xisto Community
m3ch4

Your Opinion Please: Shopping For A New OS

Hi, here's my problem, my main internet computer just died on me again, it's a hardware problem that is going to take a bit of time to fix (ie, enough time to let me put money away to buy a new mobo). In the mean time I have a (pair) of p3 computers in working order (that I just recently aquired and have yet to set up) that I can use as a temporary replacement. My only concern is that I would like to keep them up and running once I fix my main computer so I don't want to install the only real version of windows xp that I own on one of them, otherwise I can't use it for my main computer.I'm looking for suggestions from people for the best operating system to install on the temporary computer(s). The computer will only be used for internet related stuff, browsing, chatting, downloading. They are p3s, 733 mhz each most likely, 256 ram with 20 gb space each and base-10 ethernet cards.If you could please make a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated. (ps, if this is in the wrong area, my apologizes, it seemed the most appropriate place to make the request)

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

Well, shop no further, use Linux, it will not die on you (unless you accidentally delete the kernel). Damn Small Linux, Knoppix and SuSE are great for the computer u specified. It works perfect on them. All available for free!

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
https://www.suse.com/
http://www.knoppix.org/

Happy Linuxing!

xboxrulz

Linux is the way to go, I suggest Debian, it's just the way go my friend.If you want to stick to the windows world, well, then I suggest you get your hands on a windows 98 SE, then of all the windoz you could install in a P3 this is probably the best one.

If you want to go cheap, try to find a second handed Win98 cd and key, no probs if you install it on more computers.If you want to go for linux, then get Suse, I have it running on nearly the same system (except it has 192Mb memory and a way to slow and small 3.2Gb Hdd).Works like a charm ;)

I'd definately say MEPIS Linux. It comes with KDE, and, unlike Ubuntu, comes with a very nice-looking, easy-to-use installer. It looks like regular SimpleMEPIS would work for you, but if it would run slow, I'd try MEPISLite. :)

Although none of the *.NIX can kill the Windows in ease of use and overall enjoyment.I say install 98 or Me. Get them second hand if u want to go cheap.Now if you are sure you have the right modem drivers and other device drivers for Linux, then only you should think of moving to Linux.And once you decide to move to Linux, I think Mandrake 10.1 is the best. I prefer using it more than XP since I have got nearly everything set up on it. I got Opera, FireFox as browsers and then Ares, Kazaa (running on wine) and Limewire as the P2P.Lime wire is damn heavy, Ares is the best.Then you have Kopete as an all rounder (multi-protocol) chat client (for yahoo msn etc). So all in all, you can carry on with your day to day life just like on windows :-).

I'd agree with the linux idea. If you only use it for basic tasks then even if you are a complete linux newbie it won't matter. I'd reccomend Ubuntu if you are indeed new to linux since it has amazing hardware auto-detection/setup and their forums will tell you the answers to any other question you have. Also all the debian based distros have apt-get, making obtaining and installing software a breeze. This is why Mepis is also reccomended by myself. But if you aren't doing anything complex on it, any linux is your best bet.

I just installed Mandriva on a PIII computer, just for surfing on the net. The install was fast and easy, and configuring the browser to define the proxy was easy, and I went on the net very fast. So, Mandriva on a PIII, in my opinion, is a good solution for a free OS during a short period of time.

You could also try ReactOS which is a free Windows clone.
http://www.reactos.org/

hehe i was going to give this along with some other Linux choices, reactos seems very promising since it would solve the only for windows driver problems and be a complete free OS, however i would definitely recommend that you try Linux, what to choose is suse or mandrake if you want an easy to install system, for the desktop ease of use i think kde or gnome are the best choice, i usually go with gnome as it looks really nice and has everything you need, but kde isn't bad either the new version seems nice i used to hate its looks and it reminded me of windows, i still hate it for that.

this would help you choose :Phttp://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/