xisto Community
Norm35

Ad Aware

I've been using this program for a bout a year now. it seems to be pretty effective, at least to a non pro such as myself. What I'm wondering is, is there any real benefit to the paid version over the freeware version?

I think the Pro version just have some other features added to it. According to what I read (skimmed) it could also block popups, but it's really not needed with today's browsers. A lot have built-in popup blockers already.

The main thing I remember between the Pro and Free versions is that the Pro version has a program called Ad-Watch. What Ad-Watch does is give you real-time protection against common spyware instrusions. So it basically prevents it from happening in the first place.

There is a free program that can do something like this already. Basically it will ask you permission before allowing any changes. Take a look at SpywareGuard. Also, don't forget about the program called Spybot S&D. Basically I use Ad-aware and Spybot side by side for my spyware scans. In Spybot, there is a program called TeaTimer which you can enable during installation. That program provides real-time protection also.

Use them and see if you like them. If not, then I say give Ad-Watch a try.

Weapon X, you are on the ball today....But there is a better pay software to use than AdWatch, and that is webroot's Spysweeper.I have used this setup with the free version of Ad-Aware for about two years now.I have never had any problems with the software.......-William

If you are using it two years and have no problem so far than i don't think you need to switch to the paid version. The free version is good enough for me. Besides this I also use Spybot and Spywareblaster and these three gives me complete protection.