet. I hope that helps.

Beth

I am sorry about my bad spelling errors. I should have previewed before sending. I just woke up a little bit a go. Sigh. I hope you can read it okay.

some pros and cons of different types of internet connections:
- Internet connection options: Satellites
- read this too

I?ve heard that satellite connection is very good at download speed, but to connect to other servers, it uses a Dial-On connection at 56,2 Kbps? To play online is not very good but to make downloads is perfect!

I've already heard about it too... but it was very expensive and it had the same speed that cable had... so why would I pay more for the same? Only because it's satellite?... hehehehe... I prefer keep using my cable and spend less... If I had a lot of money... I would certainly have a satellite but as I don't have I keep with cable :)

Hi, I was wondering about having an internet service based from a satellite connection. This mostly comes from this article:
http://www.informationweek.com/default.asp

The service promises 432 KB per sec but I am wondering how might work as I've heard the connection speed for satellites connections (phones) had a large delay due to the range of transmission.

Would anyone recommend this?

i have satellite internet- i had a choice between 4 deferent packages. i chose the cheapest which was 0 dollars down and 60 dollars a month, with an additional 20 dollars a month for the equipment.

internet speed - 700 KB (i think the highest package was $120 / 2MB)

you have a download threshhold(size depends on package). mine is 200MB a day , if you download more than that in a day your connection will get really slow for a along time. then i goes back to normal.

all in all, if you can get cable or dsl(upgraded), get that

if you can't...well, satellite is alot better than dial-up;)

i heard that satelite connection is gonna replace the connections we have now and i think that it will be more convinient for humanity cuz mobility is the future and satellite connection will make things easie for us all :o

Well I have made a small research on the internet about mobile internet and to be more precise about the these things you shouldcheck all the things avaialable since the companies I have found on the internet are only working wwith the hardware and the problem with the hardware when you finally have it is that you are not able to use internet since you do not hvae agreement with any other group. So you have to check all parts of agreement and not just buy hardware since it will not help you that much.