xisto Community
iGuest

Where Can I Find A Virtual CD-ROM Drive Software ?

I use this and also suggest this to new users since it is easy to learn and can emulate a cd drive or dvd drive and can mount a file just by right clicking on it :

Alcohol 120%

-It duplicates your CD/DVDs: Alcohol handles copy protections and it has easy presets for each kind of task: Playstation (1&2), SecuROM, ProtectCD, SafeDisc, VideoCD..
-It burns your CD images: Supported image types are BIN/CUE, CloneCD, BlindWrite, ISO, DiscJuggler, Nero

-It mounts CD images as virtual drives: You can use CDs directly from image files on your HD and enjoy much faster speed. It emulates copy protections. You can use this also to use your downloaded images without burning!

I agree, Alcohol is probably the easiest to use to do what you want. If you want another alternative, try out Nero. It has a few more steps but will do the same job. Nero will also burn your CDs and DVDs as well.

Both of the above are paid/commercial programs. If you want a free one that only does emulation of cd drives, then take a look at Daemon Tools.

I've downloaded the trial version Alcohol 120% from their web site but is seems that I can keep it forever because it doesn't say anything like Days left: ?? anywhere. Only a pop-up window comes up when you open up the program with two buttons Buy Now! and Ok, but to press Ok you need to wait 10 seconds. If I'm not overseeing something here this is not a trial version this is a full version but to open it you need to wait 10 seconds.

I would recommend you gvie Daemon-Tool a try.
This is a very small software, 492 KB only.
With Daemon, you can have maximum 4 Virtual Cd-rom Drives if you want.

it is also able to emulate nearly all known copy protections on the market today, such as Saftdisk, Securom etc.

It supports lots of image file type, which include cue, iso,ccd (clone CD),bwt,mds (Alcohol),and cdi format.

You can get it here
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/deu/home

and they have a forum for supporting users.

I use Nero Image Drive: http://www.nero.com/eng/index.php?vlang=gb

Works perfectly, it has an option to mount the ISO everytime I boot, works perfectly if you burned your Applications to a CD Image.

1064320623[/snapback]

Maybe, if you are looking for a professional solution http://www.virtualcd.de/ might be the right product for you.

The following features will be supported within this:

- Availability of up to 23 virtual drives.

- Unlimited number of virtual CDs.

- Editor to create virtual CDs with any content.

- Automatic recognition of title, album, and artist for audio CDs.

- Supports DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, Photo-CD and CD-Text formats.

- Easy-to-use, simplified copy mode for the novice user.

- Virtual CDs can be organized in folders.

- Import of ISO-conforming container files (data exchange with CD-R software).

- Improved data compression.

- Access to virtual CDs, which are within the network.

- Supports up to 99 audio tracks per virtual CD.

- Editing of existing virtual CDs with the Virtual CD Editor.

- Drive editor enables easy changes of the number of virtual drives.

- Virtual CDs are password-protected from unauthorized access.

We use this tool in our company on Terminalservers. The users (about 300) are very happy with this tool!!

Daniel

I prefer daemon tools, although the last version try to install a toolbar if you don't uncheck the right box :DAlcohol and nero are nice too but commercial and not immediate, or maybe I find DT so immediate and easy because I'm just used at it :P But the most important thing (to me) it's that DT have a larger list of compatible format and runs great on all of them :P

I use DTools since its so tiny and can run all the time and not have to worry about it since its such a lightweight app. I have 120% kicking around for the odd use but for the most part if you don't need the burning side of things Daemon Tools will fulfill your cd emulation needs.

just one question is .. what u need virtual drive for? ...if for simply check works of creating iso's etc use what u want (Nero Vd or Alco) but for dvd/cd iso/bin releases of 'demo' games from torrents for example the best option for now is Daemon Tools with SafeDisc 4 Hider