xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sickgrrl723

Funny Google Search

this is pretty funny...1. go to google2. type in "failure"3. click "i'm feeling lucky"4. laugh

Heh, that's pretty funny... You can also get the same effect by clicking on the first search result.I wonder if Google did that on purpose. Michael Moore is also another result (The second one) on the search.

Interesting, Hilarious in the fact that in my humble opinion, they could not be farther from the truth...But, I will try and keep this from being a flame war, or a political thread...-William

i really hope no one takes offense... honestly, it's not that i'm out to start any conflicts around here... in my personal opinion, i think it's funny... if you don't, then, that's your opinion and i respect that...

No, please don't get me wrong, I think that it is too funny, I just have a tendancy to share my political Views in the wrong places.I'm not offended, and i like you hope that no one else will be.Please don't take what I said to be offense, that was just too damned funny...-William

Hehe... I actually remember seeing this on the News somewhere when the prank first surfaced. And no, it wasn't Google itself - apparently, some fiends managed to revise the crawler code (not sure if I'm using the correct jargon) so that when the word failure is typed in, well, you see the results. As a matter of fact, the below is the source from which I first found out about it.

Web users entering the words "miserable failure" into the popular search engine are directed to the biography of the president on the White House website.

The trick is possible because Google searches more than just the contents of web pages - it also counts how often a site is linked to, and with what words.

Thus, members of an online community can affect the results of Google searches - called "Google bombing" - by linking their sites to a chosen one.

Weblogger Adam Mathes is credited with inventing the practice in 2001, when he used it to link the phrase "talentless hack" to a friend's website.

The search engine can be manipulated by a fairly small group of users, one report suggested.

Newsday newspaper says as few as 32 web pages with the words "miserable failure" link to the Bush biography.

The Bush administration has been on the receiving end of pointed Google bombs before.

In the run-up to the Iraq war, internet users manipulated Google so the phrase "weapons of mass destruction" led to a joke page saying "These Weapons of Mass Destruction cannot be displayed."

The site suggests "clicking the regime change button", or "If you are George Bush and typed the country's name in the address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly (IRAQ)"

Source: BBC News - World Edition; ONLINE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3298443.stm Dated: Dec. 7, 2003

Either way, props to those guys. I didn't/don't really care for either candidate and now the 1 president, so this was a bit of a chuckle for me.

i didnt realize it was that old... i guess i just didnt catch on quick enough... i still think it's hilarious... oh well...

Wasn't there one a while ago with a fake "This page cannot be displayed" message?If memory serves, I think it came up when you typed in Weapons of Mass Destruction.Everyone was saying that Google had been hacked to make that come up whenever you typed a cerain thing in and presses I'm Feeling Lucky, but it was just at the top of the search results.

Well I'll be. Those people at google must have someting to do with this. However, it is quite funny. Just a question. Does everyone have the same opinion about this guy? I'm Australian, so I get a different view of the guy. I see Bush on the TV and if it's something to do with our leader...then i'll see John Howard with a BIG smile on his face and looking at Bush with puppydog eyes. Anyway, that's about it.Ryan