xisto Community
chickenside

Help Needed: Monitor Out Of Timing Out of Timing error with certain apps

I've decided to convert to an LCD monitor over the CRT, which I believe to be infinitely better.Anyway there are certain applications that, when I start up, the monitor goes black and a message says: Out of Timing H: 43 Hz V 27kHz.Or something like that. Any help? Drivers are up to date, and I think it's not influenced by resolution. I'd like to get this to work because it was rather large investment.Thanks.

I can only offer my hypothesis of what the problem is, I can't be definite, and I can't offer a solution. If you could tell me what applications have caused, this, I couldhelp more, also, system specs would be helpful. Anyway, I've had a similar problem when trying to access SuperVGA modes in my assembly programs. This issue is caused when the computer is placed into a screen mode that either has a too high refresh rate or a too low refresh rate for the monitor to handle. I'm still looking into fixing this myself, and as I find solutions, I'll let you know. In the meantime, your system specs and the programs causing the problem would be very helpful, as I said before.~Viz

AFAIK, Windows apps look to Windows to see what monitor refresh rates are available. So Windows seems to be telling the app there is a rate available that really isn't. My only guess is that maybe you've not ticked the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" so apps only get sensible settings from Windows.In Linux, you can actually manually specify these rates .. it's in a config file. There is a similar file for this in Windows ... it'll be an .inf file, something like ibmLcd.inf! Another option is to set specific refresh rates in a very cool app I used a while back called PowerStrip (http://www.entechtaiwan.com/). Pretty much the only way to get Windoze to play nice with high dpi LCDs!Finally, have you tried to see what happens when you go into safe mode (I think that's SVGA mode) ... and then launch the app ... may be that will restrict to a certain set of refresh rates too. Not useful I know, but at least you'd then know it was this "list".

Yes, Safe Mode is now an SVGA mode. It used to be a vga mode. On that note, when you press the f8 key and windows lets you boot into "VGA Mode" why is it called vga mode? It's 640 x 480 x 256 bit color at worst, which is already SVGA.~Viz

Yes, Safe Mode is now an SVGA mode.  It used to be a vga mode.  On that note, when you press the f8 key and windows lets you boot into "VGA Mode" why is it called vga mode?  It's 640 x 480 x 256 bit color at worst, which is already SVGA.

~Viz

1064323062[/snapback]

He he, I thought of that too a while ago. I never found an answer, but my guess is that they think of VGA/640x480 as a subset of SVGA/800x600 (although it isn't a nice divisor at /1.25 ... I guess maybe that was the naming of Super-VGA too .. as a "Super-set" B)). That's the only thing that makes sense to me ... but only at a long stretch of the imagination.

On a sidenote, how VGA itself came about is explained nicely in some slashdot clippings at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Computer_display_standard

It's so long ago, or I was so little, that I'd forgotten all of these "standards" :P. And now we're at HUXGA-W .. which doesn't even have any monitors at that resolution yet!!

This might be because windows/drivers linked a wrong (too high) refreshrate to a resolution.You might look around for a refresh rate fix for your video card drivers, so you can set the max. refresh rate per resolutions (should be 60 or 70Hz).If this is not the problem, then it probably uses a resolution your monitor doesn't support. I know you can change the max. resolution in ATI drivers, dunno if possible in NV/intel/matrox drivers.

Out of Timing

Help Needed: Monitor Out Of Timing

Hey I have the same problem as chickenside - when I turn my computer on and I'm using my lCd monitor I get an out of timing error with random numbers next to H and V. It's weird b/c if I hook up my old CRT it works fine and I can see windows loading and all the startup info but not with my LCD. Every now and then windows won't start and I've learned it's b/c I'm getting a startup monitor error, so I press F1 to ignore it (I only know this b/c I've hooked up my CRT when windows won't load and that's what it says) and then windows loads. I'm not gonna lie it's really really annoying to not be able to see what's going on!

Any suggestions? Anyone?

Thanks

-reply by GoRapsGo