xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cube Domain1405241509

Seizing Control Through Capital Punishment ...for teenagers, I mean

What I find that inspires teenagers is garbage. It's mostly the parents fault, actually. While teenagers go on with their fancy cocaine, and their Music Television, and their make-out parties, and their pogo sticks, parents (at the risk of getting sued for child abuse) just sits there doing nothing while being controlled by their own children. And that's the world to you. Stupid music by Gwen Stefani, stupid news garnering sympathy and stupid parents letting their kids run wild. I am reminded of a saying from the book of Proverbs, "Beat your kids with the rod, for they will not surely die."What do you think are appropriate discipline punishments that teenagers should receive? While answering, keep in mind of the failures of today's youth brought on by lack of discipline.

Haven't you ever learned? You are responsible for your actions? The parents MAY affect what their kids do, but who actually PERFORMS the action? Yes, the kids. The kids do something wrong but they are the ones who should be punished.I personally think United States has a serious problem about this "child abuse" thing. Doh!! Why can't you freaking spank your children? Or at least beat them with a book or a belt? That's what parents do in South Korea and the government doesn't really care about it.As long as you're disciplining children for the wrong they did, it's fine. If you're abusing your child, it means you're beating them up for no reason at all.

Haven't you ever learned? You are responsible for your actions? The parents MAY affect what their kids do, but who actually PERFORMS the action? Yes, the kids.

Back here in the United States, parents are completely responsible for everything the child does. What I don't understand is WHY do the parents have to be responsible for everything even though they aren't allowed to discipline their children above "grounding" them? Now there's some food for thought.

I personally think United States has a serious problem about this "child abuse" thing.

I don't know about Korea, but today's youth in the United States break easier than moths. Believe it or not, I onced laughed too loud and some girl screamed, "SHUT UP!" That is the extent of their character.

As long as you're disciplining children for the wrong they did, it's fine. If you're abusing your child, it means you're beating them up for no reason at all.

I concur. Humanity would be a much better place if parents punished their children, not buy them candy and ice cream if they rob a bank.

Well, for those who are followers of the God in the bible, the answer to this problem is clear:If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of the town. They shall say to the elders, 'This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard.' Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death...Deuteronomy 21:18-21

fancy cocaine, and their Music Television, and their make-out parties, and their pogo sticks

Sorry i fail to understand what is wrong here. all of the above is called growing up. Teenage years are about forming a personality, opinions and learning to become an adult. I fail to get why beating up your kids makes them 'better'. All this kind of punishment serves to achive is resentment and hatred of elders, authority and parents - that wont make for a better society. Go ahead and beat your kids but expect more school shoot outs if you do.

Sorry i fail to understand what is wrong here. all of the above is called growing up. Teenage years are about forming a personality, opinions and learning to become an adult. I fail to get why beating up your kids makes them 'better'. All this kind of punishment serves to achive is resentment and hatred of elders, authority and parents - that wont make for a better society. Go ahead and beat your kids but expect more school shoot outs if you do.

Teenagers go through what is called, "Emotional Roller Coasters" when they start growing up. But that still doesn't excuse behavioral problems and their poor choices in life.
Of course, it is normal to be on an Emotional Roller Coaster. In fact, you're supposed to. As you grow, apparently your emotions do too. The Bible says, "Everything on earth has it's own time and season." There's a time to cry, laugh, smile, mourn, hate the world, feel depressed, want to die, feel left out, stress, go through the pain of addiction, start missing everything from the past and all of that is normal. Honestly, everyone believes their problems are unique, so they try to hide them. An observation I found of society is that we're all on the same boat! And that's a good thing because if our boat wasn't sinking, then we would never have the chance to learn how to swim.

To sum it all up in a nutshell, life will burst that self-esteem bubble. But how you are raised as a child will determine how you act to it as a result of your character.

I don't have children. But when I'm in charge of someone else's children - such as during Vacation Bible School week at church - I get really, REALLY irritated when I see the results of zero-discipline parenting.The kids are out of control. I usually volunteer to help with arts and crafts. They knock each other around, nearly throwing each other out of chairs, because EVERYONE wants the glue or markers or whatever first. (We finally got sick of it and started assigning kids stuff in turns so that there was no more fighting over the stuff. And some groups of kids were so rotten that we finally stopped even letting them pick the colors of the projects that they wanted to do. Oh, too bad - you're stuck with a green sun visor instead of the blue one that you wanted because you couldn't sit still and wait your turn like a civilized human being.) One kid almost got creamed (by me) because he started YELLING at me to give him pieces of a craft project that we were trying to pass out to each table in turn. (There was more than enough for everyone. I told them that THREE TIMES before I even started passing anything out. But this kid started screaming at me to give him his pieces. Grr.)They won't shut up when an adult is trying to demonstrate how to do the craft, or say anything else. They throw markers at each other. They jump up and run out the door to go outside even though they know that's not allowed (need an adult - the church is RIGHT off a busy highway.) They've even thrown their shoes at each other before.There are exceptions, of course. A few children are well behaved. I make sure to tell their parents how good their kids had been the entire week (I figure that if a kid does something good and right, he or she needs to know about it - so that he/she'll want to keep doing it AND so that they'll know Mom and Dad aren't the only ones who notice their behavior and are affected by it). I don't care what some people say: when done correctly, spanking - and most other methods of discipline - are GOOD for kids. They're GOOD for parents. They're GOOD for those of us who have to put up with monstrous little jerks (who will surely grow up to be out-of-control teenagers, then out-of-control adults). My parents spanked all five of us when we were growing up. None of us are in therapy. None of us are criminals. We all know how to behave like respectable adults. And when we were growing up, people were *constantly* telling Mom and Dad how good/polite/well-behaved/nice we were. It was worth a little stinging in my back side if you ask me.Please: if you have children, at least teach them how to behave when you entrust them to other adults. That's the least that you can do for us.

Children have to learn discipline, both mentallly and physically. Without it, they will be useless as adults.I am not against punishment for a child who misbehaves or whatever, a "spanking" does no harm, and never will.What has now happened with the law outlawing any form of punishmnet is like most laws passed in the past 20 years, they go too far. What was supposed to provide protection for an abused child has become the right not to be touched, stupid.My parents loved me deeply, but it didn't stop my father giving me a wallop when I desrved it!! And I'm pretty sure I have turned out a reasonable person.

Physical discipline can lead your child into the wrong path as well. I am a teen, and my abused (yes I will say abuse because I believe it is abuse) friends are into drugs, sexually active, and go to parties. I do no receive physical discipline and I am an honors student and I am abstinent. I don't know, maybe because my father was abused when he was a child and grew up to be an alcoholic, has caused me to turn out to be this way. All I'm saying is that hitting your kid, is hitting them into the wrong direction.-Megan

Physical discipline can lead your child into the wrong path as well. I am a teen, and my abused (yes I will say abuse because I believe it is abuse) friends are into drugs, sexually active, and go to parties. I do no receive physical discipline and I am an honors student and I am abstinent. I don't know, maybe because my father was abused when he was a child and grew up to be an alcoholic, has caused me to turn out to be this way. All I'm saying is that hitting your kid, is hitting them into the wrong direction.-Megan

I would NEVER dream of telling other parents what is appropriate in the discipline of their own children. Parenting is one of the truly most difficult problems in life that we all have to figure it out as best we can. I am not even sure that their is any "right" answer. Not only could there be many right answers but children are so incredibly different that I am pretty sure that any one method just will not work on all children. However, it is abundantly apparent that whatever method you use will be quickly immitated by your children, and so the use of hitting and yelling, although very effective at getting quick result, forces you to deal with the problem of them using the same means of modifying the behavior of others (Something which I have learned the hard way by first hand experience). Thus I have sought whenever possible to use punishments or consequences that are logically connected to their offense, and most often this has meant witholding some priviledge or activity which they have from me, or from which ever parent is offended. As I have told my children, their boss in life will always be someone who has something that they want.

I am 13 years old, so as a child, or technically teenager, I'd like to give my opinion.My father and mother only ever spanked me when I was under 7. After that, they stopped. And so far, I don't think it's made the slightest bit of difference without the threat of being spanked. Although I disagree with those who say that spanking is sexual harassment, that's ridiculous. I also disagree with those who think spanking is a good punishment. I'm not out of control, and I doubt I'll be out of control as an adult.

reply to displine for teens

Seizing Control Through Capital Punishment

Replying to Cube Domain

Hmmm... You really sound very angry, you must have a child you could not control. I have two one out of school (graduated early with honors) and another just starting High School. Yes, they talk back , have gotten into a little trouble (nothing illegal) - maybe failing a test or getting a bad grade, smarting off. I think maybe you need to have more control. My 13 yr. Old is very popular and all his friends get to go places etc. Sorry, no my child gets to go places where he is supervised, he does no get to roam the streets, he does not get money to buy drugs, he has to get good grades so he can play sports, we teach him the value of money, life, education, sex and religion. As for my grown daughter she has made it HER personal pride to be a virgin until marriage. We are not overly religious and I'll I have ever said to her on this topic was - when you are young, once you have sex it is all over for a girl because you always fall in love and can give up your dreams all over a boy. She decided to stay a virgin - I am happy she made it out of High school. I dunno - stop blaming the world and take responsibility for raising your child in the way you want to - and do everything in your power to keep them from the things you don't want them invovled with. Oh, and by the way not only do I love Gwen Stephani (the least of your problems) I love all rock and modern music - ooh I am dangerous. And if you really think she and others are evil don't let your child listen to it!

-reply by suki

Replying to organicbmxThat was the dumbest thing I have ever read. You are obviously a young person. I am fifty and grew up in a generation where authority was respected, elders where respected and you got your butt whipped if you crossed the line. Why were we not shooting each other and the like, such as today. The bible was written thousands of years ago and it is as relevant today as it was then. "Spare the Rod and spoil the child." -reply by Rochelle

Replying to Cube DomainOkay, a lot of you are just being ridiculous. It has been scientifically proven that physical abuse--which includes any beatings of any kind, no matter if they did something wrong or not--can lead to serious disorders later in life. Depression, self-esteem problems, mental illness--all of these could happen to a child just because you decided they were just a little too naughty and decided to beat it out of them.The US does go a little overboard with some of it, I will admit, but there are other, better alternatives to punishing your child than grounding OR beating them.