xisto Community
ZeroHawk

Dragons Were They Really Alive?

I recently shaw a show on Discovery that talked about the possibility. I don't think it's a coincidence that mythologies of nations from all over the world (even ones that didn't interact with one another) all featured dragons. So did they exist long ago? Or where these myths referring to dinosaurs? It's an overlooked issuein my opinion. What do you think? I think these legends did refer to dinosaurs, its just that the dinosaurs were exaggerated a bit.

I don't think there were any like that. There were probably things that might've resembled it, but no, it wasn't still. I think the only dragon we call one today is the komodo dragon. Which isn't one at all because it doesn't even begin to fit the description of a made up dragon, except they both breathed. If there were dragons though, I don't think those poor knights would really stand a chance against them XD haha, really though, it's folks tales or fables, or whatever you want to call them that aren't real but made up stories.

Well, Personally I don't believe in dragons either the eastern, or western types as being real, at least not as portrayed in mythology. The dinosaur idea is a certainly a possibility. It does in part fit with the concept of dragons.Here's another interesting fact, the Bible refers to several dragons, including the great dragon, satan the devil. And it refers to dragons that were worshipped in earlier religions, especially in Babylon.-YBB)

A lot of christians believe that a few dinosaurs survived to a time in history a lot more recently than when they supposedly became extinct. Well I hardly buy into their ridiculous 6000 year timetable but as for the dinosaurs what could be more reasonable. Why should they all die at once. Every living thing struggles to survive. It only natural that a few may have survived. After all we have been wrong before, remember the Coelecanth (oops guess they were not extinct after all).What most people fail to realize about the fossil record is that the process captures records only occasionally and therfore tends to represent only the largest populations. Small populations struggling on the brink of extinction tend to get overlooked. It is in these small populations where evolution moves most rapidly, because large populations are too genetically stable. Thus it is perfectly expected to see gaps in the fossil record as we do.

I'm sure that at one point in time that Dragons, at on time, existed not just in folklore and ledgend but also in reality. Much like the Dinosaur the Dragon just becam extinct due to drastic climate change and the encroshment of man and civilization.I think I did see somewhere that they managed to find an intact, preserved Fossil of a dragon to study didn't they, or it might have just been a creature that resembled a Dragon, but then again they have managed to find prefectly preserved fossils of Dinosaurs as well.

The main problems in a Dragon existing are:-a) They're too big too fly. They're (going on common mythology) bigger than any living flying animal or any flying animal that ever lived, including dinosaurs and pterosaurs. They're have alot of trouble getting airborne :PB) Breathing fire? Could have been caused by hydrogen however with hydrogen you need an ignition - it won't just go up in flames by it's self. The is also the problem with blowing themselves up, or setting themselves alight. So they would have had trouble breathing fire.Is a dragon a dragon if it can't fly or breath fire? :blink:No dragon remains have been accepted by the larger scientific community (only mad scientists). Show me a living, flying, fire breathing dragon and you make make a believer of me yet!

As I see it dragons have never existed. When you say, that ancient people reports sightings of dragons I think they mean a dinosaur.But not a living dinosaur! What they saw were the fossils of dinosaurs. They probably saw enormous skeletons – skulls at the size of men. And they told these things to the people in the village they lived in. Over time these stories had travelled a long way and as we know from today’s world, the stories gets better and better the more people telling it.Someone probably said that they were still alive, then somebody said they could fly etc. And in a few hundreds years they were written into the myths.At least, that’s my opinion. B)

Personally I think that dragons do exist. I mean people only don't believe in dragons because they are mostly put into fair tales are presumed make-believe by most people. But really, if you think about it, there is no reason why dragons wouldn't exist. They could live in any part of the world and people wouldn't just make up that they've seen one, would they?

I totally agree with Shadow X.How do we know that Dragons are unreal? There is no proof..To me, they're more logically realistic than Dinosaurs. How can we be made to believe in the existance of creatures such as dinosaurs and not Dragons?Well...apart from the evidence...Okay..i know im contradicting myself a lot in this post but the point im trying to make here is very simple. What proof is there showing that Dragons are unreal or never even existed in the first place? If they are unbelievable because of being common in Fairy Tales, then so be it. Thats a childish point of view, if i do say so myself, (no offense to anyone) and if they werent in Fairy Tales, would you, or would people, rather, believe in them?

I dont believe there were dragons such as the ones you see in video games or gigantic huge ones that fly around the sky making towns cower in fear or something. It might be something that resembled it i guess...and from there they just over exaggerated some of its features but then causing the world to belive these creatures were real

As much as I love mythical lore, I think dragons fall into the same catagory as teh abonitable <sp> snowman and big foot. They were some odd disfigurment of nature and people blew it out of proportion. Not unlike the ever elousive Lochness monster...

I totally agree with Shadow X.How do we know that Dragons are unreal? There is no proof..To
me, they're more logically realistic than Dinosaurs. How can we
be made to believe in the existance of creatures such as
dinosaurs and not Dragons?
Well...apart from the evidence...
Okay..i know im contradicting myself a lot in this post but the
point im trying to make here is very simple. What proof is there
showing that Dragons are unreal or never even existed in the
first place? If they are unbelievable because of being common
in Fairy Tales, then so be it. Thats a childish point of view, if i
do say so myself, (no offense to anyone) and if they werent in
Fairy Tales, would you, or would people, rather, believe in
them?

Have you thought about the fact, that dragons look suspiciously much like dinosaurs? Theyâve just got a pair of wings and have the ability to burn things down just by their breath.
The âfire abilityâ could very well be some sort of folklore. I mean, you canât proof the fire breath, unless you find a living dragon. And if we look at it in a biological way the dragon would get severe burns if it was flying around spitting fire at everything.
Now, if you find a dinosaur with a pair of wings, it would probably (at least in the press!) be recognized as a dragon.
But until somebody finds this creature or a fossil, the creature remains a myth.