xisto Community
Zony

Firefox 1.5 Beta

I downloaded and installed Firefox 1.5 Beta. My first reaction was "Wow, look how fast it is!" but that soon changed. I first noticed that once again the memory hogging tactics of Firefox had returned. Whereas version 1.06 didn't even use 30MB of RAM for 2 windows each with three tabs, Firefox 1.5 Beta consistently used 70MB to 80MB. In addition, altohugh I like being able to rearrange the tabs and drag things to the tab bar, frequently the tab bar would freeze and not let me switch tabs. This and the memory usage meant I didn't get to appreciate the speed boost for more than about 10 minutes per load, and if I was running other programs there was no speed difference. When I tied to report these issues to QA, all I found was bug report links, andI'm not sure these are bug, so... Anyway, since they just released version 1.0.7, I recommend getting that instead of 1.5 Beta, and either wait for 1.5 Beta 2 if they have that or just the final stable release.~Viz

I downloaded and installed Firefox 1.5 Beta.  My first reaction was "Wow, look how fast it is!" but that soon changed.  I first noticed that once again the memory hogging tactics of Firefox had returned.  Whereas version 1.06 didn't even use 30MB of RAM for 2 windows each with three tabs, Firefox 1.5 Beta consistently used 70MB  to 80MB.  In addition, altohugh I like being able to rearrange the tabs and drag things to the tab bar, frequently the tab bar would freeze and not let me switch tabs.  This and the memory usage meant I didn't get to appreciate the speed boost for more than about 10 minutes per load, and if I was running other programs there was no speed difference.  When I tied to report these issues to QA, all I found was bug report links, andI'm not sure these are bug, so...  Anyway, since they just released version 1.0.7, I recommend getting that instead of 1.5 Beta, and either wait for 1.5 Beta 2 if they have that or just the final stable release.

~Viz

1064323401[/snapback]

Like you know, this is just the 1st beta version. I really hope they will fix these problems, but personal I like 1.07 better than this verison of 1.5, but of course, that is because this is the 1st beta (I hope..).

70-80MB is mutch, to mutch. I really hope they will get that down.

I'll download it in a few days until I get a new charger for my laptop because im using the PC which my dad uses, I use the laptop and ill install it on that but the charger is busted and I need to get a new one and ill get a new one in a few daysWish I got it now so I can try that out B)

70-80MB is mutch, to mutch. I really hope they will get that down.

I know what you mean. Firefox 1.0.0 had this problem, and updates fixed it to around 40MB max for lots of windows and tabs. 80MB (especially since I have 384MB total) is too much for me, and it slows down all programs to the point that I no longer see the speed increase. I'm definitely going to try Beta 2 or the final release, though. My reason for liking firefox is plain and simple, best CSS support.

~Viz

Wow thanks, for a non-profitable host, firefox is moving very quickly don't you think? I've always had IE but when I heard of MF I seriously decided making the change straight away! Thanks for site Zony.

Firefox is really getting on my nerves lately. Out of nowhere version 1.06 was crashing out on my daily. So I decided to upgrade once I saw this post. It was a bit more stable for the most part, but before I know it, it bombed out on me again.Firefox is really not that secure any more. Some say it's almost as vulnerable as Internet Explorer. So for now, I switched back to what I was using a few years back...Opera. Now it's totally free without the ads. No crashes yet B)

Ill check it out. If the Ram hogging is true, then that would be very bad for programmers who have alot of applications and beta versions of their programs running, because they would get crashes or either their computer would go very slow. I like FireFox, but im currently using Maxthon. Ill see if this versions better then the other FireFox.

I use Opera, and firefox will have to improve a hell of a lot to entice me to change over.Opera has a smaller footprint, is easier to use, is better looking (not that it matters) and, most importantly, it's faster.Also, firefox is getting nearly as bad as IE for bugs and security holes, while at the moment anyway, opera is pretty secure. Of course, now it's free that may well change if more people start using it, the same thing happened with firefox when it too got lots of users.