xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ConDor

Norton Problem

Can you clarify just a tad? Is your computer running slow ever since you put Norton on the system or are you trying to speed up the system with Norton? Also are you just talking about Norton Anti-virus or perhaps Systemworks. This reason I ask is that as odd as it may sound I use Norton to speed up my computer but that is with Systemworks with utilities that include defrag and Windoctor. If this is not the case this yes Norton AV will slow down you computer esp if you have an older machine. The only time that I have noticed an unacceptible drop in performance is if I get below approx 700MHz. The only alternative is to use a different scaner. I do not have any expertise in this area and I am sure that one of the fine posters here will follow up with suggestions.

Norton is quite a resource hog, to the point where it will almost crash older computers. How much RAM and what kind of processor do you have? If you have less than 512 MB of RAM, you might really get slowed down by NAV. Also, there are more effective programs out there, I've used Pc-Cillin and been happy, right now I'm using Avast, which is nice and has the added bonus of being free. ;)

I have said this to many users and will ask you the same thing. Do you have to keep Norton? Like Retaining said, Norton is a big resource hog and I usually ask users to switch to another antivirus and firewall program for security.

The two programs I recommend are Grisoft AVG (antivirus) and ZoneAlarm (firewall). Both are free for personal use. You might have to do some digging to find the Free Download link for ZoneAlarm though.

Those two programs should work smoothly on your machine and, in my opinion, are much better than Norton.

accually i got Norton antivirus 2005 and im having no problems its really good and works well also another good antivirus program would be kaspersky they are really good, but definetly not as good as norton, ive never had problems with the newest norton, maybe the older ones, but not this new one

Norton always has problem with the system resources. Earlier I was running windows xp and using norton antivirus. But I was facing a lot of problem. My computer was taking a lot of time to booting. And the most irritating problem was to scan any floppy or file because it takes years for the same.Norton is good antivirus only if you have a lot of RAM as Retaining has said at least 512 MB otherwise try Avast or AVG both are free and good antivirus.Now I am running windows 2000 server on my computer and unfortunatley running Norton Corporate Antivirus because so far I could not find any free antivirus for server computers.

This software is really so bad for your computer. My system is so slow with it.

Is there any way to speed up my system with norton ?

1064321536[/snapback]

One: Go to http://download.cnet.com/windows/ and search for ZoneAlarm basic (for firewall protection - it's free).

Two: Go back to http://download.cnet.com/windows/ and search for a free antivirus. (I like AVG Free Edition, myself - no cost, ever, but you can still set it to automatically update).

Three: Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall that memory-sucking behemoth that is commonly called Norton.

Yes. I hate it. It came prepackaged with a 60-day trial on my notebook ... and that was only a few weeks ago ... but I went to uninstall it (Norton Internet Security - full range of utterly useless junk) and it was taking up almost 40 megs of hard drive space. Not to mention an obscene amount of memory.

Needless to say, I'm not reinstalling that stupid program.

I have always sworn by Norton personally. Their were a few versions that I just couldn't stand but I have been using Norton 2005 premier and yes you do have to have over 512 megs of ram but still with all the utilities that come with it I have to say that even with its resource hogging but I still find it to be one of the best antivirus programs I have used.But thats just my opinion.

Norton and one otimo anti virus... But, it demands sufficiently of its computer... If its computer will not be so good... I will choose the Avast or the AVG that is free and leves^^

Note:]/b] I use two Anti-Virus at the same time, never believe, already I tried this...

Bye