xisto Community
ebbinger_413

Little Questionaire for school...its interesting

my u.s. history class we are learning about monopolies...nothing big...i think its stupid....really easy. but we are talking about microsoft and how they are a monopoly. we have to go out and ask 20 people what they use and all this great stupid stuff...i figured that i should come on here and put a post to see what you guys all use and how many people i can get that dont use microsoft software B) so here are the questions...please answer them...or just reply with comments or w/e :blink:1) What brand of computer do you have? (put homemade if you built it yourself)2) What Operating System do you use?3) What browser do you use?4) What E-mail client do you use?5) What multimedia program do you use? (e.g. WinAmp, WMP)6) What Word Processor do you use ?(office, openoffice.org)7) What anti-virus program do you use?8) What anti-spyware program do you use?thank you :P

Okay..Well..heres my answers:1) Its a Dell Dimensions 5100 and its brand new! (I got it for my birthday and well...its pretty amazing!) B)2) Err....i dont really get this question to be honest.. >_< but if you mean as in what Intel Pentium Processor you use, then i use a Intel Pentium 4 Processor (with double memory! :P) lol3) Well...i think i use Internet Explorer but i dont trust it that much anymore as it went ballistic on my mums computer and now we use Mozilla Firefox. I think ill get Mozilla Firefox on my new computer as well but i do have the choice of Netscape as well...(for all you Netscape users out there, is it any good?)4) I use Hotmail and MSN and Yahoo....It takes too long to set up my Outlook Express so i just forgot about it! lol5) I have a number of Programs...err..ill only name a few....i use...------WinnZip------Windows Media Player------Real Player------A number of DVD playing Programs------Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 (does this go in Multimedia Category?)------Windows Movie Maker------Windows Messengerand a couple more...6) I simply use Microsoft Word Processor but i need to get it upgraded.7) At the moment, my trial for Norton Antivirus just expired but im bound to get that fixed and i heard of this new program...something with 'H' but i forgot. Apparently, its better than Norton Antivirus.8) I dont think i use any anti-spyware program(s) at the moment. But if anyone recommends me a good one, ill check it out!:blink:I hope those answers helped!

1) What brand of computer do you have? (put homemade if you built it yourself)I have about 15 computers, all different styles, some desktops, some big servers with hotplug RAID and all this. Right now I'm sitting at a Medion PIII 500 Mhz machine.

2) What Operating System do you use?

Windows XP,Windows Vista, Windows NT, Windows 2003 Server, Redhat, SuSe, XandrOS, Puppylinux, Vectorlinux, and I'm always trying out different Linux styles.

3) What browser do you use?

Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7 Beta, even in Linux I always try to install IE through Crossover Office. No Firefoxers comments on this, pleeease! B)

4) What E-mail client do you use?

Outlook Express, are there any others?

5) What multimedia program do you use? (e.g. WinAmp, WMP)

Windows Media Player, Real Player, Real Jukebox

6) What Word Processor do you use ?(office, openoffice.org)

Word 2002 and Ragtime

7) What anti-virus program do you use?

None except my brain! Hardware Firewall instead.

8) What anti-spyware program do you use?

Once used XoftSpy and Startup-Spy XP 2004

GreetingZ

1) homemad2) Windows + occasionaly Linux3) Opera 8.54) Opera M25) WMP106) Office, sometimes OpenOffice.org7) Avast and regulary scan by AntiVir and BitDefender8) Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, a² and spywareblaster

1) What brand of computer do you have? Custom built

2) What Operating System do you use? Win XP Pro and Fedora Core 4 64 bit

3) What browser do you use? Firefox and Opera

4) What E-mail client do you use? Thunderbird

5) What multimedia program do you use? (e.g. WinAmp, WMP) WinAmp

6) What Word Processor do you use ? Mainly Atlantis - which is a fancy version of WordPad, and OpenOffice.org

7) What anti-virus program do you use? Avast Pro

8) What anti-spyware program do you use? Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware

1. Compaq laptop.2. WinXP Home (but I also use Pro - just haven't installed it on this system yet).3. Firefox. I use IE only when applications/sites force me to (which is rare, thankfully).4. Yahoo! Mail. And I use Firefox to access my "real" e-mail account.5. Win. Media Player, QuickTime ... Flash sometimes.6. Office '03.7. AVG Free Edition.8. LavaSoft's AdAware.I hope this helps even if I DO use a lot of Microsoft stuff *grins*

1. A 2 years old DELL Dimension 8300.2. I'm currently running a dual boot sysmem with Windows XP and Linux Redhat Enterprise.3. Mozilla Firefox and sometimes Microsoft Internet Explorer.4. Microsoft Outlook Express and Hotmail.5. Windows Media Player, Flash MX 2004, Photoshop CS 2, Paint Shop Pro 7 and a bunch of other software6. Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat for somethings.7. Norton 20058. Zone Alarm Pro

my u.s. history class we are learning about monopolies...nothing big...i think its stupid....really easy. but we are talking about microsoft and how they are a monopoly.

My history class also talked about this when I was taking it two quarters before, and I learned that because of Microsoft's monopoly, the Clinton administration (I think) had sued Microsoft because of that and well, in the end, Microsoft of course lost. However, the law suit didn't end until Bush Jr. became president (or perhaps it did end before that) anyway, Bush Jr. hadn't really cared all that much about this law suit and gave Microsoft some slack. However much amount Microsoft had to originally pay for trying to monopolize the computer technology industry was cut in half (or maybe more or less than that, I don't completely remember it all). So all Microsoft had to do now was simply pay the amount that was left that the Bush Jr. administration said to pay. Which really sucks when you think about it. Tch... if you have money and power... you can do/get out of anything. Just look at the 2000 Presidential Election in Florida and you'll see what I mean. /snort/

Okay... enough of that, and onto helping you with the survey. ^_^

1) What brand of computer do you have? (put homemade if you built it yourself)

1. I actually have a total of three computers in my house -- one is mine, one my sister's and another, someone gave to us. I mainly use my Hewlett Packard one but I also do use my sister's (same brand) and the third one, Sony.

2. All are Windows XP Professional

3. Mozilla Firefox all the way. ^__^

4. Yahoo Mail, because I personally think it's more easy to navigate (as opposed to Hotmail -- it took me a long while to figure out that "New Message" is where you click on if you want to compose an email and send it to someone... but of course, this could just be my own idiocyncracy or stupidity.... >_<;;;).

5. I use Windows Media Player, however, I have also used WinAmp, MusicMatch Jukebox, Real Player, and NeroMediaPlayer.

6. Microsoft Word/Office XP; I have used WordPerfect before though when I did at the time, it got on my nerves because I would save the file and when I tried to open it on another computer, it wouldn't open...

7. Avast! -- which I think is much better than Norton Anti-Virus... which I had used before.

8. Hm... as for anti-spyware, I use Spy-bot Search and Destroy as well as Ad-aware... but then Ad-awre only detects adware, right? Or does it detect spyware as well?? I have not a clue. -.-;;;

Hope that helps! And good luck in history. ^__^

-- scryoko

1) What brand of computer do you have? (put homemade if you built it yourself)Homemade...2) What Operating System do you use?Windows XP...3) What browser do you use?Mozilla Firefox...4) What E-mail client do you use?neomail....5) What multimedia program do you use? (e.g. WinAmp, WMP)winamp....6) What Word Processor do you use ?(office, openoffice.org)microsoft office...7) What anti-virus program do you use?norton antivirus...8) What anti-spyware program do you use?hijackthis, adaware, search & destroy...

Ok here goes1) What brand of computer do you have? (put homemade if you built it yourself)Homemade2) What Operating System do you use?Resource Edited version of Windows XP Proffesional3) What browser do you use?Mozzilla FireFox and Internet Explorer4) What E-mail client do you use?Gmail Client, Thunderbird and Outlook5) What multimedia program do you use? (e.g. WinAmp, WMP)VLAN, WinAMP, WMP, Quicktime, RealPLayer, PowerDVD, WinDVD, Windows Media 26) What Word Processor do you use ?(office, openoffice.org)Notepad7) What anti-virus program do you use?Nod328) What anti-spyware program do you use?Adaware, Spybot

1-homemade2-Microsoft Windows Xp and microsoft Windows 20003-Microsoft Intenet Explorer and Firefox4- Outlook and Thunderbird 5-WinAmp and windows media player6-microsoft office xp7- Norton anti virus8- nothing B)

1) What brand of computer do you have? (put homemade if you built it yourself)

I have a Compaq, although I think the dude from whom I obtained this computer may have done some custom stuff to it.

I generally use Windows XP, though I use a live Knoppix CD whenever an occasion calls for it.

I use Firefox most of the time, unless I need to use a site which requires a plugin not available for Firefox. In that case, I use Internet Explorer, and I also use IE to test my web design.

Thunderbird.

I use Winamp for music, Windows Media Player for movies, Real Alternative for Realplayer files, Quicktime Alternative for Quicktime files, and VideoLAN for anything that can't be played by those.

OpenOffice.org

None. Unless I REALLY want to download an executable from a peer network, then I scan it with the free online scanner available at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

None.