xisto Community
rantsh

Windows Software On Linux What do you use?

I tried Wine once but couldn't get it to run anything, as some of you may have read on other topics I'm setting up a desktop to be a Linux workstation. But I was thinking I might want to run some PC games on this desktop. What do you recommend?

I would recommend running a dual boot system. Unfourtonatly, that probally wasn't too helpful. The thing is that with games, you probally won't get good preformance with an emulator. (although I did see somebody who had a linux box emulating windows, emulating apple, it lagged like crazy, but it was awsome)

I don't know how long it's been since you've run Wine, but it's been updated a lot recently. They have a list of games it can successfully (supposedly) play, including games based on the Quake engine such as Jedi Knight II. However, I personally haven't tried any of these. If you haven't tried Wine in a while, see if it lists your games, and if it does, give it a shot. The more tests they have, especially with bugs reported, the more likely they ill be to eventually get it close enough to perfect.~Viz

If any of those games use Direct3D, then you need cedega.Ive been playing Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike source on cedega in linux.And thanks to linux's ability to take full advantage of my 64bit hardware, in some area's it performs a little bit beter with windows games than windows, lol.

Question, is there anyway to get cedega for free. Because if you can't, then I still vote for trying with Wine, as they have recently been working on DirectX compatibility. I don't know how far they are, but the more users there are with more applications reporting more bugs, the better Wine will become.~Viz

Question, is there anyway to get cedega for free.  Because if you can't, then I still vote for trying with Wine, as they have recently been working on DirectX compatibility.  I don't know how far they are, but the more users there are with more applications reporting more bugs, the better Wine will become.

~Viz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

vizskywalker, we all know you get things free because you are so good at sucking

C O C K and F U C K I N G people in the A S S ;);):);)

vizskywalker, we all know you get things free because you are so good at sucking

C  O  C  K and F  U  C  K  I  N  G  people in the A  S  S ;)  ;)  :)  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel like laughing over you... You are just opening your filthy mouth and showing the world how dirty minded you are. Not only that, you also displayed the care and respect you have for others publically.. Things like this reflects ones CHARACTER and PERSONALITY. I really don't want to say anything about this, Others who are reading that will very well come to know WHO is WHO! :-)

I appologise others for the language I have used .. but I and our entire staff cannot tolerate any disrepect towards any of our staff members.

but I and our entire staff cannot tolerate any disrepect towards any of our staff members.

I feel this is important to point out: we staff also cannot and will not tolerate any disrespect to any of the Xisto members. It is wrong to disrespect anyone on this forum, and a violation of the TOS, but it is dumb to do it to a moderator or Administrator.
~Viz

Dual Boot for Gamers ..or better ..get Dual Systems if u r a freak gamer.and Transgaming other wise.If you just want to run some Windows Spftware which may not run without Windows...you may wana try VMWare. They have a 30 day evaluation copy avialble for Linux. I use it to run Windows XP (in which i run macromedia contribute ...it is required by a website i work on some times.)

The problem running games on pure Wine is that it's DirectX implementation is poor.

There are other problems with Wine also. I tried to run scripts for the NoteTab Pro scriptable text editor on Wine. Although the basic editor functions worked, some of the script functions didn't work, and it was unusable.

I suspect that instead of trying to use NoteTab on Linux, I'll end up trying to find a graphical front end for Awk, which will do roughly the same thing.

There's always a Linux alternative for windows software, except for games, Then there are only alternativs when the gaes company chooses to make one, OR the games engine source is released.Which is why i think people concentrate on games with cedega.Up untill very recntly, i was very impressed with cedega's ability to run half-life 2.but a steam update seems to have broken steam for wine... gotta wait till the cedega team fix it B)