xisto Community
Jguy101

Need A Linux Distro...

Well, I really want to put Linux on my PC, and MEPIS looks nice, but I really need support for my modem. Also, I had a bad experience with the Ubuntu installer on my Mac...I accidentally wiped my drive. >_<

Soooooo....anyone know of a Linux distro that has a nice installer and support for PCI dialup modems?

for PC, ubuntu. Yes, I know you had a bad experience an your mac, but its still the best distro for nubs, and I assume you WANT to put a new OS on your computer. Oh, and if it wipes your drive, its cause you don't know enough to touch linux. Seriously. You need a new partition to install the OS, and if you don't have a spare one, you have to make one. How do you make one?BY WIPING THE OLD ONES.

If you got Ubuntu from the guys who send it to you free of charge, there's 2 cds. one actual installer, and one that is a live cd, where you can test it without actually installing and wiping. but it says on the cd that if you are going to install it that t'll wipe your drive. plain & simple. there's supposed to be an option to dual boot it too but for that you need to have a clean drive and install windows or whatever afterwards. NEways i think ubuntu is a simple easy and relatively reliable distro to start out with. LOL, ALWAYS make backups of your data before you touch anything related to registry or OS changes.

support for PCI dialup modems?

PCI hardware modems are usuallly supported, but winmodems AKA Softmodems can be a problem.

post the vendorID and ProductID of the modem.
The best way to find this is with the command "lspci -v" from within linux.

or, if all else fails, open up your computer, and have a look at the vhips on the modem, (you may need to peel of some stickers)

Look for a chip with "connexant" writtten on it. Most of these modems have been reverse engineered, and work with linux, although you will need to buy the driver.

Some are supported in linux, some are supported with 3rd party reverse engineered drivers, and some just wont work.

UBUTU should support it. I'm sure about it. Download it at http://www.ubutu.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t. But like MajesticTreeFrog said. Linux is for more expierenced people. If you don't even know how to make a new partition you shouldn't use Linux (nothing to shame about that, it's just a fact, there are lot's of people who don't know how to do that.-=Jeroen=-

UBUTU should support it. I'm sure about it. Download it at http://www.ubutu.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t. But like MajesticTreeFrog said. Linux is for more expierenced people. If you don't even know how to make a new partition you shouldn't use Linux (nothing to shame about that, it's just a fact, there are lot's of people who don't know how to do that.

-=Jeroen=-

1064324253[/snapback]

If you want support for your PCI modem I would suggest getting Mandrake or Redhat, they supported my softmodem even but it was hell to get working.

--------------------

Sm0k3y Mcl3uD

Linux is for more expierenced people. If you don't even know how to make a new partition you shouldn't use Linux (nothing to shame about that, it's just a fact, there are lot's of people who don't know how to do that.

You always have Mandriva or SUSE (now OpenSUSE) for beginners. I mean, when I installed my very first distro (Red Hat 7.3), I took me 3 times go get it right.
Last week I was installing Debian 3.1 3 times - till I got the hold of it.
The point - if you can experiment - do so, you'll learn something from your mistakes.

If you want LiveCD - try out Knoppix. Now it's on DVD, more software.

Gentoo beats all by far, and yes ofcourse it would support PCI dialup modems, but if you are looking for something simplistic, with a "click next" install, then go with fedora or mandrake.

I got my Ubuntu CD's in the mail, so yes, I have the live boot disk too. But, as I said, the installer is just horrible. I don't think I'd really care for a piece of softwaree where the DEFAULT installation mode wipes your whole drive. That presents a lot of problems for people who have no idea what the isntaller's gonna be like (like me). Yes, I know I need to partition my drive to isntall Linux, but that can be done during installation.

Well, OpenSuSE looks nice...I'm gonna see about possibly ordering install CDs or a DVD.

There is way to much miss-information here !

ALL linux distro's use the same kernel.. (the linux kernel !)

And as a result, all linux distro's are able to use the same software, the same drivers, the same everything.

Gentoo beats all by far, and yes ofcourse it would support PCI dialup modems,

If you want support for your PCI modem I would suggest getting Mandrake or Redhat, they supported my softmodem even but it was hell to get working.

UBUTU should support it. I'm sure about it

no, no, no.

Windows-Modem support under linux is poor, you annot make such claims without even knowing the modems manufacuter ID, or Product ID.

For drivers, it does not matter which distro you use.

Please dont post linux advice unless you know what your talking about, your not helping.

I would like to post an addendum to my comment about drive partitioning. Drive partitioning is really just a good example of the knowledge you need and of whether or not you will be able to get linux really working, especially long term. Linux is improving, and I am installing/trying it once more to see if it is good enough to be worth my time. You still need a good bit of technical knowledge to get things running, unless you happen to be on a very friendly hardware setup (unlikely). For instance, my current battles involve getting linux to talk to my USB 802.11g NIC and getting my sound working (works using a kubuntu live cd, but not the install. Sooo weird.). I may still just decide it isn't worth it. And that is just the way it is.The other thing to ask yourself is why are you installing linux to begin with? Unless you are an enthusiast, a programmer, or a networking person, chances are windows will work just fine for you. The skill it takes to be a competent enough admin for your own box is well under what it takes to even attempt to setup a good linux distro. So, if you are fleeing windows problems, likely as not you are better served (short term) by learning how to secure (as much as that is even a real concept on windows) your Windows machine. The experience will STILL be helpful on linux, as you will learn a lot about such things as firewalls, networks, and user rights.

Well, I'm going for Linux because I'm tired of XP Home, and I can escape many security problems (when was the last time a virus targeted Linux?). And, I am a programmer (C++ and Java), so I may do some programming on it....

Well, please keep in mind that Linux is NOT a Windows replacement, it's an alternative. If you just want to use it because that it's almost virus proof, then you DON'T WANT Linux. Linux is for people who want to learn how to use the operating system, learn how things work, and best of all, know how to actually use a computer.xboxrulz