xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nickmealey

Windows Update And Pop-ups? I installed SP, but still...

I just recently installed SP2 on our other computer, thinking it would fix most of my problems. First, it has billions of ads popping up, even with Service Pack 2. Second, the windows update doesn?t function properly; every time I go to the windows update site (Only on this computer) it never loads. Cable internet and I know it should load, because I did it on mine. So basically, I have lots of pop-ups and can?t get windows update to do its thing. Anybody have any solutions?

I think your computer is infected by adware... You can download a great adware-remover here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Additionally, I think you should use another internet browser than IE...

Firefox is a good browser, blocking pop-ups, faster and you can use "tabbed browsing"... Read more on their web-page:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

I'd suggest to try out hitman pro (http://www.surfright.nl/en) although it is a dutch site, most of the programs used are english or they are so self explanatory that you would not have problems using them anyway, and besides the program is made so you only have to install en start it up, the rest it takes care of by itself (e.g. starting programs, running the scans etc.).

First of all I would get rid of all of your spyware and adaware you have on your computer. Meaning you need to install Spybot-Search-and-Destroy and some really good antivirus like Kapersky or Nod32 in Safe Mode (safe mode is accesed via pressing key F8). After all your viruses are killed and adaware and spyware removed, you should also run program Hijack this.

Links:
Kaspersky_Antivirus
Spyboot_Search_and_Destroy
HijackThis

Hope this helps.

I just wanted to put my vote in for Ad-Aware too. I have tried other free spyware cleaners and this one really works the best.

Ad-Aware is falling behind in the race, though. Spybot is pretty old too. Get the free trial of Spy sweeper, and the Microsoft Anti-Spyware. The latter is first rate, it has real time protection absolutly free!!

I dont thik you should expect a lot from MS, you might want to get ad-ware, to go the cheap way and get most of the pop up out of your pc, and you should get firefox, to get some of the popups out of the way to. Or you can just get Norton System works, which will help you out too, but still download firefox if you dont have it yet.