xisto Community
justin138

Restoration Restore files youve deleted

"When you put an item into the trash you don't actually delete the file all you do is tell the operating system that it can reuse that space. With restoration you unease files because you are looking for the data on the drive that is still intact. You can use this program to recover documents and even data that you thought was long gone."  - G4

This program has been recommended by the guy's at G4's Call For Help, it's a very good program, I've tried it myself. Previously for my undelete needs I was using Tune Up Utilities, but that program isn't near as efficient as this one(Tuneup constantly nags, etc). Does not contain any spyware or viruses and it really works.

Restoration
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

I agree with you, its a great programme.

It can also erase completely the files in the recycle bin, by overwriting them, which is handy I think.

Personally I also use Eraser for deleting files rather than sending them to the bi, it's freeware of course, small, but does a good job, by overwriting the file. Try it out.

Restoration is a great program. I've used it many times. It saved me a from a painful situation lots of times.

I, perhaps like most people, really did not know that when you "delete" something, they do not actually get deleted. But hm... now I'm a little confused... from what you quoted, justin138, GN says that,

"When you put an item into the trash you don't actually delete the file..."

does this mean that when you simply send the file to the Recycle bin, the file does not get deleted or is it referring to instead that when you empty all of the files from the Recycle bin, the files do not really get "deleted"?

Now as for the "Eraser" program, this would completely delete/erase the file and you would not be able to ever see it again, correct? If this is the case, would the mean that there would be more space on our hard drive then, and in essence, our computer performance (run faster and whatnot) will be better? If this is not the case, does that mean that we can still use "Restoration" to restore the "completely deleted" file (as in, just in case we make a mistake and, using the "Eraser" program, "completely deleted" a file by accident. Yeah, very... stupid is the only word that I think really fits... but I can't say that I'm the brightest bulb when it comes to certain things... >.<;;;)?

Much appreciation to anyone in advance for helping me clear these questions up. ^_^

-- scryoko

When you empty to recycle bin, those files are only deleted from "use" shall we say, they actually remain on your gard drive, but you cannot access them. (or rather normal programmes cannot)

A programme like Restoration can access them, hence it can get those files back for you to use again.

Eraser deletes your files completely. It actually "overwrites" the original file, making it virtually impossible to be read again, it uses aa system employed by the US govt. amogst others.

So, basically, if you want to make sure your private files are completely feleted, so that they cannot be reead again by anyone, install Eraser and use it to that end.

I like this program also, but make sure you keep in mind that this program is not a lifesaver... What I mean is that if you deleted a file by mistake, you must use Restoration immediately to make sure that no other data overwrites your deleted file. Just to give you a simple example, let's say you deleted a big video file and instead of using Restoration immediately, you created a word document and saved it. That might have corrupted the deleted file a little if it overwrote the same exact sectors on the hard drive. You will get back either a distorted video file or just a plain corrupted/useless one.

WeaponX, yes, you're right there, I forgot to mention that.Mind you, it depends on the file type doesn't it? JPGs can be restored no matter how long they've been deleted (well, they appear to be all right after a month).

Filetypes don't matter, the fact that you can restore jpg's after one month is because the physical discspace where the jpeg was located wasn't overwritten and therefor could still be recovered.

pomjim:

Thank you very much for helping me clear that up. Now I actually get the whole thing. ^_^;;

WeaponX:

I am so very glad you supplied us with this wonderful tip. I think that if had used "Restoration" without knowing anything -- that you have to immediately restore a file -- I really would without a doubt have made that mistake. Thank you so much. ^__^

-- scryoko