xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mahanon

D&d (dungeons & Dragons) Is it good or bad?

Personally I feel that even knowing of this game has somehow lowered my I.Q. I have seen this game turn once productive members of society into virtual shut-ins, recluses, in a sense hermits.Even shy people become so inthralled with this game that they literally turn on what was once considered great friendships.Although I do know of some people that have managed to forge a career out of games such as this. But other than this I do not see another positive side to this phenomina.If you have anything to say to it pease don't hesitate I would really like to see what other people think of this......

I think it's not a wrong game, it's only a nice game. My friend is playing it....the only thing is, you shouldn't get addicted to it, cus then it's not fun anymore. But just play the game now and then on a friday night, with some crisps and coke (or beer B)) is definitely not a wrong thing.

I've never played D&D, but I understand the basic concept behind it as I've had several friends who played it. (Most of them seemed to outgrow it - after high school, when they started getting full-time jobs or going to college or whatever else, they just sort of moved on).Like just about anything else, I think D&D can be fine in moderation. I mean, alcohol in itself isn't bad, but if someone is addicted to it, that can make it pretty bad. Really bad, even. So, if a D&D player wants to hang out with his/her friends in Mom's basement on Saturday nights, cool. As long as nobody gets really hacked off about the way the game's going and beats the snot out of another player, y'know? *grins*

Thanks for the input so far and I to know very little about the game itself, only what I have learned in my former Game Design School and someone that constantly talks about it, by the way that really kills the mood of a party.But I do agree with you on that Sarah81, in moderation it could possibly be something good, however when they become addicted to it and quit attending classes for three weeks to go "Campaining" there is a serious problem going on in there life.I myself can never see me or the majority of my friends even contemplating playing that game, but I have heard rumors of people that began playing this game when it first came into being during the 70's and are still playing this game for some reason I guess this is the type of D&D person you do not wish to ever become.

And how is it different from the Poker nights that so many engage in? Wether it is D&D or cards, 1 night/week is nothing. Even when you consider average college lifestyle, I'd think that gaming is no worse than partying/drinking with buds 3-4 nights a week. There are so many ways to waste time, and D&D is probably one of the most harmless ones. Think of it as a night out with 4-5 friends, some booze, and something other than the TV to occupy your attention. Funny, but 4-5 guys spending the time locked inside the same room watching college hoops during March Madness considered "cool", but the same people, locked inside for the same amount of time playing D&D raise questions about their mental state.D&D, WH40k, etc are just a fun way to spend time with your friends, nothing more. It provides a focal point to the evening, people socialize about their daily things, drink beers, order pizzas, listen to music, etc. during those nights the same way as your regular OC party.