xisto Community
HTML_Guru

Looking For "Forum Staff": Anyone Interested?

Hey, so I was thinking of setting up my own forum from InvisionFree, but I was wondering if there were any other knowledgeable Forum "doers" who would like work with me to make a forum together. I just wanted to see how it went, so if there is anyone interested, reply with some info.

What is this forum going to be used for? That should probably be a good starting point for anyone who wants to apply. Or do you just want someone to help set up the forum and that's it?I'll be the first to volunteer if you want. I played around with InvisionFree before myself and should know my way around it (more or less ;) ). I have created a InvisionFree forum for a college project before and it wasn't that hard to setup.

sure, ill work with you add me to msn (ek_xpert_AT_hotmail_DOT_com) or email me at amd167_AT_gmail_DOT_comYa im quite intrested in the topic you want this forum to be, cause just public all around forums dont usually work unless theres an incentive to stay at the forum, like maybe you get a faster server every 250 posts? i dont know, but there are several topics the forum could be based off of (ie. warez, cheats, webhosting, games, design ect..)

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Guys - a word of warning. Don't post your emails straight away like this on public message boards. It makes the work of SPAM Harvester Bots very easy. If they arrive upon this post, they'd simply rip your addresses off and add them to it's database and thats the end of it :) I've changed them to a suitable format for you - but in future when you post emails try to do them in the following format:

myemail@mydomain.com ==> myemail_AT_mydomain_DOT_com

If the bots can't find the @ and . signs, they don't treat a string as email and discard it. On the other hand, presence of these two characters in a string, is a sureshot way of voluntarily donating your address to the harvesters.

All the best :)

m^e

If the bots can't find the @ and . signs, they don't treat a string as email and discard it.

m^e

1064327360[/snapback]

I can not only confirm this, unfortunately the bots have become a little bit smarter meanwhile. They are not as good yet as us humans and cyborgs ;) but they could read an address like myemail_AT_mydomain_DOT_com and turn it into you know what. I subscribed to a mailing list recently which has a repository accessible via the web. Although the mailing list transformed the addresses in the way described by you, a couple of days later the spam started arriving already. Adressed to my regular email address which I have been able to keep mostly spam-free for a couple of years. It's only thanks to good spam filters of my ISP and my mail client that I usually don't see it, but a look in the junk mail or spam folder tells the story clearly.

And changing my email address is no option in my case: the email address I am talking about is in the format of "myfirstname@mylastname.com" §?!%&!!! :)

Well, as a matter of fact, I could use some help from you, if you know how.Firstly; as of right now, I am using a free InvisionFree board; I have had it up for a bit more than a month, and it's going well. I haven't promoted, and already I have nearly 20 members. I could get into the premise of the board, but, for the purpose of it, we'll say it's for an MMORPG that I play every so often but my brother plays quite a bit. I'm setting it up for my brother and his guild (it's my guild too; I just don't frequent the game much so...), and so far, many of the game's guild members have joined. I also already have a logo, created by myself and my brother; it's simple, but snazzy.Now, the preposition; the InvisionFree boards don't have mods, and skins are created manually via CSS and HTML write-ups. As it is, it would't be much of a problem setting up a skin as such, but for me, it's a lot of trouble to work throught it all; plus, I'm not very proficient with CSS - and, if you must know, I don't have the patience to set up my own skin.So... if there's anyone willing to set up a skin for my board, that would be great! I will be sure to give you much credit, and advertise said "credit" throughout the boards. Also, in the least, if you wanted, I could manage some moderator position.Ball's in your court.

Take a look at what I can do with Invision boards at the link provided right here at IPBNuke as far as skins go I can help comewhat but there are plenty of those at http://www.invisionize.com/ good luck with using an Invision board, and I also modify phpBB2 using the PHP-Nuke.

Most of the skins for games though tend to cost but I have members of some of my boards that might provide one for nothing since I code things for them.

Now, the preposition; the InvisionFree boards don't have mods

1064331435[/snapback]

InvisionFree boards CAN have mods actually, the only thing you need to do is creating them. If you need any help, I'm would l0ve to help you :) I know how to handle the CSS sheets of IF so if I can help you, just PM me.

-jeroen=-

Update!

So, I've got my board set up; it's called Open Source, though it's not as it sounds. No, I'm not hosting projects or whatever, I'm using it to imply the sharing of programming knowledge, and other such things.

For those who have posted here thus far (and any others):
Go to S13.InvisionFree.com/Open_Source

(BTW, I'm not giving myself a PLUG; I just wanted to inform those who were interested for helping me for staff to know the URL)

P.S. Some topics that I have currently up... well, I'm not knowledgeable in. For instance, I'm not so hot at Javascript and I barely know C and C++. So, I need some staff who can lead those forums, and other such forums as I may need it.

If you are knowledgeable in those as well, definetly don't hesitate to tell me or register, so I can set you up.

I will be willing to give you guys (who posted) Moderator positions, and even Admin, depending on the circumstance.

Thanks, guys.