xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chris1234

Stuck On My Website

hello, trying to update my website, and have found a problem, well i thought everything was under the public_html section (for viewing) and it was - im sure as i regulary updated my site via ftp. Now when i do so it has no effect in updating, in fact i even deleted my index_html files as a test, and the site still works?? is that weird?so my question is where is my website? and how do i find out its address/location on the host server?thankschris

All your public files that you want to be displayed online should be in the public_html folder. If you moved your files there it should work.Your website's address is the username you signed up for when you applied for the Xisto webhosting package. So if it was chris1234 that you applied for, then your site should be at chris1234.astahost.com

Actually this sounds just a typical case of clearing the cache because if chris1234 cleared out the entire index_html folder and it still works, it is probably due to the fact the site is caching of his own hard drive - so if you are running internet explorer before checking any updates on your site in future i recommend going tools internet options and clearing your temporary files, if you use firefox then click tools options and under privacy u can clear the cache again. If you use another kind of browser then search on the web for clearing its cache.Good Luck

hi, thanks for helpiing.Now the weird thing is I have cleared the cache in ff & ie, and also deleted the index_html file in the public folder on the server and it still loads. I have tried replacing the old index_html with the update via ftp and it does so without problems, but seems to be showing the old file! reading from elsewhere? is that possible? I used to update like this - without problem , now the gremlins have got in somewhere, i dont understand it.also when pressing the refresh button it should update the page if it has changed.Is there a way to see where the web page has loaded from?thanks for any ideas.chris

hi, thanks for helpiing.

Now the weird thing is I have cleared the cache in ff & ie, and also deleted the index_html file in the public folder on the server and it still loads.

I have tried replacing the old index_html with the update via ftp and it does so without problems, but seems to be showing the old file! reading from elsewhere? is that possible? I used to update like this - without problem , now the gremlins have got in somewhere, i dont understand it.

also when pressing the refresh button it should update the page if it has changed.

Is there a way to see where the web page has loaded from?

thanks for any ideas.

chris

1064322951[/snapback]

What is the ftp address you use to upload your files. Is it ftp.subdomain.astahost.com or an IP address.

if you are using an IP address, use the address format above instead.

Also, try accessing the file via the file manager in the cPanel.

If you wouldn't mind, also post the url of your website so that we may better determine your problem.

vujsa

i am blaming the ftp software.I used the cpanel to do the udate via the website, and not the 3rd party ftp program which must be to blame as there are no other eventualities.thanks for all your time & help