xisto Community
iGuest

How Long Is Your PC Boot Time ?

How long does ur pc normally take to boot up?I've got a 3GHz CPU, 512mb RAM, ATI RADEON 9600 graphics, 200gb hard drive yet my PC takes like 2 minutes to fully boot up and be usable. (excluding typing password) Is this normal? It seem a bit long?Any thoughts?_________________

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

How long does ur pc normally take to boot up?

I've got a 3GHz CPU, 512mb RAM, ATI RADEON 9600 graphics, 200gb hard drive yet my PC takes like 2 minutes to fully boot up and be usable. (excluding typing password) Is this normal? It seem a bit long?

Any thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a lot of things that can slow down computers that were once really fast (like yours). Let's see ... remove spyware ... check your "Startup" folder to see what all junk has added itself to it. (Sometimes when you install things like AIM software they automatically add themselves to the startup thing, which can slow it down a bit). You should also defrag your hard drive.

But really: two minutes isn't all that bad if you're running XP. I've had it take a little less time than that, but I've also had it take longer (before I dumped a bunch of junk that I didn't really want or need, I mean).

Hope that helps.

mine takes 50sec to enter the password and half a min later it's ready.Normaly it goes faster (3 little bars in boot screen wouldn't even pass half of the complete bar, if you know what I mean). If it booted faster before, run spyware scans, virusscans, slim down the amount of start-up program (start>run>msconfig>startup(last tab)).Defrag the hdd and tweak the prefetch:In regedit:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParametersChange the EnablePrefetcher value to 5

Mine is celeron 2.5ghz,1024 mb ram, 80gb x 2 hard disks. Well Iam using tri boot system, One has Windows 2000, another windows server, And XP ..! Just now i measured the speed of my XP Boot. It takes around 1 minute to be fully functional, Although I have not tweaked my system, I guess as i have installed very less programs in XP so its a bit faster, I have noticed that If i stull Many installations in a single boot ... it gets slow day by day,! So Avoid doing too many installations ...60% times Uninstallation Too leaves Back registry keys in the registry .. So I clean up the regisrty many times ... Use Ad aware SE to get rid of any spyware,But me too have to reinstall XP after 6months or so... Else it goes becoming Slow day by day.... dont know why so With XP ! Also defragmenting drives will help you a lot ! Open Run command And type- msconfig Select selective Startup in the option,, then click Startup and services tabs and remove any waste Startup keys ... As useless programmes try loading at startup , hence consuming a lot of time,{ remember nor to remove important programmes like antivirus/audio-video drivers etc.. }Follow this and iam sure your boot time will reduce by 40-50 seconds !Well your system is very faster So 2 minutes is a bit long time for booting up ! Hope you fix that Soon . Regards,Casanova,

My computer is running windows 2000 server. It is 2.2 Ghz, 128 MB ram, 40 GB harddrive. As my RAM is very less it takes more than 5 minutes to be ready to work. I am totally frustred by it and soon going to get 512 MB ram. Earlier than it I was running windows XP and the time taken was almost same.

Well mine boots up to 40 sec. it's a 1,6 ghz Duron, overclocked to 2,0 ghz. After 40 seconds of boot time, it's fully usable, when I enter password, after 10-15 second, overall about 1 minute...And, when I hibernate it, it's usable under 15 seconds...

I'm stuck to a hp pavilion a426d right now and the startup time is 1 minute and 16 seconds. Running a Intel P4 2.6GHz, PC2100 384MB RAM, 40GB Ultra DMA HD, Integrated Graphics. My startup programs will be AntiVir PE, Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, Cacheman XP and MSN Messenger. Other than using msconfig to tweak your startup, you can also run services.msc to disable services that you don't use such as Print Spooler if you have no printer, etc. Disabling USB ports through Device Manager you don't use may also help but I'm not too sure about that.

My Bubba is an Enpower Nitro custom-built by the guys from PC Club, with an AMD Athlon64 1800+, a half a gig of RAM, and an 80 gig hard drive, and I usually get to the XP Home login screen within 45 seconds. ;)

my computer is 2.66Ghz 1.5GB Ram... and it used to take forever to boot up.. then i had to wipe the hard drive and reinstall XP Pro... plus i added a second hard drive that i keep most of my stuff on... so now it only takes like 45 seconds generally to boot up..but yeah, depending on what all you have on the hard drive, and what has to load up during startup, it can take a while... you may try defragmenting your hard drive.. i dunno how much help that will do for startup, but it does help the computer ;)

My computer is slow since I had to reload Windows back onto it, so it take like a little over 2 minutes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

base windows OS takes like 10 seconds to load the desktop

now depending on your ram and processor yes it could take longer

I have a 1.3 Ghz 512 MB 40 GB C:\ 120 GB F:\ DVD Burner E:\ CD Burner D:\

with junk in my startup and it takes about 30 secs to get my desktop.

If I disable trillian I could knock off 5 secs, but what is 5 secs anyways.

Always defrag your computer at least monthly if not more if your really active you need to do it once a week.

It takes a little less than a minute on my system which is Athlon 2500+ O/C'd to 3200+, 512 MB RAM, and a WD Raptor 10K RPM SATA HDD. There are a couple of things that slow that down, such as RAID boot screens, hardware profile selection, and memory virus scan, but it's pretty decent. Windows is configured to automatically enter my password, and it takes about 2 seconds to go from the welcome screen to completely booted (I tweaked my services.)

It's quite long, I have a P4 1.6 Ghz laptop, with 256 MB, No HT or any fancy features on my processor, it's from the first ones that came out... takes about 1 minute to boot Windows XP home and all its crap (and other services like Norton Antivirus).On the same laptop I had another hard drive, and during the dying period of this drive it was quite slow, sometimes it took about 5 or even 10 minutes to boot (Yep it was that bad)On a second thought, you might be under the painful effects of a virus, spyware or just too many services running.

my computer a 300mgz 128md ram with win98 boots in about 30 seconds. but with winXP on it, it takes like 2 minutes to boot!both being simultaneously on the system, on different partitions.. sometimes i see defragmenting working, but on XP i dunt see any effects.hopefully, future releases of OS will start much quicker.and btw, the win98 one shuts down almost immediately! heh!