xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
destinyblue21

What's Going On In Hip-hop?

I really don't know why all these rappers are argueing about make money, they need to do something smart with their money and stop dissing one another, It's all about entertainmentbut they take it to the another level, wake up people there are bigger problems to solve. ;)

I really don't know why all these rappers are argueing about make money, they need to do something smart with their money and stop dissing one another, It's all about entertainment

but they take it to the another level, wake up people there are bigger problems to solve. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see any motivation for most rappers to care about the bigger issues and problems. I mean, okay ... Eminem has had his say about things like the war, the Bush administration, etc ... so in my opinion, he's doing something more than just trying to sell records. The same goes for any other artist in any other forum (writer, painter, whatever), who makes some sort of statement that wasn't created just because they knew it would sell.

However: we buy into it every day. Look at how record sales skyrocketed when the Michael Jackson stuff started again? Yeah - even people who really didn't like the guy OR his music were checking it out. Sad but true. The same goes for beefs that rappers have with each other. Even if those beefs are leigtimate (i.e. not created just to stir up controversy and make us more willing to dish up cash for the records and other merchandise) ... well, they're going to play up those beefs as much as they can because it gets them onto the front page of The Source.

It's stupid, really, but as long as so many fans are buying into it, few rappers are going to have any motivation to do anything *truly* productive with their forums. And it'll just get worse.

Now ... I'll shut up before I go on a really long tangent about how rap used to be about something besides cars, women and hedonism in general. *sighs*