xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rantsh

Wifi On Knoppix-std With a Netgear WG511T

Today I discovered that among the million things I don't really know how to do in linux, there's one thinkg I REALLY don't have a clue of how to even start.I just downloaded knoppix-std and wanted to use it with my netgear wg511t adapter, and I realized, I don't know how to install this device in a live CD distro, or how to install any other device in knoppix for that matter, can anyone give me a little hint please?

Well i can try and help. i wanted to do exactly the same thing - wifi on knoppix. i never figured it out and installed kubuntu anyway. So here is how to set this up and this should hopefully work - im not a hardware person but im guessing that kde will have support.First - Open KWiFiManager from one of the many menu's - putting that into the konsole should get it too. Go to Settings => Configuration Editor.Fill in all the appropriate detailsDown the bottom you need to autodetect the deviceThen activate the configurationThen applyNext open KonquerorSettings => Internet and Network => Network SettingsConfigure the settings and EnableThen applyThat should give you the wifi and then just start samba or whatever you want and knoppix should be easy on the rest. I hope this works - Im pretty sure it should, onyl problems i can think of could be irritating needing root - and i havent a clue what the knoppix password is - i think it is autogenerated.