xisto Community
jonassen-tjader

Firewalls Anti-virus, Anti-Spyvware and firewalls

Zonealarm is the best. Its designed for both Experts and Novice Users. Allows full control over the firewall configuration. Takes only a decent amount of memory. I've been using Zone Alarm for over 2 years and its still the best.

For Firewall , I highly recommend that you should use Outpost Fireall Pro , it is pretty strong and the most important thing , it nearly doesn't slow down your computer , not like Zone Alarm . And its Anti-Spyware is very good too . So I think Outpost Firewall Pro will be a good choice.

Ever since I connected my home computer (many years ago) to the internet, I’ve searched and tried many security softwares, especially the free ones. In the past few year I’ve used three softwares to protect my computer and am very pleased with the results.

Firewall – ZoneAlarm: ZoneAlarm let’s me control what program have access to the internet and what program can access my computer. ZoneAlarm is a really great firewall and easy to use.

Anti-Virus – AVG: download all updated antivirus files daily. AVG is extremely reliable and best of all easy to use.

Spyware – Spy Sweeper: Not only does SpySweeper sweep your computer for any existing spyware, it will also keep them away. But you should still sweep your computer regular to keep your system running fast and smoothly.

Best of all these three softwares are free for downloading. You can find them at http://download.cnet.com/windows/.

This combination is a great bundle to keep your computer safe and fast.

Yes i would recommend Windows XP SP2 Firewall aswell as it not only closes all unneccessary ports and prompts you open them as you need them but it creates a New connection for each type of media you place into your computer for exampl your webcam and T.V. Card which is great because you can then have different levels of security with simplicity to boot, which i why most people stay away from Zone Alarm.

You're kidding right?!? The firewall that comes with windows doesn't do anything but annoy the crap out of computer users. If you know little about firewalls, i guess u'll probably use windows firewall but I've used many other firewalls. Even Tiny Personal Firewall v2.0 works better than windows firewall. (TPF is now known as Tiny Software and there's been about 5-8 other versions after v2.0)

When, in Windows world I was still using Windows XP, then I had installed WIPFW - a windows clone of ipfw of unix/BSD, plus conservative setting: not allow any incomming connection, only responces  for my requests.

http://wipfw.sourceforge.net/doc.html

It resembles me my FreeBSD box, ony by firewall, but anyway )

And instead of IE, which is home of viruses ( only initially inhabitant) I am using Opera

These 2 steps was pretty enough, there was no infections almost a year, when I've migrated to Vista. Well, in fact I know how to cure windows machine, just in case it become infected :mellow:

Alas WIPFW doesn't fork with Vista yet

And yes: it is free ( with BSD style licencing)

as you haven't always ideas about what is good to block and what are needed to keep open.

With most firewalls, in my opinion, especially firewalls that ask if you want to accept something or not, if you are doing something like installing software, or opening up a browser, etc., then more than likely you want to accept it. Most of the time, if a firewall starts asking you if you want to accept something or not while your not doing anything, then you probably don't want to accept it, obviously.