xisto Community
Xplote

Ms Train Simulator

I think it's a very cool game. I played it a while but I uninstalled it because it's quite a big game (about 2gigs) and I needed the space. If you like trains you sure should buy it. Only disadvantage: it's hard to learn all the controls and sometimes it can get a bit boring because you have to wait for a while.-=jeroen=-

To me they're quite different games.

I played MS's train sim last year & thought it had some really amazing graphics especially the steam effects on some of the older trains .. very pretty. But didn't play it that long to really get into it. Anyway, it is the most popular wrt sales I think. The focus is more on the actual sim, i.e. aspects of driving the train itself.

I played the 2004 version of Trainz (2006 is the current version) and it was graphically a bit behind MS (to me MS is focused on realistic visuals & trainz is more cartoony .. but I don't care much about graphics as you'll see below I like strategy games like railroad tycoon!), however it's got some unique features that make it last longer IMHO (but again it's subjective .. I'm not that interested in the driving aspects, but more into strategy games etc!!). It even has some railroad tycoon like strategy aspects. It focuses on the transport links themselves and transporting goods etc. AI can even take over the driving somewhat, but I'm guessing that's not the sort of game most people are after! If you liked railroad tycoon, then you should try this out!

And that bring me to railroad tycoon! I haven't played the new version of railroad tycoon (v3) yet, but saw a video review a while ago and I remember thinking it looks even better than v2 (perhaps that's expected, but railroad tycoon 2 was one of the most addictive/fun games I'd played in this area, so that's saying something ... but then again that was years ago)! This goes into more depth in the business aspects, competition etc, which to me was a lot of fun ... but again it's a very different game to the other two!!

http://www.uktrainsim.com/ might help your decision ... it is mainly a MS train sim site, but it does have a whole load of reviews incl several on the trainz sim.

I have MS Train Sim. Haven't played it in awhile though. First played it at a museum in Georgia when I was in 8th grade and then got it for my birthday that year. Played it for a couple years after that but uninstalled it after awhile since it is a big game and I needed some space.

I've got both MS Train Sim + Auran Trainz. They are both different but I prefer MSTSIM because you have better and more realistic driving and firing than Auran and the keyboard commands are easier to learn.