xisto Community
Zony

Best Forum System

IPB and VBullitin I would recommend but phpBB is still pretty good B)

1064323266[/snapback]

I used to use PHPBb on my site, but now I use the port of PHPBB that comes with nuke....

-William

You will get different responses to this, but I personally use SimpleMachines Forum (SMF). Have thought about switching to phpBB but was warned of the many security flaws it has in the code and the amount of time it takes the developers to release a fix for it. Not bashing phpBB here (not at all), but SMF does seem to be better (albeit even though more people use phpBB).

InvisionBoard is pretty good also, but it's a paid forum system. SMF seems to be a little faster than most of these forums (free or not).

Zony, I think wwheeler is talking about phpNuke, the content management system (CMS). What this basically does is that is shows many categories of information in one web page. See this site for more information. There are many CMS out there. Another one you might want to take a look at is Mambo. If you use Mambo, I think there is something called a Mambo bridge over at SMF that you can use to have this integrated with each other.

For our old halomadness site, we used to use a form of InvisionBoard that was free, I think that is one of the best out there, but because of the way the host ran, all we got was a forum, and we couldn't get a backup copy or anything. We also had to host the images using other sites (photobucket) and they would keep dissaperaring.The new site we have uses PHPBB, and it seems to be good software, but the theme I have now is kinda cheap looking.I also think the SMF system is fast and clean, but I like PHP-Nuke beter than Mambo.

I have used PHPBB in recent past to host a local site at my campus . It was neat stuff. I am using Drupal now as i decided to expand more than just forums. There is a list of Open Source Content Management Systems (opensourcecms.com) which has ratings for differnt catagories. In forums PunBB tops. As you can see URL=http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=388&Itemid=143]here[/url]
http://forums.xisto.com/
that PHPBB still has the largest USERBASE.any one tried punbb yet?

I have personally used php-nuke and mambo and loved mambo above all the cms that I have used. Now coming to the forum system, Invision was good when free.. but now it is not so I have stopped using it.. I tried VBulletin and SMF but liked SMF more.. (no particular reason).. maybe coz SMF integrates well with my Mambo site and the bridge functions quite well...what else... Cheers,Himanshu

I think we can say that is phpbb.. or what?

But is the nuke thing good?

1064323304[/snapback]

If you like phpBB then you would like PHP-Nuke right out of the box, the main problems is using mods, but you can get mods that have been ported to PHP-Nuke for the phpBB, but they are hard to find, you can go Here and get some, there are about 28 of them there with a forum that has a list with a description of each MOD for the PHP-Nuke and what it does.

Out of those I've tried (IPB, SMF, phpBB, vBulletin) IPB is the best! Even though it is not free, it has so many options which can really be useful. Furthermore, there are hundreds of mods for all sorts of things.On the other hand vBulletin is also really good, but I don't like its defaul skin, so that's a minus, whereas I am really keen on the IPB default skin.phpBB is too easy to hack into (I have not tried it myself, though), and SMF is good, free, secure, but lacks some good options that IPB has.

Yeah, have to agree with pyost on this one. IPB is probably the one I would choose for a paid one. vBulletin is more for the advanced user though...many more complicated hacks/mods from what I heard than IPB. But I'm a big IPB fan due to the user interface :P Just a few more things to add why I still like SMF better. SMF has free tech support and future upgrades. If a security flaw is found, they will patch it up ASAP. Free is not always better, but when it comes to forum, I have to put it on the top list of forums :)